Trip Preparation Advice

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 04, 2013 at 19:29
ThreadID: 104186 Views:1986 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi folks,

I would like to call on your collective knowledge for some advice on preparing for a trip from Perth to Victoria in January 2014. The trip could go one of two ways as I may have a friend travelling with me in which case we will likely go the long way via Esperance/Cape Arid. We will do some 4WD'ing and camping along the way and pop out around Balladonia. If I am alone I will just take the tarmac the whole way via Norseman.

I know there is plenty of info out there on trip preparation and I know all about the basics things like First Aid, UHF radio, water etc so what I am after is any little gems of advice that can only be given by experienced travellers who have some secrets they are willing to part with to make the journey more comfortable and/or safer. I will be driving an '03 1HZ Landcruiser.

Thanks in advance :)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Leigh (Vic) - Wednesday, Sep 04, 2013 at 20:10

Wednesday, Sep 04, 2013 at 20:10
Putting your cutlery in a kids pencil case was the best gem I ever picked up!! Cheers
AnswerID: 517642

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser74 - Wednesday, Sep 04, 2013 at 20:14

Wednesday, Sep 04, 2013 at 20:14
Thanks mate, little tips like that I am after. Cheers!
FollowupID: 797352

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Wednesday, Sep 04, 2013 at 20:21

Wednesday, Sep 04, 2013 at 20:21
Hey C74, don't be a tar hugger. Your rig will easily cope with Cape Arid as you are not towing a trailer like we did in April. And if you purchase Ron Moons book " Across the Bight and Nullarbor" you will find out why it was named Israelite Bay. LOL. I have crossed the Nullarbor twice using the book which is very handy re side trips, camp sites etc etc. It's only about $25... Cheers, Warrie
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 517643

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser74 - Wednesday, Sep 04, 2013 at 20:46

Wednesday, Sep 04, 2013 at 20:46
Thanks Warrie. Great tip about the book I will definitely check it out. I have done the trip up to and including Israelite Bay before but was with friends and a couple of other vehicles. It was extremely remote and would be fun doing it alone but would need another level of preparation and gear that I'm not sure I will acquire in time for the trip. Certainly not off the cards altogether though. Cheers!
FollowupID: 797358

Follow Up By: Phil B (WA) - Thursday, Sep 05, 2013 at 01:57

Thursday, Sep 05, 2013 at 01:57
Hey C74,

Dont forget to check out the various Nullabor related Trek Notes on EO as well.

cheers
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 797372

Reply By: Robyn R4 - Wednesday, Sep 04, 2013 at 21:10

Wednesday, Sep 04, 2013 at 21:10
Each evening, before it gets dark, make a habit to put everything you need during the night in its set spot (wherever that is!). It's amazing how damn dark it can be outback with a torch held in your mouth, searching for something...or how the dark spots can hide things away from the car's internal light...but if the things are all in the "right spot" sanity prevails!
In our case, it was knowing where the bug spray was (did it get moved during the day?), where the toilet bags were for teeth cleaning (did something get put on them while I was looking for the umbrella earlier on?), can I put my hand on my jumper when it gets cooler, etc. It certainly saves on torch batteries when you can simply open the door and put your hand on the thing you need instead of scratching around and burying other things!
:)

AnswerID: 517649

Follow Up By: Member - johnat - Friday, Sep 06, 2013 at 20:26

Friday, Sep 06, 2013 at 20:26
A head torch that is JUST a torch (not a 3 levels and flashing, as most are) is an absolute bonus in this case. Have that nearby and you then have 2 hands to look for stuff with, no need to hold a torch in your mouth (YUK!!).

BTW, have found that most head torches nowadays are the "do everything but cook coffee for you" style. An opening for EO to source a decent head torch that has on/off and no other functions.
FollowupID: 797476

Sponsored Links