User Treks

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 07:55
ThreadID: 104603 Views:1425 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Is there any way of finding out how a user trek was done as I have been looking at some in the Snowy Mountains (eg. Around Kiandra 05 Mar 11 - NSW ) and I am keen to do them but on my topo map it says there is a locked gate on either end of Spicers Trail but the trek seems to use this trail . Could it have been done on a bike or something ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 08:48

Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 08:48
Hi Cuee

Depending on how the recorder has set up the Ozi data to be recorded, you can read the data at any point and it will tell you what you need to know.

For example, at the locked gates, it should say they have slowed down and stopped, the speed will show 0 and depending how long they have stopped for it will tell you how long they were there for. It should then show you they have driven forward again to go through the gate, stop again to close the gate and then continue on.

If yoy know what you are looking for, there is far more date recorded in Ozi than you would think.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 519241

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 23:18

Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 23:18
If the track was recorded on a motorbike and they rode around the gate then you would not know if there was a gate there or not. I am not aware if you can tell what sort of vehicle recorded the track.

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 799340

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 23:29

Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 23:29
Hi Idler Chris

If there are closed gates, one would presume that there would be a fence line, that still making the motor bike still having to stop and open the gate.

But to answer the question, you would not really know on what type of vehicle the data was taken from. If you know the track reasonably well, you would see that a motor bike would do the track quicker.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 799342

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 00:01

Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 00:01
Many gates I have seen have motor bike tracks around them so you could never be sure. However U have answered the the query because a motorbike recorded track will be much much quicker than a motor car.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 799345

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 18:21

Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 18:21
As well as recording the track and waypoints using OziExplorer, the person creating the trek is supplied with a word document specifying what is required in the way of additional information, pictures, interesting observations, etc. ExplorOz staff then check the trek for suitability before making it available for others.
I guess if if a person came across any access gate that is locked, they would put this in their treknote, along with contact details of where the key can be obtained from, (for a cost probably), but it may also be that the property owner has barred access since the treknote was created, maybe because of problems experienced more recently by undesirables spoiling it for others.

Is there any contact detail in the treknote that you can use to obtain more information?

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 519337

Reply By: CUEE - Tuesday, Oct 08, 2013 at 21:48

Tuesday, Oct 08, 2013 at 21:48
Sorry I forgot to say that the gates are National Park gates and have been there for a long time. They are put in spots where you cant get around them ( safely anyhow ). I was not considering someone using a motorbike and the software . I was interested whether the gates had been moved as the trek was done recently , but not likely as they dont want you accessing the Park unless your on horseback . Thanks for your replies.
AnswerID: 519419

Sponsored Links