So how concerned are we with fuel prices??

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 29, 2013 at 19:12
ThreadID: 104099 Views:3185 Replies:14 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
There are about four major servos around our area with in about 5kms from each other, the prices between all vary from 2c -5c per ltr one in particular seems to have the latter more consistently but to me does not seem to attract any more customers than the rest, actually the BP down the road which never seems to be price competitive with the others is becoming a nightmare to enter and exit due to the amount of traffic it attracts... thinking convenience is still a priority over price at the moment around here.

Cheers Axle
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Aug 29, 2013 at 19:30

Thursday, Aug 29, 2013 at 19:30
G'day Axle,

What I have noticed in Brisvegas of late is that the fuel cycle variation has moved from 10cents to 20 cents difference between the low and high price. The absolute price of a $1.57 which seems to be the new high is pretty spooky when your travelling in a vehicle getting 3 K/Ltr but fortunately I have a little shopping run around that is extremely frugal. The Patrol is really for travelling and that is a whole different equation and my frame of mind is usually better.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 517269

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Thursday, Aug 29, 2013 at 19:49

Thursday, Aug 29, 2013 at 19:49
Axle! I keep telling myself that its the first $1.50 per litre is the expensive bit, The few cents per litre over that is a few bucks per tank... Let the moths out of you wallet and enjoy you next trip :)) Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 517270

Follow Up By: Axle - Thursday, Aug 29, 2013 at 20:00

Thursday, Aug 29, 2013 at 20:00
Mike you right!......But the way i'm going my next trip will be enjoyed on a used postie bike with all the camping gear tied on with a ockey strap,missus included!....LOL.

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 796914

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Thursday, Aug 29, 2013 at 21:05

Thursday, Aug 29, 2013 at 21:05
That clanging of pots and pans on the back mudguard is gonna drive you crazy! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 796918

Reply By: Member - Wamuranman - Thursday, Aug 29, 2013 at 20:44

Thursday, Aug 29, 2013 at 20:44
It may not only be convenience that attracts people to the BP Axle, but the higher cetane rating of their diesel fuel. In my wife's European car we always try to fill up with BP as this is the advice given to us by the service personnel as it never seemed to start easily or run properly on some other brands of diesel.

Cheers

AnswerID: 517273

Follow Up By: Axle - Thursday, Aug 29, 2013 at 20:54

Thursday, Aug 29, 2013 at 20:54
Fair enough,...have heard the cetane rating of diesel can make a difference to some engines, Nil applicable to the old landy me thinks!..lol.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 796916

Reply By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Thursday, Aug 29, 2013 at 21:37

Thursday, Aug 29, 2013 at 21:37
Depends on what you mean by "concerned." a few cents between servos, not concerned at all. Concerned about where the prices are going? Very concerned. Much as I like my 4X4 and much as I like the places and lifestyle it gives me, there are limits. Fuel is taking up an increasing proportion of my living costs and , I would imagine, everyone else's as well.
My strategy. Keep my 60 series which no longer loses $ due to depreciation. Use it very sparingly but turn to it for the serious off road trips. Just bought a Subaru diesel Outback that we will use as much as possible for everything else. Better than 5.0 litres per 100km on country running. How effective this will be in the long run will depend on how reliable the Suby proves to be. Part of my thinking is that fuel prices are going to continue to rise steeply so that in a couple of years, maybe less, anything using more than about 7 L per 100 is going to be very pricey to run.
AnswerID: 517280

Follow Up By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 09:57

Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 09:57
I agree with your strategy..fuel prices are what they are & your fuel costs
are directly related to your mileage. I run an old petrol Jack for holiday purposes only..tows the van..does the 4wd stuff gives 15/20 L per 100 km. Negligible depreciation & low maintenance.
For everything else a diesel 307 Peugeot gives me 1000 Km for 50L..
Paid $14k for a car with 40k on it..someone else paid another $20k for it new.
My motoring costs are controlled by buying low k used cars that are of
proven reliability, service them well, & drive them into oblivion.
It doesn't suit everyone, but I'm unaware of a cheaper way to
control the cost of owning motor vehicles...I have practised this theory for 50 years & never had a serious breakdown, & , no, I
don't belong to a roadside assist program.
Just Lucky ?? Probably, but you make your own luck, I reckon..:))).
cheers....oldbaz.
FollowupID: 796950

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 10:16

Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 10:16
Hello Oldbaz. Exactly so. And the other saving I forgot to mention, the LC 60 series doesn't need full comprehensive insurance.
Sooner or later fuel costs are probably going to kill our 4wd hobby. With this approach I hope to be able to continue going bush for many years yet.
FollowupID: 796952

Reply By: philw - Thursday, Aug 29, 2013 at 21:55

Thursday, Aug 29, 2013 at 21:55
I have a Canadian friend over here at present,who can't believe fuel prices increasing by 20 cents overnight. He tells me that back in his home country, a 2 cent increase would create rioting in the streets. Australians have sadly become a race of Sheeple,that have meekly accepted being walked all over. Sad,but true.
AnswerID: 517281

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Thursday, Aug 29, 2013 at 22:36

Thursday, Aug 29, 2013 at 22:36
I don't know how much prices might alter overnight, but using this search on fuel prices in Canada, they would seem to have much the same spread as us.
http://gasbuddy.com/Gas_Prices/Alberta/index.aspx

FollowupID: 796931

Follow Up By: The Landy - Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 06:19

Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 06:19
Of course the other thing worth noting is they may be paying the full price each and every day, at least we are getting discounting and one of the reasons prices can move by a larger amount is when the discount is either added or removed.

