Where To Camp / Advice for a First Timer - South East / Southern QLD

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 10:58
ThreadID: 104574 Views:3211 Replies:7 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys, sorry for the long post I've got a bunch of questions but I'll keep it to a couple. I have always had my holidays overseas in hotels and have never been camping before! I've just lost my job so I'm taking 6 months off and have decided to use the spare time to get into some solo camping and see more of QLD other than just Brisbane. I've actually never been further west than Ipswich, or further north than Hervey Bay (except flying to Cairns). Would love to find out from those experienced where some good spots to camp are and also do some photography, and fishing if along the coast. I only have a 2WD Hilux so can't do any off-road stuff, but I was thinking I would start off with places within 5-7 hours drive at first, and then do longer trips when I know what I'm doing.

Also, I figured to start with it would be best to go with a simple camping setup, and I've got the below gear over the last week but just wondering if there is anything I am missing if I were to be away for a week.

Darche Dusk to Dawn 1100 Swag
Sleeping Bag & Pillow
6ft Blow Mould Table
Techniice 60L Ice Box
Coleman Instastart 2 Burner Gas Stove & 5 x 465g LPG Bottles
Coleman Instastart 2 Mantle LPG Lantern (backup if I run out of battery for the Ryobi Light)
Ryobi One+ Workshop LED Light
Ryobi One+ Inflator (probably not needed but I grabbed it in case I need to adjust tyre pressures for some reason)

Sorry again for the long post, but the two questions put simply are.

1. What are good spots within 7 hours drive from Brisbane either north or west for a beginner
2. Is there anything I am missing from my setup that I should have so I don't die in the bush

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: philldeb - Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 11:43

Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 11:43
Darlington park about 26 ks sooth of beaudesert Small fee for camping not a bad spot
AnswerID: 519095

Follow Up By: philldeb - Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 11:45

Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 11:45
Should be south
FollowupID: 799103

Reply By: Pushy - Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 12:45

Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 12:45
Bennoc,

Firstly in regard to your equipment I think you will find a comfy chair and small tarp handy.

For places to visit may I suggest any national park along the great divide between Stanthorpe and Blackbutt. Also such places as Bunya Mts , O'Reilly's, Binna Burra,Mt Mee state forest,Stradbroke Is, Bribie Is and areas north of Noosa.
AnswerID: 519097

Follow Up By: bennoc - Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 12:54

Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 12:54
Completely forgot about a camp chair! I'll head down and pick one up this arvo.
FollowupID: 799109

Reply By: Krooznalong - Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 13:15

Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 13:15
Hey bennoc

Food and water will prevent the death aspect :-)

Hat and sunscreen.

No matter where you go within a few hours of Brissie you'll never be too far from civilization so don't stress - you can just pop into a town and get stuff if you need to.

May I suggest going to Stanthorpe. Call into the local info centre (just over the bridge on the south side of town) and you'll be amazed at how much there is to do and see there. Will easily fill in a week.

As for camping either Girraween National Park or Sommerville Valley Tourist Park should be a great start. Latter is on a huge dam so fishing will be easy. Google will reveal booking details.

Let me have some contact details if you want more info. Regular to that area and know it quite well. Absolutely love it. In fact will be going down this weekend.
AnswerID: 519098

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 13:45

Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 13:45
Hi Bennoc,

To add to your list:
food and water, cooking and eating utensils, wet weather gear including a tarp, insect protection. If you are going to a bush camp with no facilities you will need to have at least a shovel for a toilet pit, and a dish for washing in, plus a towel. Also some garbage bags so you can store your rubbish. Remember the golden rule "leave only footprints, take only photos"- carry out all your rubbish and PLEASE don't leave any toilet waste lying around. Maybe matches IF you want to have a campfire (but as we are coming into summer be very aware of fire restrictions).

Good on you for having a go, and hopefully you will enjoy it as much as most of us on this forum do.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 519102

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 14:01

Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 14:01
Have a look here for an article elsewhere on this site about setting up for camping.

As others have said a good camp chair is an essential.

As to where to go - there are many places. Suggest you have a look in the places section of this site, or get a copy of one of the books on free or low-cost campsites (such as camps Australia). National parks usually have well set up camp grounds with basic facilities, although many dont allow fires. Some free camps have no facilities, but other can be well set up. Some places where we have been and can recommend include Girraween NP, Bunya Mountains, and on the Condamine River further west.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 799114

Reply By: Member - Chris_K - Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 16:34

Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 16:34
Also try here for lots of ideas:

http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/index.php

Chris
AnswerID: 519113

Reply By: bennoc - Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 17:02

Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 17:02
Thanks for all the advice.

One other thing, is it wise to plan a trip or is it fine to just make it up as you go? Can you just pack say a weeks worth of food, and just drive in a direction and stop at a random town before it gets dark and find a place to camp out, or do you need to actually plan where you are going?
AnswerID: 519117

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 17:13

Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 17:13
Hi Bennoc,

When us old hardened travelers (LOL) are thinking about camping for the night we usually start looking for a spot around 3 in the afternoon because if you leave it later than that you are running the risk of having to look for a spot in the dark.... or... all the best spots are taken up.

"First in, best dressed" as the old saying goes.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 799127

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 19:48

Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 19:48
Well you can certainly "make it up as you go" and when on a long trip that is pretty much what we do day to day. But we have been doing that for a few years so have a bit of experience. Plus we have got our gear pretty well sorted.

If I was starting out I would first do a few short trips - short both in distance and duration, and plan both the route and destination. Then as you build confidence and experience you can get more adventurous. There is always an element of the unexpected when camping, so take small steps to start with to minimise unhappy experiences.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 799150

Follow Up By: bennoc - Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 19:53

Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 19:53
Yeah I understand what you are saying and I'm definitely getting ahead of myself before I've even started. I'll start out slow first before taking on any big adventures.

FollowupID: 799151

Reply By: Shany - Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 20:19

Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 20:19
I'm guessing you have your water & food storage sorted
AnswerID: 519132

Sponsored Links