Off Road Caravan

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 22:59
ThreadID: 10374 Views:7254 Replies:10 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I am considering a small OffRoad capable caravan. Does anyone have experience /knowledge of the Track Trailers (ie builder of T-Van) All Terrain caravan?
Have also considered a single axle Kedron ATV.
Would like on board shower/toilet, and max length 16ft.
Tall order??
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: milo - Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 23:47

Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 23:47
Hi Bob,
I don't know if Track Trailers make a off road caravan but as you are probably aware the T-Van is a off road camping trailer.There are plenty of caravan manufacturers that make offroad models or so they claim.It depends on how serious you want to get.Bushtracker make a extremely tuff caravan - www.bushtracker.com - ph 0754765833.Phoenix is another and also Xtreme caravans 0755637500 all in Qld.Another option is to look in caravan magazines for second hand ones for any of the above because they are all very expensive new.I hope this helps.
AnswerID: 45934

Reply By: ross - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 01:34

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 01:34
Best place to look at vans is at the yearly caravan,camping and offroading exihibitions.Not sure where the next ones are but Im sure someone else will know.
It really is the best way to compare all the makes on one day and if your not sure you can go back and reinspect your shortlist after the show when the reps have got more time.
AnswerID: 45936

Reply By: flappan - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 09:01

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 09:01
My Parents have a 16ft Phoenix Offroad Van. It doesn't have a shower/loo but don't see why you couldn't get one fitted.

They bought a Phoenix rather then a Bushtracker , mostly cause of weight. The biggest BT they could tow with their TD Maverick , was 14 ft.

I don't know of Track Trailers Van's but both their T Van and Campertrailers are quality products.
AnswerID: 45950

Reply By: Rick Blaine - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 15:08

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 15:08
The Loo & shower is a wise move.. I got a shock tho when I saw the prices. Why Not consider any of the off road campers with an external loo & shower. Some i've seen take no time to set up.. but I guess you still have the problem of closing it all up... invariably when I make/break camp it's pouring rain so i can see a caravan is what your after. As others have suggested tho you may need to work out just how off road your going to go.
AnswerID: 45995

Reply By: Andy - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 20:47

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 20:47
Bob, I see you are in Brisbane. Tough choice betwen Kedron or Boroma. Kedron have some pretty strong ones and they test them by going outback. Look at their vidios.
Andy
AnswerID: 46053

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 00:41

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 00:41
I have a Windsor Rapid offroad van. Its only 13'6", but opens out to 23'. Its has 6" chassis rails, independent suspension, treg hitch and tows like a dream. It handles corrugated gravel roads very well and the only off-road limitation is its sheer size and weight (not in same league as say Kimberly Kamper).

I have had an external shower tent installed and use the good old porta poti. As we have two kids (6, 4) an internal shower/toilet would take up too much room that we need to entertain them, but one could be fitted as the expense of room.

In my experience, the biggest offroad limitation of towing is the weight (1.6T) of the van when on sand and the sheer size when on rough tracks. Ground clearance on my van has not been a major issue (unlike getting around tight tracks!!!) but that obviously depends on the track. These types of vans are simply too big for tracks like Cape York (I know the Kedron got there - but would you now buy that well used van!!!) and common sense needs to be used on where they can go.

But for the sheer luxury and convienece when off-road they are hard to beat. Setting up is a genuine 30 second job, unlike the major construction efforts of some types of camper trailers. But then, they will be able to go further offroad...

For me, it boils down to the convienece and luxury of a "true" caravan vs the greater off-road ability of the camper trailer style. I can carry a tent and leave the van at "base camp" when really going offroad, but then you have to make a return trip. It all boils down to what you plan to do.

Cheers

MarkMark
Nissan 2003 GU 3.0TD
AnswerID: 46098

Follow Up By: Mikef_Patrol - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 08:34

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 08:34
Hi Mark

We took delivery of our 14'6" Off Road Rapid 3 months ago. Have only used it once so far, on the bitumen, but it will get used lots more as time goes on.

Same thoughts as you, use it where you can, if not, leave it behind and take the tent. Easy. We tow with a 2002 3.0L TDi Patrol manual, and the thing is rock solid at 120KPH. So easy to tow.

BTW, love the Rapid, so much space for so little weight and length.

Now all I have to do is work out how to attach the Solar panels to the poptop.

Do you think it would be worth starting up a group for the Rapid on Yahoo or someplace similar? I have been toying with this for a while now, and I guess I'm seeking some idea as to whether it would be worth the effort. Most Rapid owners I have met are totally enthused by their vans?