Take New Zealand, they will argue the same thing as Canada, very stable prices, and it is because they pay full price each and every day, no discounting...

Is this your preference?
FollowupID: 796937

Reply By: WayneD - Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 01:36

Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 01:36
Over here in Virginia we are paying about US$1-00 per litre and still the locals complain about the cost. Across the river in DC they have had the number of speed cameras reduced because it was costing drivers too much. Driving on the freeways 10mph over speed limit is ok and 20 mph seems to be the standard in some parts.
Cant wait to get back and pay $1.50+ per ltr and have speed traps around every corner.

Got pulled up for roadside breath test in NT back in 2010, 250 k from the nearest town. 12 months of driving over here and have not seen an RBT. And yes driving while on the phone is legal in most states and indicators, well we dont use those. Makes driving difficult, drinking coffee, phoning a friend and loading your gun all at 20mph above the speed limit. Saw a young girl driving on the freeway a couple of weeks ago, doing 80mph with one leg resting on the dashboard. Ahh America, home of the free!!!
AnswerID: 517291

Follow Up By: Lyn W3 - Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 06:34

Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 06:34
Yep, and I remember in Arizona when they put speed cameras in (an Australian Co got the contract) and they set the threshold 10mph (about 16kph) above the speed limit, everyone refused to pay and the cameras were removed after 6 months.
FollowupID: 796938

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 06:21

Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 06:21
It never ceases to amuse me that people complain about the price of Petrol/Diesel.

Companies spend billions finding the stuff at very high risk, billions to extract it, billions in royalties, millions shipping it half way across the world, then billions for a refinery, billions in Australian taxes, transport to purpose built service stations all under strict OH&S rules. Then it sells for $1.50 per litre.

Bottled water on the other hand comes from a tap in Moorabin Victoria ( Pump and Mt Franklin anyway), that Coca Cola pay 4 cents per megalitre for, compared to us paying about $700 per megalitre, then it's filtered and bottled then sold for $3.50 per litre and no one bitches.

Petrol looks extremely cheap when you look at it that way.
AnswerID: 517293

Follow Up By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 08:17

Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 08:17
Couldn't agree more!!!

Bottled water has to be the greatest con ever pulled on Australia where town water supplies are treated and tested to ensure quality.

Alan
FollowupID: 796944

Reply By: Greenant - Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 08:56

Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 08:56
I want someone to invent a motor that runs on MILK as milk is cheaper than diesel/petrol and bottled water

Greenant
AnswerID: 517302

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 11:06

Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 11:06
Not in this household mate. We only use the A2 one at $5 a two litre container for full cream milk. Our choice.

But I see where you are coming from.

Phil
FollowupID: 796956

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 11:11

Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 11:11
Personally we do not chase the cheaper fuel. But if we have a choice we wait. Carrying 215 litres gives us a lot of leeway. In the bush we get it wherever we need to and mostly not on a price basis. And just close the eyes to the amount and let my wife pay.

Last week I had to pay $1.61 a litre for diesel.

If you want to go, then you gotta pay. And sometimes going just that little further, and maybe out of your way as well, to get the cheaper fuel may not be so economical. Especially if, like us, you use 13 litres per 100 Km. So we just fill up at the local place that we have been going to for decades. It is nice and friendly and very convenient to boot.

Phil
AnswerID: 517322

Reply By: Sandman - Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 16:18

Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 16:18
its $1.78 in Alice Springs.....when it hits $4.00 per liter then I'll take notice
AnswerID: 517342

Reply By: Rockape - Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 16:48

Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 16:48
Axle,
a person I worked with always carried a 44 on the back of his ute.

He would drive to work with the 44 full and it would sit there for a fortnight on the ute, none of the bosses were concerned as they would sometimes tap it when he arrived to find all ok.

I never ever saw his ute without that 44 on the back so everyone was very accustomed to it. At some stage during the fortnight he would roll the 44 full of water off and then hoist an empty 44 onto the ute and fill it with diesel. He did this for years but eventually got caught at another mine, all because he got slack and never filled the drum with water.

