What bedding you you have in your swag?

Submitted: Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 00:18
ThreadID: 104768 Views:18768 Replies:12 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Greetings all, just wondering what bedding you have in your swag? Be it simply a pillow and sleeping bag, or sheets, pillow, blankets and a doona?
Looking to revise the bedding in my traditional style swag, nothing worse than waking up at 3am cold and tangled up in your sleeping bag...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 00:52

Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 00:52
Fitted sheet, top sheet, doona & pillows with2 cases (when dirty tstake one off, second one is there). Also rollup with hut booties & thermals inside.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 519888

Reply By: philw - Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 06:38

Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 06:38
I have a good sleeping bag,a pillow and have replaced the foam mattress with a S.I.M.
AnswerID: 519889

Follow Up By: War Machine - Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 16:11

Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 16:11
What is this "S.I.M" you speak of?
FollowupID: 800236

Follow Up By: Phil B (WA) - Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 18:58

Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 18:58
Self Inflating mattress, I use one too
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 800257

Reply By: Member - John - Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 06:43

Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 06:43
Fitted bottom sheet, top sheet and doona, there is a blanket sewn into the top flap of the swag, covers all situations.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 519890

Reply By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 07:09

Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 07:09
Gday
I found that a nice warm woman is the best thing in a swag at 3 am.

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 519891

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 09:28

Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 09:28
Hey Muzbry

It has been suggested by some of the blokes on my tours that you should be able to roll the missus up in your swag and tie it on the roof rack - and late at night when you need her you just roll her out - then in the morning when you don't need her anymore just roll her up again and tie the swag back up on the roof rack ! I can see some benefits to this - you can have fun with your mates all day and not have to listen to the whingeing and you can have fun all night too !

Cheers

Gazz
FollowupID: 800207

Follow Up By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 11:13

Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 11:13
Dead rite Gazz

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 800217

Follow Up By: Member - VickiW - Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 19:28

Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 19:28
Gazz,

you obviously either don't have anything to do with women or are hiding your correspondence from she whom is in charge.

As for my swag - a good sleeping bag, a pillow and for warmer weather a sheet. have used a nice woollen blanket only in the worst cold I've had here in a swag (- about 8) - which by coincidence lead to me finding a nice warm male alternative much more effective than any blanket ;)

Haven't ever needed an alternative sleeping mat but I do have a very good sleeping bag.
FollowupID: 800263

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 20:16

Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 20:16
Hi Vicki

No need for me to hide anything as I am one of the few lucky men left in this country that still wears the pants at home and has a vocabulary consisting of more than "Yes Dear"

Now before you start jumping up and down with female rage - I own and run a 4wd tour company and a construction company and I can honestly and sincerely tell you that my best staff have ALWAYS been female and those same female staff will tell you that I have ALWAYS treated them equally and with great respect ! My lovely partner will second that in an instant !

I'm sure you are smart enough to know that my above comments were made in jest.

Look forward to bumping into you somewhere in this big brown land and having chat

Happy and safe travels

Gazz

FollowupID: 800272

Follow Up By: Member - VickiW - Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 20:38

Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 20:38
Gazz,

I wouldn't have replied if I'd read your post as "serious".
As for still wearing the pants at home, I sincerely hope that is a shared responsibility. And that your lovely partner feels the same way. Anything less is just so boring.

:)

FollowupID: 800274

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 21:00

Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 21:00
Vicki

Two people wearing the pants in the same household doesn't always work - it can create more bad than good - sometimes, and more often than not, it's beneficial to have one pair a bit stronger than the other !

Every household is different - some have alpha males and some have alpha females - we do what works best !

All the best

Gazz

FollowupID: 800276

Reply By: Member - Outback Gazz - Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 07:10

Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 07:10
G'day W M

50 mm dense mattress on bottom - 50 mm soft mattress on top of that - fully opened sleeping bag for a sheet which can be zipped back up if it gets really cold but I have never had to do that and have slept in the snow a few times. Sleeping bag also doubles as an underblanket. Single bed top of the range woollen doona and 2 pillows. Hate getting in sleeping bags as they are too confined.

