snorkle choice

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 14, 2013 at 19:53
ThreadID: 103767 Views:2779 Replies:1 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi crew, got an 08. bt50 & after a trip to cape York last year, found out very quickly that you got to have a snorkel, dust was real bad, has any one got an opinion on ,opposite lock snorkles, have bought a heap of there other gear , with no complaints, Cheers .
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Aug 15, 2013 at 07:26

Thursday, Aug 15, 2013 at 07:26
Ray,

I have no experience with the Opposite Lock branded snorkels, but can recommend the Safari snorkel.
This was the first accessory I added to my Colorado but not specifically for dust, although with a snorkel, the inlet is much higher and in clearer air than the normal intake under the front mudguard.
The main reason for a snorkel is protection from the ingress of water into the air intake when crossing flooded creeks, etc. which will stop a diesel stone dead, as in kaboom!

Safari snorkels are available from ARB and TJM outlets, amongst others and have a very good reputation.

Safari Snorkel for the BT50

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 516429

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Aug 15, 2013 at 07:29

Thursday, Aug 15, 2013 at 07:29
Ray,

Just had a squiz at the Opposite Lock site and their snorkels are shown as Safari Brand, so take your choice from ARB, TJM, or Opposite Lock distributors.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 795773

Follow Up By: 515 - Thursday, Aug 15, 2013 at 08:36

Thursday, Aug 15, 2013 at 08:36
Bill, I would suggest the main reason for a snorkel is for clean air then the occasional water crossing.
You spend more time on dusty roads than in water, dirty air filters use fuel and reduce engine performance/efficiency. Dust passing the air cleaner damage engines.
The bottom of the mailbox has a drain which to let water out, this can also let water in. Sealing this stops water draining (from heavy rain or freeway spray) it only takes a thimble of water to hydraulic an engine.

You should never cross flooded creeks, if you can't walk it, don't drive it.
FollowupID: 795774

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Thursday, Aug 15, 2013 at 12:12

Thursday, Aug 15, 2013 at 12:12
hi ray t1
x 3 for safari
I installed mine 15yrs ago and it has never cracked or failed in any way well made
the most important thing is how well it is installed
I sealed all the joints with silastic as I installed it myself
so that there was no chance of dust or water getting in
awell made snorkel is useless if the joints leak
I don't have a lot of faith in after market installers
when the safari turbo was installed by the local supplier he left a sharp piece of metal too close to the inter-cooler hose and after only 5000km it chapped through
but then refused to pay for the replacement $70 hose claiming it wasn't his fault
guess what
I don't go near his business anymore
cheers
FollowupID: 795789

Sponsored Links