Lake Torrens Day Trip

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 28, 2013 at 08:25
ThreadID: 104506 Views:1699 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

We are heading up to Warraweena Conservation Park next weekend and was looking at a map and wondering if a day trip from Warraweena out to Lake Torrens is a viable option and if so how long would it take?

From what I can tell its roughly 75kms each way which isn't too far but would be good to hear from anyone that has done the track from Nilpena to the lake.

Thanks in advance.

Lloyd
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Saturday, Sep 28, 2013 at 09:16

Saturday, Sep 28, 2013 at 09:16
The road out to Lake Torrens is mostly(60-70%) good dirt road and you could sit on 60-80Kph comfortably.

There are sections where you have to slow down especially in the creek beds and the sandy section getting closer to the lake.

Best bet is to contact Laura or Graham at Beltana Station as the roads are on their property, they also offer great accommodation in the old shearers quarters and a must have is dinner in the shearing shed.

http://www.beltanastation.com.au/

BTW they are dog friendly.

We were up there about 1 month ago with the motor bikes playing around on their property, they made us feel very welcome and are fantastic real down to earth country people.

If going out to Lake Torrens I would allow a whole day, there is so much to see with fantastic views.

Beltana Station is the property you drive through to get to Warraweena.

AnswerID: 518849

Reply By: KevinE - Saturday, Sep 28, 2013 at 21:38

Saturday, Sep 28, 2013 at 21:38
Hi Lloyd,

We were up there at Easter this year & the road to the Lake Torrens lookout was closed then. We got to drive about a K or 2 down the track from the Hwy near Beltana & came across a sign from the management at Nilpena Station who own the track to Lake Torrens telling us the road to Lake Torrens is closed.

I understand that the owners of the Prairie Hotel at Parachilna also own Nilpena Station & to gain access, you need to contact them.

Good luck with it!

Cheers,

Kevin :=)

AnswerID: 518876

Follow Up By: KevinE - Saturday, Sep 28, 2013 at 21:48

Saturday, Sep 28, 2013 at 21:48
Here's a pic of the sign i mentioned:

Lake Torrens Track 2013
FollowupID: 798816

Sponsored Links