Bug Screen Warning

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 12, 2013 at 17:00
ThreadID: 104295 Views:3865 Replies:12 FollowUps:21
This Thread has been Archived
Got booked yesterday morning at Scone Candy car could not read my number plate through the Bug mesh, $101.00. but told me how I might be able to get it wavered by contacting the fine dept. via their web sight as I had a clean record for the last 30 years.
PeterH
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: allein m - Thursday, Sep 12, 2013 at 17:05

Thursday, Sep 12, 2013 at 17:05
The BrokenHill police have said that a number of times in our local newspaper that cars with bug mesh covering the number plate will be booked

ouch expensive
AnswerID: 518006

Reply By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Sep 12, 2013 at 18:21

Thursday, Sep 12, 2013 at 18:21
Now that all states are moving to number plate identification technology in police vehicles, number plates are becoming increasingly significant in real-time policing. The number plate is the on-road "proof" of current rego. Stickers are out.

Instead of pulling you over and asking a few questions then going off to do some radio work to get your rego status, it's all done with smart in-vehicle cameras looking at your plate and a computer link to provide the result. Mr Plod doesn't like it if you break his system, so if you cover your plates you pay.

Actually, obscured or unreadable plates was always an offence, but not really stomped upon until the recent advent of mobile plate-reading technology.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 518012

Follow Up By: Member - Scrubby (VIC) - Thursday, Sep 12, 2013 at 18:35

Thursday, Sep 12, 2013 at 18:35
G`day Frank,
Do you know if vertically mounted number plates, as on some boat trailers, are legal or not ?
The new technology may only read horizontally mounted plates, just wondering...

Scrubby.
FollowupID: 797760

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Sep 12, 2013 at 20:02

Thursday, Sep 12, 2013 at 20:02
Hi Scrubby,

That's an interesting twist on the topic. No, I don't know the answer to that one - sorry.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 797767

Follow Up By: Kurd - Thursday, Sep 12, 2013 at 20:57

Thursday, Sep 12, 2013 at 20:57
This week’s Four Corners about digital technology had a segment in which they were driving in a NSW police car fitted with the registration plate reader and it was clear that the technology reads all the plates around it at a phenomenal rate. The police driver mentioned that during training/testing a rego plate fell off something to the ground but the reader was able to read it as it fell. So I suspect that if it can get a clear view of the plate for just a split second it will read it regardless of which way the plate is turned. The police get a lot of instant information about the car and driver on the screen.

You'll find the Four Corners program on iView; look for the one called “In Google We Trust.”
FollowupID: 797770

Follow Up By: Albany Nomads - Thursday, Sep 12, 2013 at 21:34

Thursday, Sep 12, 2013 at 21:34
I can only speak from WA..but YES it is illegal to have your plate on its side..the company I used to work for had there's bolted to the Mud guard on its side and got fined for just that reason.
As for bug screens..I have a bug screen on my Rodeo..I know its illegal to block the line of sight and clarity of your plate as such the reason when I put my bug screen on I took the plate off first, fitted screen and then refasten plate..very simple
FollowupID: 797772

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 19:15

Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 19:15
The australian design rules and the state regs that agree state that the number plate must be horisontal.

It also specifies where and how high it must be displayed on the vehicle.

Some trailers you need to be fairly inventive to achieve a compliant display of a number plate

There are plenty of vehicles out there that plainly do not comply.

MR plod could very easily make a few bucks by having a blitz on that one.

Some lifted and modified 4wds could be pinged on the grounds of number plate compliance if on no other grounds.

cheers
FollowupID: 797953

Reply By: SDG - Thursday, Sep 12, 2013 at 19:13

Thursday, Sep 12, 2013 at 19:13
You will also need to be aware of your tow ball. If it is anywhere close to obstructing the plate, even just a little, your done.
A friend got done for this a little over a year ago. The ball itself was centre, so looking at it straight on, all digits could be read. A little to the side, obscured it a little.

Parking inspectors are using cameras as well to see who over stays their parking spot. I asked one the other day how they do bikes as most are reversed in towards the gutter. He said they have to get out and manually look. Also admitted they don't often bother with this.
AnswerID: 518015

Reply By: mikehzz - Thursday, Sep 12, 2013 at 19:21

Thursday, Sep 12, 2013 at 19:21
You can also get done for home made plates on a bike rack. In NSW anyway, they must be either the original plate moved to the rack or an RTA issued bike rack plate.
AnswerID: 518017

Follow Up By: TTTSA - Monday, Sep 23, 2013 at 06:00

Monday, Sep 23, 2013 at 06:00
Number plates must have stamped, raised lettering in case of fire. The plate can still be easily identifiable.
FollowupID: 798517

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Sep 23, 2013 at 16:45

Monday, Sep 23, 2013 at 16:45
Now that IS a good reason. There is hope or me yet.

