Cost of exiting the CSR from through Granite Peak or Glen Ayle Station

Hi all,

I've just been up to CSR to Well 12 and wish report some changes to the costs of exiting through Granite Peak from Well 5

$30 per vehicle
$15 per trailer
$40 for Oka type vehicles trucks or buses.

Glen Ayle fees remain at $20 regardless of vehicle or towing or not.

Granite Peak put the fees up because earlier this year when the CSR was closed a couple of 'idiots' got off the CSR drove the track to Granite Peak cutting it up badly then dashed past the homestead without paying.

Again few spoil things for all.

cheers

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: cookie1 - Thursday, Oct 17, 2013 at 21:05

Thursday, Oct 17, 2013 at 21:05
That's a real shame on those that did not do the right thing. I have a lot of time for the owner / managers of Granite Peak having helped me out with some fuel last year even though they were low themselves.

Great people who deserve a bit of respect from us travellers out that way

cheers
AnswerID: 519879

Follow Up By: Phil B (WA) - Thursday, Oct 17, 2013 at 22:13

Thursday, Oct 17, 2013 at 22:13
I agree with you cookie 1, Jim and Natalie are fantastic people.

cheers

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 800192

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 08:03

Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 08:03
I couldn't remember their names for the life of me, Thank You

As I said, great people

cheers
FollowupID: 800202

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 10:55

Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 10:55
Good to find this info.

We, a group of 4 - 5 cars are planning on a north to south transit next year.

Is this the accepted exit to Wiluna for anyone towing campers? I am not towing but maybe two will.

A bit OT and Michelle may go crook on me.

Phil
AnswerID: 519908

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 11:49

Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 11:49
Yes mate, either Glen Ayle or Granite Peak, Glen Ayle is now cheaper but you would miss out on some spectacular spots especially Well 6 Pierre Spring exiting a bit earlier.

cheers
FollowupID: 800219

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 13:36

Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 13:36
Thanks Cookie

The cost is irrelevant. Only too happy to pay. It must be a pain when people stuff their roads up.

Personally we will be going all the way. It's just one of the others who is towing.

Have a good one

Phil
FollowupID: 800225

Follow Up By: Member - DingoBlue(WA) - Saturday, Oct 19, 2013 at 18:17

Saturday, Oct 19, 2013 at 18:17
I've just returned from the CSR and advise that the corrugations either side of Kunawarritji are fairly severe. There were two C/Ts there with blown shocks and they'd given up and heading into Newman. I'm glad I didn't take my c/t.
Although not recommended, you could traverse the route with one. You might have some difficulties on some of the dunes, leaving a bit of a mess for those following.
Would suggest spare shocks for both tow vehicle and c/t.
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 800346

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Saturday, Oct 19, 2013 at 20:47

Saturday, Oct 19, 2013 at 20:47
We have one member who is undecided on towing. Iwill send him alink to this thread.

While direction were you travelling?

Phil
FollowupID: 800355

Follow Up By: Member - DingoBlue(WA) - Sunday, Oct 20, 2013 at 10:59

Sunday, Oct 20, 2013 at 10:59
We were travelling from South to North. The wildflowers on the Southern section are spectacular. A very rare occurrence.
Averaged about 20km/hr for most of the trip but speeds increased the further North we went. Took 11 days Wiluna -Halls Creek

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 800392

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Oct 20, 2013 at 13:00

Sunday, Oct 20, 2013 at 13:00
We allocated 20 days for the whole trip for the group at initial planning. We may drop that back later.

Thanks

Phil
FollowupID: 800411

Follow Up By: Member - DingoBlue(WA) - Sunday, Oct 20, 2013 at 13:35

Sunday, Oct 20, 2013 at 13:35
By the time you get up, have breakfast and pack up, most days we started at about 8.30. Stopped for smoko at about 10 10-30. Lunch at 12-12.30. Started looking to camp at about 3.00. this schedule gives you plenty of time to stop at wells etc. and allows a relaxing late afternoon/ evening. Had several half days i.e stopping early, at Durba Springs, Kunawarritji and Stretch Lagoon.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 800415

Follow Up By: Mark T6 - Sunday, Oct 20, 2013 at 16:51

Sunday, Oct 20, 2013 at 16:51
I did the CSR (South to North) in July with 3 other vehicles ( no trailers)....I agree Well 6 is probably the besst spot on the entire CSR (other than Durba Springs which is an oasis).

For one I would not even consider a trailer BUT we did see a few.....those corrugations talked about above are the worst I have ever experienced, and I am no virgin traveller to rough roads.

Absolutly relenting and not just either side of Kunawarratji but many other parts as well...even between the Dunes in the north is pretty bad.

