Tasmania - local's recommendations for 4WD tracks

Submitted: Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 08:56
ThreadID: 104687 Views:3001 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Yes I did search and it would take years to read it all and get what I need. And then I wouldn't be sure if the info was out of date etc. So I will try this post. At about 6:30pm last night a comment "Why not Tassie". By 7:00 the ferry was booked. Half an hour later we had the house, pot plants and the cats looked after with a relative staying here. Is that quick or not!!! Intro ramble over.

We spent the evening until this morning looking at the stuff about the NW area of Tassie. We have done an extensive 2wd drive around the island a few years back. Now we want places to see and with tracks suitable for a 4WD solo and not into stuff like the Balfour Track but don't mind a challenge etc.Sandy Cape is out also. I lost a car in quicksand and don't want to again (50 years ago Army landrover SSHH Don't tell them) .

Car is a 100 series. No lockers but lifted a bit and suspension has been strengthened. We both know how to get the best out of the car. Winch and all the recovery gear. No towing Have a roof top tent and plenty of camping kit.

I have downloaded all the EO tracks and have a great link to the Arthur Pieman Conversation Area document and their recommended tracks. But open to any area at this stage.

I am not rushing planning and there is plenty of time. But the more info we can get now would be a benefit considering how short the drive is.

So any recommendations for 4WD tracks. Dates 24 Dec to 4 Jan. Only need a track name or a link. Don't want people to go to a great deal of trouble on our account.

Thanks in anticipation

Phil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 09:14

Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 09:14
Gday Phil
I was there for ten days in May 1970 and didnt see a thing. I suppose that only means that I had a good honeymoon.

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 519575

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 10:54

Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 10:54
Good one Boris. A bit late for a "first" honeymoon for us mate. That happened 45 years ago.

Phil
FollowupID: 799720

Reply By: Life Member - Fred B (ex-NT) - Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 12:57

Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 12:57
Gooday Phil,
I have just ordered url=http://www.exploroz.com/Shop/Roving_Land_and_Recreation+4WD_tracks_in_Tasmania__Off_road_Tasmania.aspx?s=4WD%20tracks%20in%20tasmania]4WD Tracks in Tasmania [/url]
from the EO Shop. It will be interesting to see whats in that. Have been wanting to do the Tassie trip for some time now, but haven't been able to get away just yet.
regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 519586

Follow Up By: Life Member - Fred B (ex-NT) - Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 12:59

Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 12:59
Sorry, something happened to the URl in posting it. The map book is : 4WD Tracks in Tasmania - Off Road
regards
Fred B

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 799724

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 13:15

Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 13:15
I put it in the wish list for now. Just spent $3.5 on front stairs. Isn't maintenance a blast!!!!

Try this link:4WD%20Tracks%20in%20Tasmania]4WD tracks in Tasmania: Off road Tasmania

Stick to using the links option. The first "[URL] switch was missing

Phil
FollowupID: 799727

Follow Up By: Life Member - Fred B (ex-NT) - Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 14:35

Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 14:35
I did....
regards
Fred B

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 799728

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 14:58

Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 14:58
It looks like the opening left hand square bracket "[" was missing.

I took the text from your post added a "[" at the start and it camp up properly in Preview. I then deleted it before I submitted the response. Sorry, I should have been more detailed.

No worries though. I went to the link and put the book in my EO Wish List. All good info.

Cheers and thanks again

Phil
FollowupID: 799731

Reply By: Member - Rob S (NSW) - Sunday, Oct 13, 2013 at 09:59

Sunday, Oct 13, 2013 at 09:59
Hi Phil
I took the 4wd tracks book with me to Tassi in 2010, this was the best recomended book from this site at the time, and about the only book available.
I did a full lap off Tassi and managed to do a few tracks, though be awere track conditions do change, i did find a few over grown and impassable.
If you get to Coles bay, the Friendly Beaches track and Blue Stone bay tracks, are easy,only short but well worth it.
The Western explorer rd is well graded on the West coast .
Montezuma Falls is another must do not far from Zeehan.
Though do allow enough time for this the track, was slow going and narrow in sections, when i was there, was a few deep clay boggy holes, but firm bottom should be no problem in a 100 series.
If your in Sydney area you can borrow my book??

4wd Tracks in Tasmania, buy Chris Boden

Rob
I only ever made one mistake
and that's when I thought I was wrong!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 519634

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Oct 13, 2013 at 18:23

Sunday, Oct 13, 2013 at 18:23
All good Rob

I am in Canberra. So I will look at buying the book. Montezuma is already on the list and will look at the Coles abY area tracks and the Western Explorer. I assume the latter is a tourist drive type of thing.

Thanks Rob

Appreciated

Phil
FollowupID: 799830

Reply By: Shaker - Monday, Oct 14, 2013 at 16:37

Monday, Oct 14, 2013 at 16:37
A lot of the tracks on the West Coast have got steel gates, or huge rocks or logs blocking access, damn Greenies!

AnswerID: 519687

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Oct 14, 2013 at 18:46

Monday, Oct 14, 2013 at 18:46
I have sent out feelers to the local rangers and recreational areas to see what they can advise.

Thanks for the warning but it is becoming the norm no matter where you go. We just have to dob the mongrels in and get rid of the trash.

Same here mate.

We spent yesterday driving a lot of tracks in a closed forest. The gates were big enough to stop a Mack truck. Helps to have the Rangers approval to proceed. Yep - club drive. Good tracks also. Nice a steep some of them and plenty or rock steps to practice on. There are limits put on us but we do have full go in an area called the playground. Didn't even scratch the car this time.

We were there a couple of weeks back.

Another good reason to be in a club with good rapport with the Authorities/rangers etc.

Phil

FollowupID: 799904

Sponsored Links