Excellent.

Phil
FollowupID: 798559

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Sep 12, 2013 at 20:40

Thursday, Sep 12, 2013 at 20:40
I think that this is a problem associated with today's habit of learning the answers in order to pass the exam. Not why the rule exists. I learnt that the number plate should be legible at all time. Now that is so simple to understand.

It therefore follows that for one to cover it with a tow ball, fly or bug screen, pushbike rack (eye picker outers) or anything at all for that matter, shows that there is something missing upstairs. It beats me! Such a simple rule.

As a thread that I enjoyed the other day would put it: "a six pack short of a carton".

Phil

AnswerID: 518024

Follow Up By: Narrabrisparky - Sunday, Sep 22, 2013 at 17:40

Sunday, Sep 22, 2013 at 17:40
All I can say is..... Exactly!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 798499

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Thursday, Sep 12, 2013 at 20:51

Thursday, Sep 12, 2013 at 20:51
I wonder what the difference is between a number plate covered with a bug screen or a number plate covered in bugs. I have had mine covered with bugs to the unreadable stage in the past. Wonder what Mr Plod would have said to me. Bob
AnswerID: 518025

Follow Up By: SDG - Thursday, Sep 12, 2013 at 21:19

Thursday, Sep 12, 2013 at 21:19
people have been booked for to much mud on them.
FollowupID: 797771

Follow Up By: Albany Nomads - Thursday, Sep 12, 2013 at 21:40

Thursday, Sep 12, 2013 at 21:40
Again I can only speak for WA but its illegal to have covers on your front plates this is mainly to do with the poor image for the speed cameras thats achieved..and since the cameras can now photograph your rear plates.... I will imagine there will be a push for removal of rear plate covers and plates that are too far under the rear trays and like others have said hidden by tow balls and bike carriers.
FollowupID: 797773

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Sep 12, 2013 at 21:50

Thursday, Sep 12, 2013 at 21:50
Agree with SDG.

Phil
FollowupID: 797774

Follow Up By: Member - Craig F (WA) - Friday, Sep 13, 2013 at 14:07

Friday, Sep 13, 2013 at 14:07
I always clean my Number Plate and lights whenever they are covered in Bugs or Mud. Got pulled over yrs ago for a RBT the copper made comment that it was showing respect to road users and police and was acknowledged.
Latter found out that a few on the trip got pulled over befor and after and recieved infringments and Roadworthys.
FollowupID: 797797

Follow Up By: Narrabrisparky - Sunday, Sep 22, 2013 at 17:41

Sunday, Sep 22, 2013 at 17:41
If we Australians all got together and got rid of the revenue raising cameras there wouldn't be a problem

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 798501

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Sep 22, 2013 at 19:03

Sunday, Sep 22, 2013 at 19:03
Total rubbish. Ahhhh Here we go. Another one. The only ones who cry about cameras being revenue raising are those who get booked for speeding. To me it's a fine.

If we all obeyed the speed limits then there wouldn't be any need for them. Nothing to do with revenue raising. We are the ones who are fools.

Just clean you number plate when it needs it and if it's unreadable then that's your problem not mine. If you can't do what is needed to be a responsible driver then nick off or suffer the consequences. I never read that law but it's pretty well common sense isn't it.

Rough aren't I. Yes I am. Turn the record over please you poor little darlings. This is the third thread I have read this week with such complainers.

Phil
FollowupID: 798509

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Sep 22, 2013 at 19:07

Sunday, Sep 22, 2013 at 19:07
A bit different from our last exchange Sparky (where you agreed with me).

That's life mate
FollowupID: 798510

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Sunday, Sep 22, 2013 at 22:01

Sunday, Sep 22, 2013 at 22:01
obey-conform
Generally laws are there for a reason.
But just because a law is in place does not automatically make it morally wrong to "not entirely conform".
Example
near my house where you come out onto the main drag north, the road is dual carriageway, no driveways, no sideroads or footpaths and fenced so there is no pedestrians or stock.
There is a 70kph limit for 2 km, then 90 for 2km then 110kph.
For what? I have been here 27 years and never seen an accident there but regularly see a camera there 150 meters before the 90kph sign.

Just a scam pure and simple, I dont care what you say. I dont lie awake at night contemplating the moral dilemma of doing 80 when I hit the 90 sign and 100 when I get to 110 sign.

