Carrying our rubbish.

Submitted: Friday, Aug 16, 2013 at 07:58
ThreadID: 103822 Views:2371 Replies:9 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone got any ideas on the best way to carry our rubbish? We normally use plastic bags but they are quite fragile. Is there something purpose made that is both watertight and odour protective? We'll have our two dogs in the back of the Cruiser so it would have to be something strong.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Friday, Aug 16, 2013 at 08:08

Friday, Aug 16, 2013 at 08:08
We use a canvas tyre bag for rubbish.

We burn everything and pick up the remains when cool and take with us, this has reduced our need to carry rubbish..... the other thing is you are not carrying food smells that attract animals and increasing the chance of becoming sick.

We use cans over bottles as the squash smaller and don't shatter when empty.

As I said burn everything and once cold take it with you.
AnswerID: 516474

Reply By: The Bantam - Friday, Aug 16, 2013 at 08:21

Friday, Aug 16, 2013 at 08:21
most of the 4wd accessory companies sell "dirty gear bags" that mostly hang on the spare wheel.
Many people use these for their rubbish.

As mentioned above, the modification of the old "burn Bash & burry" to "burn bash and carry" will reduce your volume considerbly.

If you have a ute, a 20 liter drum with either a snap on or screw top lid works pretty well.

As far as the smelly food waste.....well if you have dogs with you, storing some of that in the dogs is entirely practical.

cheers
AnswerID: 516477

Follow Up By: dermie66 - Friday, Aug 16, 2013 at 10:13

Friday, Aug 16, 2013 at 10:13
Hmmm...brings to mind some of the scenes from the movie "Red Dog"

FollowupID: 795825

Reply By: Member - Outback Gazz - Friday, Aug 16, 2013 at 08:50

Friday, Aug 16, 2013 at 08:50
G'day Phill

I use those red white and blue plastic bags from cheap as chips or go-lo etc - they cost about 2 to 3 dollars. They come in small, medium and large and have a zip to close and depending on what I put in them I use one inside another. I take at least half dozen of each size with me depending on where I am going. They are ten times stronger than normal plastic bags and for only a few dollars I just throw them away at the nearest tip. They are not 100 percent waterproof or odourproof but do the job fairly well for little cost and only take up a small amount of space.

Cheers

Gazz
AnswerID: 516484

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Friday, Aug 16, 2013 at 10:32

Friday, Aug 16, 2013 at 10:32
Same as others above. A rubberised canvas rubbish bag hung on the spare wheel. Don't just toss the rubbish in the bag. Line the bag with a big rubbish bin liner and then use smaller ones inside the large bag. No leaks or accidents in several years. No smells either.

Phil

AnswerID: 516505

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Friday, Aug 16, 2013 at 20:06

Friday, Aug 16, 2013 at 20:06
Before I had the spare wheel carrier which I now hang a canvas rubbish bag off of I used a chaff bag. And when I finally got a wheel carrier I still used the chaff bag but I lashed it to the carrier. Before that I just stored the rubbish in the bag on the roof rack.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 516534

Reply By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Friday, Aug 16, 2013 at 21:18

Friday, Aug 16, 2013 at 21:18
Thanks everyone. It would seem that burn off is the way to go where we can. Don't have a spare to hang a bag over so that will be out. Some other useful suggestions so all very helpful.
Appreciate it guys.
AnswerID: 516541

Follow Up By: Member - johnat - Friday, Aug 16, 2013 at 21:38

Friday, Aug 16, 2013 at 21:38
Please tell me that I did not read that right!

You DO NOT have a spare?? Kidding, right?
FollowupID: 795897

Follow Up By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Saturday, Aug 17, 2013 at 07:38

Saturday, Aug 17, 2013 at 07:38
LOL. Nah Johnat. I don't like the rear wheel carriers hanging off the back of the cruiser, so I have just have the standard spare slung under the back. For our Kimberley trip, I am going to carry a second spare on the roof-rack. We have a spare slung off the back of the van but have good reason not to cover it with a rubbish bag, although some of the more informed out there may say there is good reason to!!!! LOL
FollowupID: 795910

Reply By: Kilcowera Station Stay - Saturday, Aug 17, 2013 at 08:51

Saturday, Aug 17, 2013 at 08:51
A big bug bear to us are the well meaning guests who burn their rubbish in the firepits we provide with the wood we provide and then leave the burnt rubbish for us to shovel out and take away. Burnt rubbish is still rubbish and it's littering. So is throwing cigarette butts out all over the place. I must say though that we don't get a lot of rubbish left behind, most visitors take it with them. Toni
AnswerID: 516561

Follow Up By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Saturday, Aug 17, 2013 at 16:56

Saturday, Aug 17, 2013 at 16:56
Don't worry Toni. Wherever we are we'll be mindful of what we burn and what is left. We don't expect people to clear up after us. Another good thing........neither of us smoke. I do agree with you though, the fag butt issue is turning into an epidemic.
FollowupID: 795940

Follow Up By: Barbera72 - Saturday, Aug 17, 2013 at 17:21

Saturday, Aug 17, 2013 at 17:21
Agree here. I'm horrified thinking about burning rubbish especially plastic, since so often we find firepits full of burned plastic and cans/stubbies that need to be cleaned before use. Not saying of course people on the forum would ever leave burned or unburned rubbish behind, but organizing your trip in a way to reduce to the minimum the physical production of rubbish is the way to go. IMO. Then the canvas bag strapped on the spare is the way to go.
FollowupID: 795942

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Saturday, Aug 17, 2013 at 17:41

Saturday, Aug 17, 2013 at 17:41
There are many who don't burn their rubbish..... and they don't take it with them, they dig a hole 6 inches deep and dump it there for all to find later on.

