ford ranger

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 09, 2013 at 19:13
ThreadID: 104658 Views:5136 Replies:7 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
about to order a new ranger dual cab 4x4 any advice welcome,i know there is a 6 month wait for an auto,how are they going working in the mines? thanks in advance barry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: coonick - Wednesday, Oct 09, 2013 at 20:38

Wednesday, Oct 09, 2013 at 20:38
I have just come back today from 2 weeks in the outback, the adelaideto innaminka to Birdsville to adelaide loop with my ranger, we had 4 cars 2 of which were a PX ranger, the other one was a manual king cab towing a camper, me a manual aswell not towing....both went awesome. NO issues . chewed up the tracks no problem. You will be more than happy when you get yours......
AnswerID: 519466

Follow Up By: NTVRX - Wednesday, Oct 09, 2013 at 21:18

Wednesday, Oct 09, 2013 at 21:18
Make sure you have a large area to do U turns or similar....the turning circle is disappointing.
FollowupID: 799603

Follow Up By: Rockape - Thursday, Oct 10, 2013 at 10:37

Thursday, Oct 10, 2013 at 10:37
ntvrx,
one thing you have to allow here is the size of the vehicle.

An example of this, is it is 1/2 metre longer than a Pajero and the circle is about the same as the other dual cabs on the market.

Ranger 12.9m, Navara 13.2m, Hilux 12.7m. A troopcarrier is 300 mm shorter and has a turning circle of 13.6m.

All these utes are longer than a 200 series.

FollowupID: 799626

Follow Up By: NTVRX - Thursday, Oct 10, 2013 at 12:20

Thursday, Oct 10, 2013 at 12:20
Fair enough Rockape I didn't bother to do any research on the vehicle as I am not interested. I am expressing a view that,on driving my friend's BT50 I was really disappointed on first impression. He also mentioned on value for money the BT was better than the Ranger (although the same vehicle) was more expensive!! ps I didn't bother to follow up on that piece of info either!!
FollowupID: 799629

Reply By: Member - Peter H1 (NSW) - Wednesday, Oct 09, 2013 at 20:40

Wednesday, Oct 09, 2013 at 20:40
Don't know about the mines but mine is going OK, towing a 3.5 T 5'er clocked up 35k and 28k of that was towing.

PeterH
AnswerID: 519467

Follow Up By: Member - Glenda and Max C (QLD - Thursday, Oct 10, 2013 at 08:22

Thursday, Oct 10, 2013 at 08:22
Peter
I have a 24ft Truelux 5th wheeler and want to replace my Navara with a new Ranger.
Any problems with the hitch.Mine is a tow ball type hitch.
How is the turning circle.
Regards
Max
FollowupID: 799617

Follow Up By: Member - Peter H1 (NSW) - Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 13:54

Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 13:54
Hi Max,
My ranger is the supercab, more room for the hitch also a ball.
The turning circle is not bad [as the F250] and you can slide the hitch back 300mm to give you more space when backing, though I have not found the need to do this.
I would recommend the Ford for a "primemover" for a 5'er.

PeterH
FollowupID: 799680

Follow Up By: Member - Peter H1 (NSW) - Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 13:58

Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 13:58
Max,
I think you need a flat top for your Truelux, if you want auto then you have to get the pick up and dump the tub [make a good trailer].

PeterH
FollowupID: 799681

Follow Up By: Member - Glenda and Max C (QLD - Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 15:02

Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 15:02
Peter
Thanks for that info
I am sold on the Ranger so I guess if I want one in March 2014 I had better order it now
Regards
Max
FollowupID: 799683

Reply By: Member - Outback Gazz - Wednesday, Oct 09, 2013 at 21:00

Wednesday, Oct 09, 2013 at 21:00
G'day Barry

You can tow Ayers Rock to Darwin with the 3.2 litre 6 speed auto Ranger !

Your best bet is to visit the NewRanger website and get on the forum and you will get all the info you want on the Ranger and see how happy most people are with ALL aspects of the Ranger / BT50 ! Heaps of valuable info there !

I have owned and driven the big Toyotas, Nissans and other big names for 25 plus years and whilst my Ranger is only 18 months old I can say it has so far ( time will tell ) been one of the best 4WD's I have ever owned/driven !!

Off road ability in stock standard form is very very impressive.