Nor do I feel any guilt using a local facebook page listing camera locations.
FollowupID: 798516

Reply By: Bazooka - Thursday, Sep 12, 2013 at 22:15

Thursday, Sep 12, 2013 at 22:15
NSW (and Vic?) rules
AnswerID: 518027

Reply By: Batt's - Friday, Sep 13, 2013 at 01:14

Friday, Sep 13, 2013 at 01:14
As far as I was aware flat clear covers are ok & bubbled or coloured lenses are out I don't have any so no worries.
AnswerID: 518029

Reply By: Member - Matt M - Friday, Sep 13, 2013 at 08:54

Friday, Sep 13, 2013 at 08:54
Thanks PeterH,

What I find a bit interesting is that the Police would know your driving record as, presumably, the system gives them access to it. If he/she took the time to tell you about the appeal process, why not (in light of your record) just give you a warning? Now I know that the law is the law, but what you would hope nowadays, with the Police having instant access to all sorts of information on the spot, is that it might (?) give them a little room for some discretion in these matters. If they issue a warning, then surely this is recorded. If you then get pulled over three weeks down the track for the same offence, then you deserve the fine.

Access to this kind of data should work both ways a bit, allowing Police to identify and target high risk cases, non-registration offences, outstanding fines, repeat offenders, etc. But conversely, surely it offers some scope for discretion as well? Bearing in mind that the ultimate outcome is not revenue raising, but to ensure that people are operating vehicles in a safe and legal manner. Fines and points are a deterrent, but sometimes a quiet chat or stern word from the Police meets the same end.

Cheers,

Matt.
AnswerID: 518041

Follow Up By: 213 - Friday, Sep 13, 2013 at 11:30

Friday, Sep 13, 2013 at 11:30
One interesting feature of our democracy/common law legal system is the inherent 'discretion' of a sworn Police Officer.

That discretion is not there (sorry to disillusion many readers here) so that thaey can be 'nice' to us. It's there so that Police don't have to cram the Courts with petty, cases that may well be successfully defended if they get before the Magistrate. In other words, it's there to save the time, money and resources of the State.

I'm not sure what a 'Candy' is but if it's a Police officer - he's a dope!!

George

FollowupID: 797791

Reply By: PeterInSa - Friday, Sep 13, 2013 at 12:12

Friday, Sep 13, 2013 at 12:12
George, Re Candy, I take that Peter meant a brightly coloured police car, here in SA we do not have the brightly coloured Police cars ( Lolliepop) as in NSW. Maybe these brightly coloured vehicles are for main roads policing.

Re [You can also get done for home made plates on a bike rack. In NSW anyway, they must be either the original plate moved to the rack or an RTA issued bike rack plate.]

Have a Homemade plate on our Bike rack same small size as Rego issued plate with Block Numbers an letters, but painted in Flat Black Not Gloss Black, so hope that rule only applies to NSW residents not interstaters.
AnswerID: 518057

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 19:24

Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 19:24
Home made and repainted number plates are illegal in every state and have been for a very long time.

cheers
FollowupID: 797954

Reply By: allein m - Friday, Sep 13, 2013 at 15:23

Friday, Sep 13, 2013 at 15:23
there was a blue healers episode where the Sergeant, Senior Sergeant went on holiday and a relief Sergeant came to town and he booked every one walking around with tape measure lots of parking tickets.

I often wondered if this came from a real life situation of one of the writers lol
AnswerID: 518072

Follow Up By: Rockape - Friday, Sep 13, 2013 at 16:12

Friday, Sep 13, 2013 at 16:12
allein,
yes it has happened, a few years back the local Mt Surprise copper was like that and the locals hated him. That made it very difficult for both himself and his family.

When the locals respect a rural town cop, they will get his back when there is trouble. It is a very nice thing to see.
FollowupID: 797804

Follow Up By: allein m - Friday, Sep 13, 2013 at 17:29

Friday, Sep 13, 2013 at 17:29
yes there is a huge difference in policing a small country town compared to a large city of course there is a limit to what the local cop will put up with it is a matter of basic common sense

we occasionally get a traffic blitz here in Broken hill from Sydney or dubbo based traffic police and then is on for young and old every one gets pulled up and get booked for little things

I got stopped 3 time coming home from town in one of the blitzes a matter of less than a one kilometer it was funny

often they bring in a large number of new police officers and just go crazy RBTs all over the place and considering it is a small town 15 minutes from one end of town to the other it can get clouded

but I think what we forget some time they are all just doing the job they are paid for sadly some become a over siliceous and use the full letter of the law others er on the side of caution
FollowupID: 797815

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Saturday, Sep 14, 2013 at 11:30

Saturday, Sep 14, 2013 at 11:30
Gday,
So why didn't he just give you a warning and waver the fine himself???
AnswerID: 518119

Follow Up By: Member - Peter H1 (NSW) - Saturday, Sep 14, 2013 at 14:57

Saturday, Sep 14, 2013 at 14:57
Don't know!
I've cut a hole in the mesh anyway.
A "Candy Car" is a name comonly used by truckies in NSW.
Channel 40 inland.
Channel 29 along the coast.
FollowupID: 797878

Sponsored Links