Amazing part of the world though, loved every minute of it just a pitty it's so bloody far to get there (and back) from Brisbane
FollowupID: 800425

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Oct 20, 2013 at 17:37

Sunday, Oct 20, 2013 at 17:37
Last year we went west to east through the Simpson on the WAA line and then the QAA. We chose the WAA line because Geoff at Mt Dare said at the time it was the hardest. I have been told that the CSR is a damned hard drive. Something that I would not have experienced before. Rugged and harsh land. We have been around but I chose the "sources" words.

How would people say the Simpson and CSR compare?

Phil
FollowupID: 800427

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Sunday, Oct 20, 2013 at 17:47

Sunday, Oct 20, 2013 at 17:47
Hi Phil, when we went through the Canning we were expecting it to be very hard but we just cruised through, pardon the pun. We did it in 10 days owing to our expectations that at some point the drive would be hard and slow going, we spent our "extra" time doing the Red Centre again.

The Southern section is very picturesque so would take my time in and around this area. Personally I reckon the Simpson is on par with with the Canning. The risks of others is still present as there was an accident just prior to us going through, 2 vehicles cresting a dune from opposite sides.

cheers mate and enjoy yourself

Colin
FollowupID: 800430

Follow Up By: Member - DingoBlue(WA) - Sunday, Oct 20, 2013 at 18:10

Sunday, Oct 20, 2013 at 18:10
We crossed the Simpson last year following the French line, down Erabena, across on Rig Road and back up to the French line via Knolls track.
The Simpson consisted of more sand driving compared with the CSR. The CSR this year had many varied surfaces and of course the inevitable corrugations.
The wildflowers were more prolific on the Southern half of the CSR however, there was a dearth of wildlife. One Dingo and a few Camels. The Simpson was alive with wildlife.
Traveled both in September.
In my opinion, the CSR is probably a bit more demanding on the vehicles but both are fantastic runs.
Average speed was about the same for both.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 800434

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Oct 20, 2013 at 18:27

Sunday, Oct 20, 2013 at 18:27
Colin and Dingo. Thanks guys.

This is what I am expecting. All reports in recent months have been the same. BUT We will not underestimate the remoteness and isolation. Not the lack of Maccas and all those luxuries like showers and running hot water. While I wanted to drive it solo I have not been able to get the doctors approval so I am getting a group together. Three other cars so far. All well experienced and capable drivers and navigators. And a good spread of "handy" people on board.

This is the last item on my bucket list. I will still have Googs track, Balfour track, Billy Goat, Sky Trek, The Vic High country, The Pilbera, A repeat Kimberley. etc etc.

God we are lucky to be in Oz. You llittle Beauty.

Phil
FollowupID: 800437

Follow Up By: Phil B (WA) - Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 12:46

Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 12:46
Hi PJR

Re towing a camper trailer along the whole CSR.
I have travelled the CSR since the late 1990s and done the whole route three times. I have a camper trailer, an off road model, and I would not ever tow a trailer along the whole route.

You have already have been told by others why not and what the probs are and I agree with them. You/they will soon tire of problems getting over dunes, reversing back down and having another try, the corros, trailer damage, contents inside camper shaken up like an omlette and for those not towing, helping out, waiting on the other side, filling in holes on dune faces etc etc.

The 1800 km plus journey isn't the Simpson or some other much shorter trip, this trip will test your resolve without a camper.

No its not illegal to tow on the CSR (except below W5) but I would do it.

cheers

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 800482

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 13:06

Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 13:06
Thanks Phil

I personally do not tow and most likely never will again. Too restrictive for my liking.

However, I will pass your comments on but I think that the decision not to tow has already been made.

I know it isn't the Simpson but I was trying to use the Simpson WAA line, which was reportedly the hardest last year, which we found it dead easy, as a benchmark.

We are fully aware of the remoteness and isolation and having to rely on ourselves for everything. That is given. What we do not have is a way of measuring what others mean by "hard", "difficult" and other suitable adjectives that people employ to describe the Canning. It's a bit like a short piece of string. Trying to more accurately what is meant by "short". Some people actually won't, and can't, drive up Billy Goat in the Vic High country. Whereas other find it a piece of cake.

Thanks again.

Phil

I saw a photo once. It was my wife's boss' car down to the door sills in mud on the Canning. The caption read "18 kilometers today: a GOOD day".
FollowupID: 800483

Reply By: Mark T6 - Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 14:28

Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 14:28
I have done both the Simpson and also the CSR

The Simpson was ,

"Some" Corrugations, some easy driving, a LOT of Dunes, some salt pans (not much fun if there has been recent rain)....I thought it was tough when I did it but that was my very first "big" trek

The CSR was,

Unrelenting...whilst you could do it in 10 days (if you were having really long days or going pretty flat out) we took it easy, visited all the wells, climbed a lot of hills, visited a lot of water holes and took almost 3 weeks to do it......by the end (as much as I enjoyed it) I thought "thank heavens that's over".