I wasn't too sure about getting an auto but now I reckon it was the best decision I have ever made ( apart from divorcing the ex )

All the best

Gazz

AnswerID: 519471

Reply By: Rockape - Wednesday, Oct 09, 2013 at 21:44

Wednesday, Oct 09, 2013 at 21:44
Barry,
So far where I worked they are going well. They are used in both surface and underground environments, and are handling it well with very few problems. They are getting close to 12 months old now, so any problems should start showing up. Just to get that into perspective. Some will clock up around 10,000 hours and be in the tip by between 3 and 4 years old.

They have lost 2 engines due to water and no snorkel, which points to either someone going to fast through the puddle or exceeding the fording depths. 2 other problems are dust getting through the air filters and flat batteries.

Both the coal and hard rock mines are having the dust issue, while a bad batch of batteries have been replaced. This in itself has not cured the flat battery problem completely, so they turned off the smart charge system through a program change. Much of this problem is also caused by short running with all the lights on and radios running. Plus the keys are left in the ignition all the time which can delay the electronic systems from going to sleep. I will ring and get an update shortly, on any new problems that may have arisen.

I have a super cab auto and so far has had no problems. It has clocked up around 21000k with 16000K towing. No issues so far. I have had the smart charge turned off, always remove the keys and lock the vehicle to avoid any chance of a flat battery. The vehicle has impeccable manners off road and on hard tracks. The main short coming even with a 50mm lift is the factory stump jump plow towbar.

If you go to the new ranger forum always look for common faults with a few pages of responses. The threads that are short are usually just a few vehicles that have a particular problem for what ever reason.

AnswerID: 519476

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Thursday, Oct 10, 2013 at 06:44

Thursday, Oct 10, 2013 at 06:44
Thanks for the update Rockape.
Still have not replaced my aging Hilux & wait for your reports on the Rangers because the Ranger is on my shortlist.

I cant remember but is yours the Auto?
I prefer manual myself but I am a little concerned about the horror stories of the Dual Mass Flywheels being an issue on some vehicles. Are the ones on the mine site you refer to Manual?
Look forward to your updates.

Cheers
Stu
FollowupID: 799611

Follow Up By: Rick (S.A.) - Thursday, Oct 10, 2013 at 08:42

Thursday, Oct 10, 2013 at 08:42
Re the engine issues - I have a snorkel on my BT 50:

I had been tapping the air filter element out while on dirt roads and getting rid of plenty. Come next service & it appears that doing so has seriously damaged the structure of the air filter. Dirt got past the element and into the turbo.

A pull down and clean out ($1,000) showed no substantial damage and none had gone past the turbo (phew!)

So be wary of dusting your engine. Currently I am investigating Uni Filter " Droopie" which are sock like elements installed in the snorkel head and claimed to eliminate 90% of dirt getting into the air cleaner.

Cheers
RM
FollowupID: 799618

Follow Up By: Rockape - Thursday, Oct 10, 2013 at 10:27

Thursday, Oct 10, 2013 at 10:27
Rick,
yes it is an auto and the mine ones are manual. Will try and ring a mate and find out how they are going. It may take a while to get through to him.

FollowupID: 799625

Reply By: gbc - Thursday, Oct 10, 2013 at 06:24

Thursday, Oct 10, 2013 at 06:24
We ordered 2 xl 3.2 autos last week for a delivery date of October 22. A 3 week turnaround and most of that is at ARB getting canopy and bullbars fitted.
If we wanted any colour than white we are looking at christmas. I didnt ask about xlt delivery times because we arent interested in them.
AnswerID: 519485

Reply By: tdv - Thursday, Oct 10, 2013 at 09:22

Thursday, Oct 10, 2013 at 09:22
Hi Barry

I have done 52,000km in my XLT Auto. Much of this is towing and offroad. I have had a flat battery twice which as others suggest seems to be from leaving the keys in the ignition for a few days without starting. I now always remove the keys and no problems. I have just returned from Cape York towing a camper laden with boat etc. Did the job with ease. I still have the standard suspension but have added ARB bulbar and winch, dual batteries etc.

Very happy with mine so far and hope it is good for several hundred thousand more kms.

Cheers, Terry
AnswerID: 519488

Reply By: Peter F9 - Thursday, Oct 10, 2013 at 14:54

Thursday, Oct 10, 2013 at 14:54
Barry,

Mine is the xlt auto, 12 months old, done 19,000kms including the 5,000km a Sydney, Flinders, Oodnadatta track, Coober Pedy loop. Also 2 x 2000km trips out to Fords Bridge and Wanaaring, Very happy with it so far. No problems on the dirt and rough stuff. Surprisingly good ride on the bitumen vs our old Rodeo. Pulls like a tractor. Battery flat once as per the other posts - now take keys out of ignition when not using and no problem since.

