Campground confetti

Submitted: Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 10:00
ThreadID: 104532 Views:2330 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, We've returned from our first "Caravan" trip across the top & Qld (been 4wding for years)and have had a few discussions with other hardened caravaners and we all agree that the Free camping sites and c/parks close to various major tourist attractions are suffering from extreme over use with bins over flowing and toilet litter every where. Each night these parks are brimming and the bins are over full . Now the council do a great job in attending to the parks but more &more the resources are stretched to the limit as the council also back the caravan parks in the town. The Simpson is a good case every one does carry their rubbish out and dump it at the appropriate sites at either end of the track but toilet paper & and those moist towlettes are blowing around every where. Caravaners do carry their black water out, but it seems we all need to brush up on our "camp site Etiquette".
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 11:14

Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 11:14
The Simpson Desert has heaps of dumped rubbish if you look, also if a bin is full, they should take their rubbish with them!

AnswerID: 518938

Reply By: Derek Jones - Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 11:27

Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 11:27
I must admit I am a bit anti-bins.

It seems to me that where bins are placed people are happier to overfill them and stack rubbish beside the bin when it is full. Roadside/overnight stop bins are notorious for being overfilled.

In my utopia world I would prefer to see large mini-skip type bins positioned just outside communities. Make it easier for the local community to monitor and clear out on an as needs basis.

But then I woke up.
AnswerID: 518941

Follow Up By: Mudguard - Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 12:03

Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 12:03
catch 22 isn't it, you still have to educate the thick heads to make that extra effort to not litter. or we'll all end up paying camping fees like National Parks.
FollowupID: 798897

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 12:10

Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 12:10
or the access closed off permanently
FollowupID: 798898

Follow Up By: Member - Tony Z (NSW) - Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 18:37

Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 18:37
Hi all, just came back from Birdsville Races, but on the way there around Quilpie we spotted Maccas rubbish on the side of the road and under the table at a road side rest area. The closest Big M must have been over 200k if not more away. Can't people put this rubbish in a bin, its been in the car for a while live with it!!!!
FollowupID: 798918

Reply By: Member - Coldee - Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 18:53

Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 18:53
Some people just do not care.
We have had nappies left on the seat of a school bus stop. It would be fantastic if people didn't go away and leave their brains at home. Treat where you are like it is your own front yard and be responsible.
It is a bit like the drivers who don't slow down to 50 going through town. I guess I have lived too long on the Pacific Highway between major tourist centres. Too many people are focussed on point A to point B and DILLIGAF about the places in between.
End of rant.
AnswerID: 518966

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 15:47

Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 15:47
A couple of logic flaws in your comments...

a)Some people don't have a brain to leave behind
b)I've seen lots of peoples homes that are exactly like the rubbish tips we find on the road. Completely disgusting.

Checkmate. :-)
FollowupID: 798976

Reply By: Rangiephil - Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 21:22

Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 21:22
Of course the opposite also happens.
When I changed my oil in Derby I scoped out the tip to be confronted with big signs saying ratepayers only. I then made a deal with the oil seller to take my old oil. Still it was annoying.
Similarly in Cooktown , I was supposed to pay AFAIR $10 to dump some oil at the tip, but the blokes on duty said nah its OK.

But I agree that the grey wanderers seem to foul every free camp. Also the comment about black water. I can attest to seeing many many National Park toilets and rest stop toilets reeking from having caravan cassettes poured down them and killing all the bacteria. I have rarely if ever stayed in a free camp because of this although I have driven around many , but really old sale yards, or open fields with a toilet in the corner like at Mareeba do nothing at all for me. . I would rather pay a bit and have clean facilities and no dunny paper everywhere. Although not all camping grounds you pay for are clean . I stayed at One Arm Point and the locals charged $35? a night and the toilets and cold showers were 1KM away. I spent the first half hour shovelling bleep and burying it .
The free camp at Surat comes to mind. I got there at 2pm and people were sprawled out all over the place either guarding spots for friends or just bloody minded and wanting immense sites to themselves. Only a couple of toilets . I went back into town and the Royal Hotel runs a great little caravan park for $18 a night then with great hot showers , power , and clean amenities.

Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 518971

Follow Up By: Mudguard - Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 08:56

Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 08:56
so thats why those eco toilets have started to reek
FollowupID: 798940

Reply By: AlanTH - Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 19:00

Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 19:00
The last time we were at the Galena Bridge WA site the south side of the river was clean with dunnies and bins that got emptied by a main roads contractor. Northside was a bleep heap with bins over flowing and rubbish everywhere and no toilets.
I was talking to the nephew of a middle eastern person who just sat in his vehicle and dropped his rubbish straight out beside him....no attempts at all to bin it. It wasn't until he pulled away I saw the crap he'd left.
I got onto Main Roads who assured me the contractor was supposed to do both areas but when I told them what it was like they assured me they'd get right onto him.
We haven't been that way for a while now but hope it's improved but the behaviour of the above person and others like him will never change.
Let's hope he wasn't let in for "humanitarian reasons"......
AlanH.
AnswerID: 519031

Sponsored Links