There was hundreds of KMS of Corrugations, and the worst I have ever experienced either side of Kunawarratji. There wasn't many Dunes, and the ones that we did cross were baby's in comparison to the Simmo

But it (in my opinion) this was a very tough unrelenting track....lots of rocks, dry creek bed crossings and little "easy going".

At the end of the experience you are pretty buggered.....loved doing it, LOVED the scenary, the outdoors and everything else but do not go on this thinking it's just a road like the Birdsville Track / Oodnadatta Track (yep done those as well), this is nothing other than a rough bush track that goes on and on and on.

We by the way aimed for 100KM per day and had 2 x 2 night stays (just for a rest)....Durba and then at (or near) Well 41.

It's an iconic track and I am proud to say I have done it but it's certainly not for the feint hearted!
AnswerID: 520107

Follow Up By: Member - DingoBlue(WA) - Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 23:22

Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 23:22
Have to agree Mark.
Iv'e spent many years in the Pilbara of Western Australia in the late 70's and traveled extensively throughout Western Australia in particular. Also Gunbarrel, Connie Sue, Anne Beadell, Googs, Simpson, Birdsville, Oodnadatta etc. etc.
I found the CSR to be the most challenging of all the "iconic" routes but none were really a major problem. I've encountered more difficult situations in my various travels than any of the routes named above.
Having said that, the CSR requires much more serious planning and preparation as against the other tracks. If you are properly prepared and take your time, there will be no major obstacles to tackling the CSR.
You need to ensure you have adequate fuel, water and food, spare parts, communications and first aid equipment.
Your comment re the dunes is my experience as well, although instead of going straight up and over, there were many right angle bends at the bottom of the dunes making traversing somewhat difficult compared to the Simpson.
The degree of difficulty claimed for each track is a very personal expression based on the individual's experience and knowledge. I had a mate told me that the road from Gibb River to Windjana Gorge was horrific, however we found the road to be excellent, a bit stony but 80-90kph with no problem.
Phil, if you are well prepared, go and enjoy yourself. The CSR is without doubt the best of 'the iconic tracks'.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 800557

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 17:48

Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 17:48
Tend to agree Mark. I've traveled many of the tracks mentioned by DingoBlue and when I was asked on my return "were the conditions worse than you expected or had done before?" I had to answer truthfully - no. Nothing specific on the CSR was worse than anything else I'd seen, the real issue was the remoteness just the sheer unrelenting length of it without any break. There were good bits and there were bad bits, the real issue was you couldn't opt out, you just had to tough it out, which is why preparation is paramount.

Having said that, all of our group loved the trip and didn't have one iota of regret, despite some of the difficulties.
FollowupID: 800631

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 19:21

Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 19:21
I am begging to think that we will be fine with what we expect. It took a few hours to get a few cars through haunted Creek in the Vic High country once. The climb out was as rough as anything I have ever encountered in a 4wd car. I have experienced worse in an x6x Army wrecker and several and tracked and multi-wheeled Army vehicles but that day in the high hills was a ripper.

Seems that the biggest hurdle is the relentlessness of the task ahead. Should be fun and expecting somewhere around 15 days for Bililuna to Wiluna.

Phil
FollowupID: 800641

Reply By: Mark T6 - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 15:48

Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 15:48
Well said DingoBlue!!

I have done a few of those myself, and you are right to each their own and everyone will say one track is harder (or easier).

Preperation for the CSR is paramount....our group (4 mates and our wives) started planning 15 months out.....I cannot tell you how much time and effort we put in.

We were VERY well prepared, even spare Shockies (not used)....it's a real juggling act though weight V taking enough of everything "just in case".

Our motto was prepare/check/prepare/check and check even more (before we left). We had two Sat Phones (in case one was broken or didn't work), enough food to last an extra week (mainly dry stuff but we would not have starved) and more than enough fuel to get to Kunawarratji.

It's an iconic track, and one every keen 4WDer should do BUT don't forget the scenary and the history....the CSR is MUCH MUCH MUCH more than just anopther 4WD trek!!
AnswerID: 520194

Follow Up By: Phil B (WA) - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 16:32

Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 16:32
Well said Mark T6,

Prepare, check, cross check, read up on conditions and so on. Your signing off line is well said:

"It's an iconic track, and one every keen 4WDer should do BUT don't forget the scenary and the history....the CSR is MUCH MUCH MUCH more than just another 4WD trek!!"

With regard to the History of the CSR - for next travelling season there will be a new book out, it will be over 700 pages and 300 photos. I have been working on it for years and its at the printing now.
Hopefully I don't upset moderators and clash with the the self promotion rule in saying this here.

cheers

cheers

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 800620

Sponsored Links