August 2004 Trip

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 15:41
ThreadID: 10477 Views:1749 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
We're planning our 2004 trip and need some advice. The trip: Leave Brisbane mid August, Innamincka Races, Birdsville Races, Camoweal, Normanton, the Gulf, Katherine, Halls Creek, Canning Stock Route, Meekatharra, Carnarvon, South then East along the WA coast to Point Culver, up the hill to Caiguna then home to Brisbane.
My questions:
1.We want to travel from Bedourie to Camooweal West of the higway through Sandringham, Carlo, Glenormiston, Roxborough Downs, Urandangi, Barkley Downs etc. Does anyone have any information on this route?

2.Does anyone have any information on the Buntine Hwy. from Katherine to Halls Creek?

3.Does anyone have any information or recommendations on the tracks from Meekatharra to the coast?

We would really appreciate your knowledge, recommendations and warnings.
Thanks,

Mal T.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 10:39

Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 10:39
Ditzy said to tell you to make sure you but a vehicle that automatically shuts the back door so you don't lose your luggage like last time.
AnswerID: 46579

Follow Up By: Member - Mal (Brisbane) - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 13:14

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 13:14
Thanks Ruth, very thoughtful of you.
Did you get those photos yet?

Mal T.
FollowupID: 309009

Reply By: Rob - Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 13:21

Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 13:21
G'day Mal, 2 years ago we did the trip from Meekathara to Carnarvon via Gascoyne Junction. The road, or in some places it was a track, was quite good. I remember that there were many, many cattle grids. This road is through cattle properties and sometimes you would pass quite closely to a homestead. In fact on a couple of occasions you will drive almost through the front yards of the houses.
We were towing a Jayco camper and only got one puncture. The only fuel between Meekathara and Carnarvon is at Gascoyn Junction, they also do tyre repairs. I remember during the entire 600km trip we only passed one vehicle going the other way, and that was between Gascoyne junction and Carnarvon. I think it is a rarely used road. There are several turnoff's that lead to mines, not sure if they are working or not. Hope this helps.

Robbo
AnswerID: 46677

Follow Up By: Member - Mal (Brisbane) - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 13:15

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 13:15
Robbo,
Thanks very much for the info.

Mal T.
FollowupID: 309010

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 17:24

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 17:24
Dear Mal, I was so busy looking at the photos and remonstrating with those other naughty boys last night that I forgot to get on here and say I was sorry for telling everyone about your last adventure because you had been nice to me and sent the photos. (I could get a job in the public service with that sentence).
They came on the mail plane last night with the Country Life (thank goodness, a fresh newspaper to read) - wow they are terrific. Having trouble with one - think the date is 1958 am I right? Gotta find a magnifying glass for Ian. That year Brookie was away getting married and missed the flood so he will be interested in these also. Nice day here - only 49. Got to 34 last night. Walk outside and it frizzles you. Poor dogs are suffering - inside my house lying on the lounge floor. Ring and give me more information please?
AnswerID: 47078

Sponsored Links