HJ60 Suspension upgrade

Submitted: Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 21:59
ThreadID: 10403 Views:4835 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Any advice would be welcome. I have an HJ 60 Landcruiser (diesel) with a very saggy tail - leaf springs all around in fact are pretty well flat. Have spoken to both ARB and Opposite lock, as well as other non-4wd suspension suppliers in town here. Seems that re-setting the leaves is not a long term option as they sag again fairly quickly. Comparison between the OME (ARB) system and the Opposite lock systems would be invaluable. I read on this forum some episodes of the OME nitro shocks failing.
I should say at this point that while I'm not a serious 4wd-er, I do like to get off the road. I have a young family, we like to access camp spots, we tow a light trailer, and the vehicle is at times fairly loaded. I live out of town (Tamworth) on acres - carry feed for stock, use the vehicle a bit in the paddocks etc. Having said this, most of the time it's just me in the vehicle to and fro to work!
Looking at the OME light - medium leaves with nitro shocks versus the OL Business medium pack with their tough dog shocks. OL can do me a price that is some $500 cheaper so this is where I am leaning at this stage. Any comments greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 22:14

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 22:14
Ollie I use the OME systym and to date not had a problem and the gear has done about 200,000 k and its on a legend of the bush [60 series]
Another thing you could do is put a pair off poly bags in the rear for when you carry a load.

All the best
Eric

www.capeyorkconnections.com.auCape York Connections
AnswerID: 46068

Follow Up By: Ollie - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 16:11

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 16:11
Thanks Eric. Any comments from anyone re the OL suspension welcome.
FollowupID: 308083

Reply By: ross - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 18:19

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 18:19
I used Dobinson leaves on my 73 series which exceeded my expectations.After a couple of months the ride has improved even more and become more flexible off road .The price of $670 inc GST for 4 double wrap springs from TJM Megastore also pleased me.Its similar for a 60
I spent another $400 on greasable shackles and pins,u bolts, bushes,sway bar mont kits ect sourcing them from whom ever offered quality with fair price. I kept my shockies as they were still newish.
I spent another $350 on labour to have it all fitted(a little steep maybe).
Then I bought 2 new BFG 33X10.5 at $500 and another 2 near new at $250 plus $40 for wheel allignment.
Total $2210 for a good ride and nearly 5inches above the old level of the 2 inch sag.
I have priced a number of components from OL such as greasable shackles.
OLs price $72. Small 2 man shop for the identical product $26.
I dont know who pays for all those highly modded comp vehicles with the OL logo but it aint me!!
AnswerID: 46179

Sponsored Links