Tutorial for using Treks with Hema Navigator?

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 10, 2013 at 01:13
ThreadID: 104260 Views:3181 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Please excuse my noob question... but I really am a noob!

I am trying hard to figure it out but not finding the instructions I need.

Is there a step-by-step somewhere on ExplorOz for loading treks downloaded from ExplorOz into a Hema Navigator HN6?

I managed to make the HN6 connect to the computer using windows mobile device centre and a lot of swear words ;)

I have downloaded an ExplorOz trek in both oziexplorer format and Hema navigator format - saved zip files to folder on computer, unzipped into same folder.

Now I'm not sure what I am supposed to do next.
I tried to open a trek in the navigator's software but it seems to want .map files only where I seem to have .wpt and .plt files.

I took a look at Hema's knowledge base system and thought maybe there was an easier way - like "here's an ExplorOz tutorial we prepared earlier" ? :-)

Regards
LG
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Sep 10, 2013 at 07:41

Tuesday, Sep 10, 2013 at 07:41
After connecting the Navigator to your PC, you can use Windows Explorer to transfer the downloaded files to the Data Directory on the Navigator, then load them via the Load function in OziExplorer. (eg. Load Track, Load Waypoints)

There is a Help File available on the OziExplorer Web site which you can view online, of download as a .pdf file.
From the main page of OziExplorer on your PC

OziExplorer Web Site

On the left column, under Products, click on OziExplorer.
Scroll down until you see the Help heading and either click on OziExplorer Help File Online, or download Help in pdf format.

If you have OziExplorer installed on your PC, you can also access the Help data directly by clicking on the Help heading at the top of the page. (right most heading)

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 517901

Follow Up By: Member - LG__ (WA) - Tuesday, Sep 10, 2013 at 11:06

Tuesday, Sep 10, 2013 at 11:06
Thanks Bill
I was so busy thinking 'ExplorOz & Hema' that I forgot the Oziexplorer component (blames lack of caffiene) :)

I will take another look at Ozi's destructions to help understand it all
FollowupID: 797669

Reply By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Sep 10, 2013 at 10:35

Tuesday, Sep 10, 2013 at 10:35
Hello

Treks downloads contain a track file (gps log recorded by someone while traveling the trek) and associated waypoints recorded at specific points along the way (points of interest). As you know, the data can be downloaded in a number of formats - "Hema Navigator" format is actually not a "format" at all but exactly the same as OziExplorer format - so it doesn't matter which one you choose to download. You will end up with a track file (*.plt) and a waypoint file (*.wpt).

To display this data (once copied to the Ozi data folder on the HN6) you therefore need to use the "load track file" function and the "load waypoints" function. I do not have a Hema 6 handy so cant detail the exact buttons you need to press but shouldn't be too hard to track down. ( By the way *.map files are the calibration data associated with maps you have loaded on your unit and are required when you use the "load map" function.)

Keep in mind that once you load a track file it will be added to when you get a GPS fix ...typically for treks you just want the track data to be in the background so once the track is loaded open the track toolbar and move the track from position 1 to a lower position (2, 3, 4 or 5) - it will just be static in the background then. Again - don't know the exact buttons to press but thought Id mention it so you can look into it.

There are some tutorials here and here but not sure if any address your specific query.

Have fun

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 517916

Follow Up By: Member - LG__ (WA) - Tuesday, Sep 10, 2013 at 11:09

Tuesday, Sep 10, 2013 at 11:09
Thanks Greg

"load track file" function and the "load waypoints" function

I did see those options while browsing the software but didn't make the connection with the .plt & .wpt files I had downloaded. My mind was firmly set on 'load a map' :D

So tonights agenda is set then between you and Bill giving me lots of reading to do prior to another attempt :)
FollowupID: 797671

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Sep 10, 2013 at 11:14

Tuesday, Sep 10, 2013 at 11:14
No worries ....yes the trek data will just load onto whatever map you have on the HN6 (or OziExplorer on PC) for that area (e.g. 250K Topo).

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 797672

Reply By: craigandej - Tuesday, Sep 10, 2013 at 21:12

Tuesday, Sep 10, 2013 at 21:12
Crickey I must be getting on....think i'll just go for a drive and see where I end up.
AnswerID: 517943

Sponsored Links