Be sceptical of people who tell you that the BT50's are cheaper therefore better value. When I bought mine I had intended to buy the BT50 as I was also told they were better value but my research suggested that they were only cheaper because you got less.
When I priced the XLT vs the equivalently equipped BT50 the Mazda was actually $200 dearer.
What they don't tell you is that he Mazda (at least when i bought mine 12 months ago) doesn't come standard with a tow bar, rear parking sensors, or tray sports bar. All standard on the XLT. So apples to apples there pretty similar in price.
Cheers
Peter

AnswerID: 519498

Follow Up By: Mazdave - Thursday, Oct 10, 2013 at 16:00

Thursday, Oct 10, 2013 at 16:00
Peter,
I agree there is little difference in price between the XLT and the BT equivalent the XTR. However, I found significant difference in the XL Ranger and The XT BT50. (more base model) I priced both from 2 different Ford Dealers and 1 Mazda. The Mazda was between 4 to 6K cheaper depending on dealer. In addition the Mazda has the diff locker std, whilst the Ford doesnt offer it in XL format. So in my case on the more basic version, XT Freestyle cab Chassis, there was a significant price difference in so much as I have all ways been a Ford person, but for a minimum of 4k difference I am now a converted Mazda man.

FollowupID: 799640

Follow Up By: 4wheeler - Thursday, Oct 10, 2013 at 20:38

Thursday, Oct 10, 2013 at 20:38
I had a similar experience to Mazedave. My BT50 XT is just on 12 months old. I looked at the manual Ford Ranger XL and the BT 50 XT. I went to two ford dealers and got pricing, both about the same. I said I felt they were a bit expensive and told them I would check out the Mazda dealership, but told the Ford dealers they could give me a call if they could do a better price. My feeling was that the dealers were not that interested in me as the vehicle was for private use and I did not have an ABN.

The Mazda dealer I went to seemed to actually want to do a good deal. I indicated the price I was prepared to pay, they agreed and I signed up for the car on the spot. Price difference was $10,000.

I found out two days later that a friend of mine in the 4x4 club of which I am a member had exactly the same experience, and independently bought a BT50 from the same dealer.

The BT came standard with a rear diff lock where the Ranger was a $500.00 option at the time. In terms of the base specification, there is not a $10,000 difference between a Ford Ranger XL and the Mazda BT50 XT. Yes, the Ford looks better externally to me, but I find the Mazda interior great to live with. The only thing I would change is I would purchase an auto next time.

The other thing about the Mazda at the time was the electrical system was simpler than the Ford so was easier to add accessories to the system without mucking up the BCM, and other computer controlled systems. So far so good.

FollowupID: 799653

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 19:45

Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 19:45
4wheeler, Around the time you said you went to the Ford dealers and they weren't that interested in the sale may of had something to do with not being able to fulfill orders as demand outweighed supply.

Around that time there were a few BIG fleet deals happening (just shy of 1000 vehicles) and the Ford dealers were pulling vehicles from anywhere to fill the order.

This only affected the XL models...... the XLT models were in short supply about the same time due to production runs and allocations.

We had to wait about 7 weeks for our XLT, unless we wanted red.

BTW Mazda markets their BT50 at the passenger and recreational market and Ford markets theirs to the tradie/fleet and recreational customer.

FollowupID: 799699

Follow Up By: 4wheeler - Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 20:45

Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 20:45
Hi Olcoolone,
Yes, you are correct about the delivery delays with the Ford at the time. Funny thing was in the end I had to wait 3 months for my BT as there was a supply problem with the locking rear diff at the time.

Just saw in the paper today a good deal for the Ranger XLS manual which seems to be available to private purchasers as no fine print regarding ABN is listed. If that is correct then that makes that model Ranger a good proposition and might mean Mazda might have to deal even harder.

I suspect that 12 months on since I purchased the Mazda they are all far keener to make deals as now they Colorado and Isuzu utes to contend with as well as price drops for the VW's, Nissan and Tritons. All good for anyone wanting to purchase a new 4x4 ute.

It will probably all change again when Toyota brings in a new Hilux which I would think would be due in the next 12 to 18 months.
FollowupID: 799703

Sponsored Links