Visit to a working station?

Submitted: Friday, Oct 04, 2013 at 07:41
ThreadID: 104582 Views:2703 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hey there all.
We are planning a 3 week trip from Melbourne to Qld in April 2014. The first part will be up the coast in around a week, but the way home we would like to take a little slower. On the way home we would like to go through places like Tamworth and Dubbo in Nsw. We will have our 2 awesome kids with us, (boy 5, girl 10) and I would love to take them to a working sheep or cattle station. I have researched "farmstays", but have found them to be a little general....ducklings, feed a lamb, milk a cow etc. What I would love to show my kids is sheep shearing, or cattle mustering. I want our kids to learn and appreciate where "stuff" comes from on this trip. We will have our camper trailer with us, and be totally self sufficient. Of the beaten track would add some excitement too!
Hopefully you guys get what I'm talking about, and I would love to hear your suggestions or comments.
Cheers
Chris.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Wamuranman - Friday, Oct 04, 2013 at 07:51

Friday, Oct 04, 2013 at 07:51
Chris if you want to experience the real outback head further west and stay at Carisbrooke station west of Winton.

http://www.carisbrookestation.com.au/

While in the area there is also the dinosaur places which your awesome kids would love..."Age of Dinosaurs" and the Dinosaur footprints at Larke Quarry.

Cheers
AnswerID: 519146

Reply By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Friday, Oct 04, 2013 at 08:06

Friday, Oct 04, 2013 at 08:06
Chris, have a look at this site. It will give you some suggestions that are closer to your suggested route home.

Outback Beds website

Cheers,

Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 519147

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Friday, Oct 04, 2013 at 08:10

Friday, Oct 04, 2013 at 08:10
For some reason that link doesn't want to work. Just type www.outbackbeds.com.au into your browser and you will have it.
Cheers,
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 799182

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Friday, Oct 04, 2013 at 11:18

Friday, Oct 04, 2013 at 11:18
Sheep shearing and cattle mustering are pretty seasonal so you have to be there at the right time on a working station.
For instance Kilcowera Station near Thargomindah has just finished their cattle mustering.
Charlotte Plains near Cunnamulla did their shearing at the end of May
AnswerID: 519161

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Friday, Oct 04, 2013 at 11:54

Friday, Oct 04, 2013 at 11:54
Chris,

Try checking out Farm Stay Camping Australia there may be something that suits

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 519164

Reply By: outback epicurean - Saturday, Oct 05, 2013 at 14:21

Saturday, Oct 05, 2013 at 14:21
Hi
There are several farms along the Darling river between Louth and Mendinee. Try Trilby station, Neila Garri, and there are others. Ring pub at louth or tilpia for current ideas.
AnswerID: 519214

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Oct 05, 2013 at 17:09

Saturday, Oct 05, 2013 at 17:09
If you want to see a farm stay or two you will have to spend some time at them not just a night or two. I would suggest not going up the coast but do a circle trip up the inland.

Outback Beds
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 519216

Reply By: Kilcowera Station Stay - Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 07:18

Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 07:18
Hi Chris, we are mustering cattle in March - April next year, but at this stage I can't be more specific than that. With this sort of seasonal work we have to get all the ducks to line up before we start. Shearing is usually a bit more definite. As others have suggested Outback Beds is a good option, I would pick the ones you are interested in and give them a ring to see if there is anything going on when you plan to be there.
We also offer guided tours of the property where you get to drive around with one of us checking the stock, putting lick out and checking waters and fences, on this tour people get an idea of the work involved in running a station. Regards Toni
AnswerID: 519237

Sponsored Links