Red Centre in October?

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 15, 2013 at 23:53
ThreadID: 103816 Views:1599 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
For the first time ever we have a holiday break of more than the usual 2 or 3 weeks. We should be able to leave Melbourne around the beginning of October and must be in Brisbane about the middle of November. This gives us 6 - 7 weeks to do our first biggish trip. Unfortunately it seems to be the wrong time of year to go just about everywhere we want to go. Right across the top it will be 30 to 40 degrees and Perth, which would be perfect in terms of temperature, is just too far from Brisbane for that time frame.

We have never done the Red Centre and the time and distance would be just right. But it seems that even in the Centre it will be pretty hot in October/November. We will be travelling with a 4WD and Jayco Penguin Outback.

Can anyone who has been in the Centre at that time of year give us an idea of how a couple of (sixtyish) Victorians might find the climate?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rohan C - Friday, Aug 16, 2013 at 11:21

Friday, Aug 16, 2013 at 11:21
Hi Keith,

Yes expect it to be hot, so best advice is get up early and enjoy the mornings before it becomes unbearable. Find a good swimming hole in the afternoons and a cool drink. Lots of amazing short walks to enjoy in the Macdonnel Ranges. Ellery creek big hole is usually good for an afternoon swim and depending on rains other gorges can hold water.
Enjoy
AnswerID: 516511

Reply By: Robin Miller - Friday, Aug 16, 2013 at 11:53

Friday, Aug 16, 2013 at 11:53
I never find it to bad but perhaps thats because of our driving style Keith, just lazing along at 90 right through the hot afternoon hours in an air conditioned car really isn't bad.

Its worthwhile though to ensure you have no direct exposure to sun , e.g. not only window tint film designed to reflect heat (not the stuff optimized for a dark look) as well as shades that can be positioned to stop sun thru windscreen or the tinted side windows is worth doing and doing right.

Even got a 150mm wide strip of film added across our windscreen.

Our car fridge is positioned between the Patrols front bucket seats and makes it easy to get a cool one whenever.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 516513

Follow Up By: prado 01 - Friday, Aug 16, 2013 at 15:08

Friday, Aug 16, 2013 at 15:08
Oh yeh......Great advice if you don't ever get out of your car !
Cheers

FollowupID: 795859

Reply By: phantom - Friday, Aug 16, 2013 at 16:04

Friday, Aug 16, 2013 at 16:04
Hi Keith,
The good lady, 11YO son and I did an 8 week trip last year from Melbourne in late September up through the centre to Darwin and then across to the East coast, stopping at Mount Remarkable, Coober Pedy, Kings Canyon, Ulura, Alice, Devils Marbles, Mataranka, Darwin, Kakadu, Katherine before headng to Three ways and across to the coast. We stayed in tents and had no issues with the heat. Would do it again tomorrow. Good time to go as most places were pretty empty with a good choice of camp sites.
We travelled in a 2WD towing a lock up trailer for our gear.
Enjoy.

Rob
AnswerID: 516525

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Friday, Aug 16, 2013 at 19:43

Friday, Aug 16, 2013 at 19:43
Hi Keith, checking the BoM shows that in Oct 2012 Alice Springs ranged from 4 to 42!!! The coolest max was 22.5 but the warmest min was 23.4. Average for the month was 13.5 to 33.4 but of course that is just a mathematical construct. Basically it means that some mornings could be quite chilly and a week later it will be stinking hot mid afternoon. We once walked in the Olgas in April at 35 degrees and it was simply too hot. The next day it was a pleasant 25. As others have said, start early and then relax around the pool in the heat of the afternoon or do your driving from noon till 5pm. It is low humidity in the Red Centre so won't feel as sticky as on the coast..... W
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 516531

Reply By: KeithT - Saturday, Aug 17, 2013 at 00:18

Saturday, Aug 17, 2013 at 00:18
Thanks everyone for the all the good info. I guess it does mean working around the hottest times and using the cooler periods to best advantage. Will have to talk it over with my wife and see if she is willing to brave it. :)

All really good feedback. Thanks again Keith
AnswerID: 516553

Reply By: Sandman - Saturday, Aug 17, 2013 at 13:52

Saturday, Aug 17, 2013 at 13:52
Hi Keith

October should be ok though November will start to get a little warm. We haven't had much of a winter up here at all, lowest was 0c, last year we hit -7c. We've already had days in the 30s so I suspect its going to be a warm summer.

Because it never dipped past 0c, the flies didn't take a hit. Suggest buying the fly head net locally when you get here when heading out into the bush or they will ruin your time here...
We were at Lambert Center 2 weekends ago and the flies were nuts already

Pete in Alice
AnswerID: 516574

Reply By: KeithT - Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 23:05

Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 23:05
Thanks Pete :)
AnswerID: 516743

Sponsored Links