Now that is right price for fuel.
AnswerID: 517344

Follow Up By: Ron N - Saturday, Aug 31, 2013 at 11:09

Saturday, Aug 31, 2013 at 11:09
Rockape, a truckie I know who ran a roadtrain and had a contract with a mining contractor, used to fill his KW with the contractors fuel at midnight when he arrived at the contractors sites.
It worked good for a while - until someone added up the figures and he got caught!
Then he promptly had no lucrative trucking contract, and a reputation as a thief as well!
FollowupID: 797029

Reply By: Gramps - Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 17:41

Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 17:41
G'day Axle,

Slow news day :)
AnswerID: 517350

Reply By: Member - Laurie K (WA) - Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 23:56

Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 23:56
We’ve been on the road 10 weeks now, and it’s interesting to sit down and have a look at how we are travelling. We budgeted on spending $300 per week on fuel, working at an average of $2 per litre, and assuming that we averaged 4 km/l with the van. That would mean that by now, we should have spent $3000, and covered 6000 kms.
In fact, the dearest fuel we have bought has been $1.99 (once), and the av price has been $1.748, we have averaged 5.274 km/litre, have travelled 8577 kms, and spent $2842 on fuel. So to that end, we are $158 in front.
We have freecamped 31 nights, Caravan Parked 40 nights and paid $1292. Our freecamping has cost us $159 in unleaded for the generator.
What all this means is that our travelling costs have been $4295, or an average of $429 per week. Food of course is on top of that, and repairs and servicing have cost a further $1001, or $100 per week.
Our Caravan Park attendance has been due mainly to the desire to leave the van in a safe environment, whilst sight seeing without the constraints that towing causes. To stay in budget after the second week (where we spent $600 on fuel trying to outrun rain), we actually spent the odd couple of days each week camped up just vegeing. With us now moving into more remote areas, I would anticipate that our camping costs will diminish greatly. It will interesting to see where we are at in another few weeks time.
NOTE: it is now 11 weeks, and we have travelled from Perth to Kununurra to Darwin to Mount Isa, and we have paid $2.06 at Barkley Homestead and $2.20 at Cape Crawford….. all the rest under $2.
AnswerID: 517381

Reply By: moamajohn - Saturday, Aug 31, 2013 at 07:15

Saturday, Aug 31, 2013 at 07:15
My mate and his wife have just come back from one of those boat trips down to Budapest etc. 30 days = $ 30k.Now thats $1k a day ! Not for this black duck! give me OZ and a bit of dear fuel any day.The thing is its getting too dear to stay home in the winter cause the lights and the gas heater are on all the time so the power bills are sky high! . I said to the wife that perhaps I should shower only every second Saturday to save water,,she said no to that! jeeze women are funny like that.Cheers
AnswerID: 517387

Follow Up By: Ron N - Saturday, Aug 31, 2013 at 11:41

Saturday, Aug 31, 2013 at 11:41
John, we've just come back from an overseas jaunt that we mostly organised ourselves. 2 weeks in Bali, 3 days in Istanbul and 4 weeks touring around the Greek Islands (Mykonos, Santorini, Crete, Kos, Samos and then Athens).
We spent over $15,000 in the 6 and a half weeks we were away. Around $330 a day, that covered everything - airlines, tours, ferries, 2 weeks car hire, petrol, accommodation, and all food.

It's certainly interesting seeing how the other half live. I can tell you this much - most Australians don't know how good we've got it - and I came home with a greater appreciation of our fine CLEAN beaches, our UNCROWDED country - and our CHEAP fuel!

Petrol in Greece is $2.70-$3.00 a litre - and yes, they usually have less distance to drive. However, Crete is 247 kms long and a drivers and 4WD'ers delight. You just have to watch out for those mad Cretan farmers!
They love their Jap 4WD utes (Hiluxes, Nissans and Mitsubishi's) and they put huge offset wheels on them so they stick outside the bodywork about 100mm - and then they drive like Finnish rally drivers!

After experiencing Greek roads and Greek drivers, I will never complain about idiot Aussie drivers again!
In Greece, you never drive in your allotted lane - you drive half in the emergency lane at all times.
Why? Because you'll come to a sharp curve with a permanent double white line, and as you enter the blind curve, you'll meet a tourist coach doing 90kmh - a bloke in a car doing 110kmh, overtaking the coach - and a Greek taxi overtaking the bloke doing the overtaking!!

The overtakers will be on your side of the road of course, ignoring the double white lines! Double white lines mean nothing to Greeks!
We were climbing a mountain pass once and came across a bloke whizzing down the length of the mountain, in the uphill passing lane, over the continuous double white line!!

I got my "return" on the amount I've paid for fuel over the years, by flying cut-price on Qatar Airways!
It must be great having 500 billion Petro dollars, so you can buy and fly a fleet of new aircraft around the world, that are never full!
We flew Cairo to Doha 1st class and Doha to Perth business class, for a cut-price $2000! There were NINE people on the entire Airbus from Cairo to Doha - and even from Doha to Perth, the Boeing 777 was barely 2/3rds full. In business class, there were 40 available seats, but only 7 passengers!
I can tell you this much, flying business class on Qatar beats a swag in the bush in Winter, any day! LOL
FollowupID: 797033

Sponsored Links