MikeF
FollowupID: 308043

Reply By: Mikef_Patrol - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 08:42

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 08:42
Hi Mark

We took delivery of our 14'6" Off Road Rapid 3 months ago. Have only used it once so far, on the bitumen, but it will get used lots more as time goes on.

Same thoughts as you, use it where you can, if not, leave it behind and take the tent. Easy. We tow with a 2002 3.0L TDi Patrol manual, and the thing is rock solid at 120KPH. So easy to tow.

BTW, love the Rapid, so much space for so little weight and length.

Now all I have to do is work out how to attach the Solar panels to the poptop.

Do you think it would be worth starting up a group for the Rapid on Yahoo or someplace similar? I have been toying with this for a while now, and I guess I'm seeking some idea as to whether it would be worth the effort. Most Rapid owners I have met are totally enthused by their vans?

MikeF

ps Thought I would put this as a reply..gets to the top of the list them :D
AnswerID: 46113

Follow Up By: Diesel1 - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 09:11

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 09:11
'the thing is rock solid at 120KPH' ?????

If you are towing a van at that speed, it's no wonder that a lot of the general public have a low opinion of us 4wd owners.

Diesel1
FollowupID: 308044

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 09:47

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 09:47
Hi Mike, yeah every Windsor Rapid owner I have spoken to is wrapped in their van. As for a Rapid group it may provide some good ideas (like I have a bike carrier on the front "A" frame), but sounds like a lot of work to get a web group going. Already many van type groups going

Not too wrapped in the format of most of the freebe yahoo group type forums, really need to run a website and thats a LOT of work (speaking from experience). But the Avan website is a good example of a model specific website. But hey, if someone is prepared to do it then i will log in.

As for your solar panels, it is already be wired to the roof, just need to stick the panels down (thats why God made silicone!).

If you think the 3.0TD tows well already, wait till you try the Dtronic chip. Just installed it last week into my manual Patrol and went away for the weekend, makes a great tow vehicle even better. The cruise control holds 100km/h even on the hills now!

Cheers

MarkMark
Nissan 2003 GU 3.0TD
FollowupID: 308047

Reply By: Mikef_Patrol - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 09:24

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 09:24
Well Diesel1, it's like this..

If I need to overtake another vehicle, I know I can do it safely. Normally though, I sit on about 90-100KPH. Better for economy and safety that way.

So your presumption is incorrect. :P

Now i suppose Truckster will start wingeing because I am going too slow for him LOL

MikeF
AnswerID: 46119

Follow Up By: Diesel1 - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 09:39

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 09:39
Didn't mean to rattle your cage there Mike - it's just that I get a bit stirred up when drivers talk of towing vans at high speed. Living up here in the Territory you get to witness some incredible acts of stupidity by interstate tourists who believe that because a lot of our road network has no speed limit then they can go like a bat out of hell regardless of the fact they are towing a van.

Good to hear that you are probably not one of them.

Diesel1
FollowupID: 308182

Reply By: Member - Kevin (NSW/ACT) - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 13:07

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 13:07
At the Queanbeyan Show last weekend I asked the Track agent about the All Terrain caravan's development progress - apparently there have been some glitches and things are not progressing well on that front - best to check with Track directly though.

I have a 15' Supreme Getaway off-road caravan and am pretty happy with it. Doesn't have shower/toilet but I know they make models with them. Have taken it to Innamincka via Old Strzelecki Track with ease and from there to Thargomindah, again no problems. Also a few outback NSW dirt roads. Unit is heavy - about 2000 kg loaded - with 220 kg on the tow ball. It's only 7' wide which is a bonus on narrower tracks. Well worth a look in my opinion.

Cheers
Kevin - sitting here, thinking of there
------------------------------------------
2002 GU Patrol ST 4.2TD
2000 15' Supreme Getaway
AnswerID: 46320

Reply By: LynRoss - Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 19:51

Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 19:51
We have purchased an off road Coromal Caravan Pop Top in January 2003. Have taken it on some pretty awful corrugated roads with absolute confidence and absolutely NO PROBLEMS whatsoever. We are definitely very impressed. Will be taking it on longer trip this August and feel confident it will do the job. We do not have a shower/toilet, but it is available on this size van. We have definitely shaken the thing to pieces and not lost one thing or had any trouble. Good luck.
AnswerID: 46707

Sponsored Links