Burning is the most sensible way of dealing with waste, but you have to take it with you.

Barbera I don't know how much remote travelling you have done.... " but organizing your trip in a way to reduce to the minimum the physical production of rubbish is the way to go" Is near impossible and most stuff is packaged in plastic of some form.

You might be able to get away with it for a short trip but try a few weeks.

Why are you so horrified about burning rubbish?
FollowupID: 795944

Follow Up By: Kilcowera Station Stay - Saturday, Aug 17, 2013 at 18:13

Saturday, Aug 17, 2013 at 18:13
Totally agree, burn what you can, it's easy, just have a good fire going and give your burnings a bit of a stir as they burn. But cans and bottles don't burn at all. They are the things to dispose of properly. Another thing - toilet paper burns very well in a fire, and then it's gone, not all over the countryside.
FollowupID: 795947

Follow Up By: Barbera72 - Saturday, Aug 17, 2013 at 18:16

Saturday, Aug 17, 2013 at 18:16
Yes olcoolone, I understand your post and agree on some burning. I'm aware of the fact everybody burn rubbish and so be it, I don't want to debate that since I'm in a small minority. My remote travelling sometimes consist in trips without a vehicle (long bushwalks and climbing) so when I travel with my 4x4 I organize the food the same way (packing and cooking) in a way I only produce a small volume of rubbish that can be carried easily for a week or 10 days. I don't think I ever had to carry rubbish for more than 10 days from memory (never done the CSR or Madigan).
But aside, the fact is the bush is full of campspots with firepits full of rubbish. The Simpson Desert for example, don't know if you would define it remote nowadays, has a trail of rubbish along the main lines. Some fire spots have an enormous amount of bottles and cluster of burned plastic. I camped with and saw people who produce an amazing amount of rubbish.
That's all I meant
FollowupID: 795948

Follow Up By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Saturday, Aug 17, 2013 at 19:39

Saturday, Aug 17, 2013 at 19:39
Well the question of `burning' rubbish took an unexpected turn for me. It wouldn't have even occured to me, to try and burn materials, that wouldn't burn!!! I wouldn't consider putting glass or plastic into a fire. Those items would have to come with me and be disposed of correctly.
To minimise trash we vacum pack our meat, so as we can disguard that polysterene type tray it comes in, before we leave. Tins, we use a crusher to flatten them. That saves space.
Most of our rubbish is supplies we buy once on the trip. I guess the only way to cut down on odour is to rinse with water? I could collect our grey water and rinse, this would then reduce odour problems? Hmmm.
FollowupID: 795954

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Saturday, Aug 17, 2013 at 22:14

Saturday, Aug 17, 2013 at 22:14
Phill, we burn tins as well to remove the leftovers inside and we never travel with glass for two reasons..... it takes up too much room when empty and the second thing is is shatters especially when empty.

Back in June when we did the Madigan and at one of the camps there was toilet paper scattered everywhere.

This touches on another subject, you should alway burn you toilet paper.

We travel with a lot of pre cooked meals along with fresh stuff, our last trip was 25 days from the time we left home to the time back including 20 days in the deserts.

You will find most seasoned remote travellers will burn everything .... and collect the remains to take with them.

FollowupID: 795967

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Saturday, Aug 17, 2013 at 23:14

Saturday, Aug 17, 2013 at 23:14
We use two different garbage bags within a rear wheel mounted bag.
One is for non burnables such as can & bottles, crush the cans obviously.
The other holds everything that can be burned and is dumped on the fire when appropriate.

Just on the toilet paper burning issue, I used to burn the paper in the hole before filling it in. Sometimes this can take awhile especially if you have used a wet one as part of the process or if its the better half doing a number one and requiring a wipe as girls do then its a bit hard burning the paper.
What we now do is to include some brown paper lunch bags in with our toilet roll carry bag. We then put the used toilet paper and wet ones into the brown paper bag and then they are put in the rubbish burn bag mentioned above.
They are then burnt as a whole with the other rubbish.
We know what's in the brown paper bags so its no big issue.
It's a system that works very well, quicker & cleaner all round with no risk of paper escape or setting fire to the bush :)
The paper bags cost next to nothing from the supermarket.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 516602

Reply By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Sunday, Aug 18, 2013 at 07:56

Sunday, Aug 18, 2013 at 07:56
Okey dokey. Clear up as would be normal, and also pay attention to anything the is burnt and in itself would create an impact, would be the way to go. We have a couple of cassettes for human waste so burning the toilet paper not an issue.

Thanks all.
AnswerID: 516609

Sponsored Links