Floodwater

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 20:32
ThreadID: 10433 Views:1732 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hey everyone, water is now 7.4 metres and should be down to Clifton Hillsin next day or so. Sandflies have arrived and very hot here. We figure about another 10 days and we should be able to get over the bridge - not much further than that.
Sorry unable to talk yesterday but the company I bought my superannuation from in Queensland sent me the virus Mydoom. No, don't anybody panic - it's contained. Just thought you'd like to know that the company who sent it wasn't interested in speaking to me about this matter though. Like the two dozen eggs - too bad!
Did you see the Channel 9 footage - on the news last night and on the Today show this morning? (No, I didn't see it either).
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 20:42

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 20:42
I missed the footage unfortunately.
About Mydoom - I heard that the virus can look at someones address book and pick out a name and send it to someone else and make it look like it is from a third party. So hypothetically, your superannuation company is in my address book and so are you Ruth. The virus can infect my computer and send you an email from my computer that contains the virus, but the email says it is from your super company. I heard someone say this is what happens on the radio. Maybe your super company is not guilty...2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
"We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing"
AnswerID: 46210

Reply By: Member - Rick (S.A.) - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 21:02

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 21:02
Ruth,

Just want to say thanks for your posts re the floodwaters. Local, intimate knowledge is very valuable to us dreamers & planners. And, as you said the other night, journos from The Advertiser were going to turn up at B'ville. I followed your prompt & saw the pics & simple story in Monday's edition of the 'Tiser.

Incidentally, I have been planning a trip roughly following the Georgina River from Camoweal, along public roads, and maybe, depending on access, along Eyre Creek to where ever it takes me.

This trip has been on the drawing board for 3 months.

Ruth, given what you know of the Diamantina floods & other local knowledge, how long will it take for the roads to dry out? I am hoping to go up through the Sandover Highway (ex Adelaide) and back down through Birdsville/Marree. I'm thinking 4 weeks for the roads to dry enough to be be easily driven, and to catch the vegetation bloom? That is, to depart Adelaide late March, and take three weeks for the trip of approx 4500km.

Cheers

RickRick ( S.A.) - ' All things considered there are only two kinds of men in the world - those who stay at home and those who do not '
AnswerID: 46220

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 17:35

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 17:35
Rick, if you heard me at 7:45 a.m. on ABC SA then the little story I did yesterday must have gone nationwide? Because, (never start a sentence with because), so far today I did ABC Sydney (James Valentine), ABC Brisbane (Ian Townsend) and AAP put out a story which has resulted in me going on 2UE Sydney tonight. They call our Premier Peter Beattie a media tart - but I think I won the title today. Now about this little trip - bit scary really because another ExplorOz Member rang me at lunchtime to talk about a trip he wants to do but he is going to go the other way, and later in the year. Are you thinking of leaving Camooweal and coming south actually along the Georgina because you will be travelling on private tracks and through properties and not well defined roads at all. If this is the case then permission will have to be asked. It is possible (with permission I guess) to come right down across the Donoghue to Ethabuka, Sandringham and into Bedourie, then straight down the road to Birdsville. The only problems I can see are (1) not being able to get permission (2) end of March might be too soon for country to dry out. Fairly difficult trip.You can email me on : ruthdoyle@growzone.com.au if you like on this - might be better.
FollowupID: 308236

Reply By: Member - StevenL - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 23:12

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 23:12
Ruth,

Saw the footage on Adelaide 9 news last night. That's alot of water! Very impressive and should make for a great show of flowers/birds in weeks and months to come. When you talk about a volume of water that is tens of Km across, even if it is only 2 foot deep, that is still more bathtubs than most people can imagine.

It's great to hear the conditions from someone on the ground. The news people are only interssted when there are dramatic pictures of people running around in boats in the middle of the desert!

Has the water reached Innamincka yet?

StevenLPlaydoe GXL TD Manual
It's on order, Delivery in April '04.
This pic will have to do till then. Can't wait!!!
AnswerID: 46253

Follow Up By: Member - StevenL - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 23:22

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 23:22
After re-reading your post about the water reaching Clifton Hills shortly, I just found Clifton Hills in the map book (I have a large scale map and it is just a speck!) so I guess that answers my question about it reaching Innamincka!.

The Channel 9 report actually contrasted the vision of SES flood boats in Birdsville with the publican at Innimincka still choking on dust and flies.

StevenLPlaydoe GXL TD Manual
It's on order, Delivery in April '04.
This pic will have to do till then. Can't wait!!!
FollowupID: 308146

Reply By: David O - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 08:12

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 08:12
Ruth,

Thanks for the reports.

Re the virus, the real sender is hidden, the person you think sent it most likely didn't. The virus selects a name from your address book and makes it look as though they sent it.

Cheers
AnswerID: 46282

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 11:30

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 11:30
I must have a look at the 'Tiser footage - our Federal Member, Bruce Scott, rang this morning to say he saw it on the teev and that there is something in The Australian today (but it's not really about the floods).
StevenL in the Playdo - you are so right about the media being only interested in certain things - what has the inside of the Pub to do with the floods? We often get media phoning up wanting interviews but when you tell them no-one needs to be flown out, no babies being born, no snake bites, plenty of food, everyone having a good time, no one going mad (as in mental) due to isolation - they hang up. What has happened to our national psyche that we must concentrate on the negative?(This should be next subject for long philosophical debate?) Now about the water - glad you found Clifton Hills but that's on the Diamantina. You asked about the water reaching Innamincka - that's the Cooper and no, it's not there yet. Is still only a bit beyond Nappa Merrie Station - will have an eyewitness update tonight. It is thought that the Birdsville Track will be cut today or tomorrow by the Diamantina Water travelling through the Gumboree Channel (runs east of and parallel to the Diamantina River) which has a wonderful collection of good waterholes in it and cuts the Track down on the Pandie/Clifton boundary. I've never seen this channel run before but gives the pastoralists a great boost because of the good waterholes.
Went out to the spot where the baby brolgas were and found 13 red necked avocets - they are a very pretty wader. Have never seen them so close to town before. In 2000 they were breeding on the flats where the water lay almost at Big Red. As for you Rick - I'll have to get the map out and have a butchers - talk to you later about this trip - be a good one though. Bloke says 'pity I can't spend as much time doing work as I can talking to you lot - why won't I talk to him?' Why would you, poor thing - heard it all before.
AnswerID: 46306

Follow Up By: Member - Rick (S.A.) - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 15:51

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 15:51
I'll look forward to it, Ruth

By the way, I heard your surname on the 891 ABC 7:45 news this morning..........................

CheersRick ( S.A.) - ' All things considered there are only two kinds of men in the world - those who stay at home and those who do not '
FollowupID: 308219

Sponsored Links