Kangaroo Island Caravan Parks

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 24, 2013 at 21:48
ThreadID: 104030 Views:1899 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Kangaroo Island has a few caravan parks. Anybody stayed at any and can reccomend a particular one? I believe the free council grounds are first come first serve, and as i'm looking at going there in January, i'm guessing it might be a bit full, so I thought I better book somewhere instead.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 08:23

Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 08:23
Hi SDG

There are only 3 Caravan Parks over on KI. Read my blogs on my trips over there, as there is far more to see and do over there than you may think.

We spend more time at the Western KI Park...a great little spot to stay. The Council Park at American River is also a great place to stay. Another great place to stay, but bush camping is out at Chapman River. There are 2 areas, the western and eastern sides.

Enjoy your stay over on KI.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 517050

Reply By: Jeremy W - Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 10:15

Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 10:15
This is a bit of a negative reply ...

From a report by my son ( history of visiting the island for the last 20 years ) try not to use the facilities at Stokes Bay. It is a very nice place to visit but can get quite over crowded.

Please remember that the island is quite a large island so if you camp at one end ( say Penneshaw) be prepared for quite long drives to visit the other parts. Don't know if there is a park at Parndana but, being in the centre of KI, it makes a very nice location from which to explore the island also it has good facilities and a nice country pub ... Meals are well priced.

Jerry
AnswerID: 517060

Reply By: setsujoku - Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 17:41

Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 17:41
We have stayed at a couple in January and not had any problems with space. We were there over the Australia day long weekend last year, and there was plenty of space no matter where we went.
We stayed at the Kingscote park, and had no issues there. The place is clean, wasn't priced too badly, and there is plenty of space.
Stokes bay is just a council park, who had a guy collecting the money whilst we were there. He was staying there in his bus, so collected the fees, and kept the place tidy. It can get windy here, so finding some trees to shelter behind for the night is a good idea if you know that the wind is going to be up. A nice quiet place to stay though with enough space. There are toilets there as well.
West Bay we only shared with some back packers who arrived just after sun set. No Facilities there, and it is a bumpy trip out there, but well worth it, especially for sun set. The spaces are set out, but still provide plenty of space between camps, and inside the camp itself. The fees here are paid at the same time as the parks pass.
D'Estrees Bay has individual camps that are well spaced between sites, and there is a heap of room in each one. You are literally camping on the beach here. We did not see one other car the time we were here. So we had the choice of site for the night, and never had to worry about noise or space. No facilities, and you pay the fee at the same time as the parks pass. From memory this is only a few $.
The American River camp area is really first come first served, so you probably need to arrive a little bit earlier if you want a decent space or a space at all. When we were there it was busy, but not full. There are toilet and shower facilities here as well, and the general store is only just up the road.

So for us, we didn't have an issue with space, or other people generally, so if you book where you can, and rely on luck for others, we found it to be fine.
AnswerID: 517075

Reply By: Member - Terra'Mer - Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 21:07

Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 21:07
I used to live directly across the road from the Brownlow caravan park entrance and it was mostly quite and shady and friendly, considerate owners. When I lived there it was clean and well equipped and right next to the beach. That was a while ago so someone might correct me if it has changed a bit.
Have you seen my marbles?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 517090

Follow Up By: TTTSA - Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 14:59

Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 14:59
We have stayed at the Brownlow park, no probs when we were there.
FollowupID: 796979

Reply By: Tourism Kangaroo Island - Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 11:29

Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 11:29
Hello SDG,

Please visit the following link to the official tourism website for Kangaroo Island: www.tourkangarooisland.com.au. If you click on Accommodation and then Camping Information you can view all the Council Campgrounds, Private Campgrounds, Conservation & National Park Campground as well as the Caravan Parks. This will show you all their facilities plus pricing.

Please note as you stated 'free council grounds' is incorrect, they do have a fee.

If there's anything else we can assist you with, please feel free to give us a call on (08) 8553 1185 or email tourki@kin.net.au :)

Kind Regards,

Kelly Smith
Kangaroo Island Gateway Visitor Information Centre
AnswerID: 517324

Sponsored Links