Brake swap on 80 series.

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 19:18
ThreadID: 10428 Views:1898 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone know what is needed to swap the disc brakes on an early 80 series with brakes from newer one with the 16 inch wheels? Do you have to do all 4? Is it possible to just change them straight over? Are there problems with 80/100 series seeing as they have abs and mine doesn't?

I would like to do the job fairly soon because I have moved to 16 inch rims and the stopping power has decreased slightly. What price would you expect to pay for a good set of rotors and calipers from a wrecker and can anyone suggest who to talk to in Brisbane?

Charlie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Wayne - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 20:40

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 20:40
Big job Charlie, I would think you would have to change everything from the backing plate out. Rotars, calipers and backing plate. In Sydney one backing plate hub and rotar $250. No caliper in that price. Might try a diffrent brand of pads, a lot cheaper. If you do go ahead with the job I would be interested in the outcome

Wayne
AnswerID: 46209

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 16:34

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 16:34
Gday
You only need to change the front backing plate, disc with its hub plus the callipers, as all else is thesame. The callipers have longer legs and discs are bigger diameter/ thicker.
Master cylinders are thesame on all non ABS 80 cruisers.
Rear brakes need to be changed from the 4 bolts holding the backing plate on to the axle, ie backing plate with handbrake, disc, calliper.
Email me on limo4b@yahoo.com.au after ringing around, as i have a pair of diffs with big brakes that i bought to fit diff locks to mine.
Andrewwheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 46356

Sponsored Links