Space Cab ute canopy ideas.

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 31, 2013 at 23:09
ThreadID: 104134 Views:17202 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, I will be building a steel framed canopy 1950mm by 1795mm shortly for D-Max Space cab to be a slide on unit, and have a few ideas on our storage needs and feature requirements but it doesn't hurt to check out other peoples innovations with builds, so how about it? Show us your Canopys!!! Cheers, Kanga
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Minty (SA) - Sunday, Sep 01, 2013 at 17:37

Sunday, Sep 01, 2013 at 17:37
Hi Kanga

Here is my version. It is a slide on alloy canopy. Empty weighs 88Kg. Loaded, up to 400Kg.

Cheers
Brad
AnswerID: 517473

Follow Up By: Kanga1 - Monday, Sep 02, 2013 at 08:02

Monday, Sep 02, 2013 at 08:02
Hi there Minty, that looks terrific, I may have to change from Steel to Aluminium, that weight is incredible (88kgs!!!) It will solve some suspension issues too, the difference in weight between holiday mode and plain old Ute mode is considerable. What thickness of sheet aluminium and what section sizes were used to hold it all together?
What you have there is exactly what I have in mind for the canopy save for some internal partitioning. Thanks very much for putting those pictures up. All the best, Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

FollowupID: 797178

Reply By: Mick O - Sunday, Sep 01, 2013 at 18:24

Sunday, Sep 01, 2013 at 18:24
Kanga,

you may gleen a few ideas from the ever changing "Tardis" on the back of my ute. Minister for War and Finance has approved Stage 3 of the build....the ensuite! ;-)

Ute Build

Cheers Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 517476

Follow Up By: Kanga1 - Monday, Sep 02, 2013 at 08:10

Monday, Sep 02, 2013 at 08:10
G'day Mick, if only you knew how many hours we have spent looking at your Blogs on the Ute build this weekend!!!!! I reckon half the hits those pages have had are mine! Hopefully you will of course keep us up to speed with the "Stage 3 expansion" . Can't wait to see some more of the latest trip Blogs too, your fingers'll need to join a Gym to get ready for the coming weeks of constant tapping!
Thanks for putting the pictures up though Mick, best regards, Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

FollowupID: 797180

Follow Up By: The Landy - Monday, Sep 02, 2013 at 08:57

Monday, Sep 02, 2013 at 08:57
Crikey, I'm just wondering what Stage 3 might be!

We will be picking up our Our 79 Series Dual Cab this week, and having the canopy made over the month ahead...

Feel I'm older and wiser since doing "The Landy" so have some thoughts around what worked and didn't work so well...

Come to think of it though, maybe I'm just older!

Good luck...
FollowupID: 797181

Reply By: The Landy - Monday, Sep 02, 2013 at 08:33

Monday, Sep 02, 2013 at 08:33
This is what we did to “The Landy” when we rebuilt it in 2006...

We are currently in the process of having a new canopy made for a Toyota 79 Series Dual Cab, and it will be similar to “The Landy”, and built by Dave Vella, at Dave’s Metal Products, Sydney.

Not the cheapest, but extremely good quality build...

Good luck!

AnswerID: 517503

Follow Up By: Kanga1 - Monday, Sep 02, 2013 at 12:33

Monday, Sep 02, 2013 at 12:33
That's a nice job there, how does it go for dust sealing and any idea what it weighed empty? It will be nice to see what you come up with for the new unit, I have a bit of an idea that you will be haemoraghaging $$$ very soon like us prepping up the new vehicle, it seems that the purchase place is "just the start" of the Bank account pillage. Good luck with the sale of the "Landy" Baz. Just curious but what are you going to call yourself when the Landy is sold? All the best, Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

FollowupID: 797202

Follow Up By: The Landy - Monday, Sep 02, 2013 at 14:01

Monday, Sep 02, 2013 at 14:01
This unit seals perfectly, no dust, water ingress whatsoever, and the welding is exceptional. Not the cheapest, but then I never wanted it to fall apart and is the reason I will have Dave build the new one.

This unit probably weights in around 200kg, round numbers all up.

And yes, “The Landy” - it is a bit like changing the name on a boat, sounds like bad luck to do so...I’m thinking it will still be “The Landy”.

Geez, not sure what the Landy and Cruiser die-hards will say though...

In terms of the cost; you just work out what you want to do, close your eyes and hope that Mrs Landy signs the cheques!

Ultimately we decided to upgrade the vehicle now and the 79 Series will suit us perfectly, hopefully “The Landy” sells and finds a good home, otherwise we’ll keep it...
FollowupID: 797207

Reply By: Member - Minty (SA) - Monday, Sep 02, 2013 at 18:39

Monday, Sep 02, 2013 at 18:39
Hi Kanga

I bought the canopy from the folk:
http://www.toolboxcentre.com.au/index.php

I think it is made of 2.5 propeller plate.
The roof can take 100Kgs not that I have tested this...ahhh...second thoughts I have...I climbed and stood up there and I'd be about 100kgs.
The legs, which I haven't used yet cost about $900.

I do like Mick's drawer and stainless steel slide out table setup. Mine is all a bit rudimentary...OK let's be honest...cheap.

Cheers
Brad
AnswerID: 517545

Follow Up By: Kanga1 - Monday, Sep 02, 2013 at 19:37

Monday, Sep 02, 2013 at 19:37
Thanks for the heads up, I will check out the web page, has it proved to be dust/water proof? The actual box you have there looks pretty good, partitioning and shelving inside can be strong enough to hold itself and contents, thanks again for your help, Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

FollowupID: 797228

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Sep 05, 2013 at 16:24

Thursday, Sep 05, 2013 at 16:24
Kanga,

We bought an aluminium canopy back in March, set up as we wanted it, except for solar panels, and maybe some extra storage boxes. You can see a couple of photos, in My Profile page, taken on the day of delivery, in Hervey Bay.

Bob Mitchell, who built the canopy, said it is about 400kg, but haven't put it on a weighbridge yet. The new springs I've fitted recently hardly sag at all, so not sure about the weight?

We've only been camping for a couple of nights, but set-up is very quick. Slowest chore would be hooking up the gas cylinder. Am about to fit 220 watts of solar panels, and a Redarc BMS system for the AGM batteries already onboard. There is a pod at the front, over the cab, that is handy for things like shade cloth, tarps etc, and it also acts as an aerofoil. Still get good fuel economy, at 90-95 clicks.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 517683

Sponsored Links