Also in my swag I have - beanie, as 90 % of body heat is lost through the head, small Princeton-tec torch for the compulsory 3 o'clock leak - pocket knife ( mates zip tied my swag zippers together one night when I had 15 too many beers and went to bed early ) spare pair of jox - 1/4 roll toilet paper in a glad bag - toothbrush - panadol - quick eze - 500 ml bottle of water and 2 condoms in case I get lucky. I can just throw my swag in the ute and know I can go at least a week without too much trouble.

Cheers

Gazz

AnswerID: 519892

Follow Up By: rocco2010 - Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 11:11

Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 11:11
Like the reference to the three o'clock leak. I reckon a few nights on the CSR at minus 3 a few years ago strengthened my resolve ..There was no way I was getting out of the swag. i now hardly ever need to get up in the night!
FollowupID: 800216

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 07:20

Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 07:20
Don't need anything more in ours than an opened out sleeping bag as a doona and a pillow for the head. We climb into the swags with the canvas top folded back unless really cold and more often than not, just use the swags as a mattress inside our tent.
But can erect the hoops and use the same makeup of sleeping bag, opened out and the pillow with the fly screen and canvas cover over the top of us.
We have covers for the HD foam mattress and don't need or desire the hassle of fitted sheets, etc. Works well for us and we simply remove the pillow and roll the rest up as a whole unit when packing up.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 519893

Reply By: olcoolone - Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 09:12

Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 09:12
We have Burke and Wills swags that have a Thermatest mattress, we use Coleman Pilbara zero rating sleeping bags and we have two Onkaparinga full wool double bed blankets per swag.......

The biggest improvement is the quality of mattress you choose, with the sleeping bags we went with the Colemans due to they are a non tapered bag and are extra wide. The advantage of using full wool blankets is they are very warm but seem to regulate body temps better with the added advantage of not smelling if used over a long period of time.

Our swags are used on camp stretchers, placing them on camp stretchers have improved sleeping quality 10 fold as compared to the ground.
AnswerID: 519900

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 11:56

Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 11:56
I've only ever had a tarp, with blankets and a pillow. Once I got married, had to have a mattress, and flannelette sheets, she said!

Still have a couple of the blankets that I had in the original swag, and they're a bit like mosquito nets now. Do have 2 RM Williams Bush Rugs, which were made by Onkaparinga, and they are magic, and warm too. Usually cart a mozzie net too.

Couple of things I've had in the swag that weren't much use were 2 large centipedes, a Bandi bandi and another very upset snake.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 519911

Reply By: Member - Cruiser74 - Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 16:19

Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 16:19
Hi mate,

We've got a double swag. I bought two of those thin roll up foam mattresses and put them under the original mattress. Fitted sheet on top with a soft thick blanket and flat sheet to climb into. Usually wear a beanie in there when it's colder. Also, a couple of small pillows. We've camped in some below freezing conditions and it's always been very comfortable.

Cheers
AnswerID: 519926

Reply By: Member - Odog - Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 19:17

Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 19:17
Only just ordered a swag, but use to go with a mate fishing up at jindabyne, had a minus 8 extra large sleeping bag on a camp stretcher. Soon as the sun would hit the horizon, everything would freeze, have to keep the beers in the esky so they didn't burst. Best time of year up there was winter, cold clear nights, and beautifull days. The trick was, the good old news paper, under the sleeping bag... And between the two pairs of socks.. Great times. Cheers
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 519935

Reply By: River Swaggie - Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 21:01

Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 21:01
Have a couple of swags, double and single, the double is a Burke and Wills Redgum,, still has the original foam with a Dunlop eggcup 25mm topping with a fitted sheet, gave up on sleeping bags years ago, to restrictive so just use doonas in both, Easy to push out the way when you get to hot and easy to grab and put over yourself when cold.

Slept on rocky ground with this combo no probs at all.

Goodluck with your choice.
AnswerID: 519941

Reply By: Member - nick b - Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 22:10

Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 22:10
now i'm getting older i need some extra padding ,tent type swag standard mattress egg shell/cup mattress , lamb wool cover over that & fitted sheet over ....cant beat it .
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 519947

Sponsored Links