Has anyone used Slime?

Submitted: Friday, Oct 25, 2013 at 18:46
ThreadID: 104864 Views:2239 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all i was at Supa cheap auto today and noticed a bottle of Slime.On the label it said something like that it protects against punctures and repairs them when they happen.The guy at Supa Cheap reckons the stuff is great and better than carrying a can of zush for an emergency.Has anyone tried it ,how did they find it and does it work?I realize if you whole a side wall it wont work.In saying that if it fixes nail wholes,stick wholes etc it may be worth while.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Bantam - Friday, Oct 25, 2013 at 19:16

Friday, Oct 25, 2013 at 19:16
This sort of stuff like most gimmicks, pops its head back up about every few years, when there is a new crop of suckers who have not heard what a crock it is
The original was a french product.

Its a bad idea.
It can clog up valve stems to the point where you can neither inflate nor deflate the tyre.
It is always some sort of solvent bassed glue, sooner or later it will turn into a glob and cause unfixable wheel balance problems.
Because it is usually some sort of solvent bassed rubber cement, it causes rubber, especially tubes to degrade and perrish
Then there is the issue of what happens when you go to a tyre shop with a wheel and tubeless tyre slathered is a sticky gooey mess...how much extra do ya recon they will charge you to do an already dirty job that just got and hell of a lot worse....if they will even touch the job.

AND its not a permanent, reliable nor approved method of repairing a puncture.

I tried some of this stuff way back in the late seventies......the whole concept is a bad idea.

cheers
AnswerID: 520344

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Saturday, Oct 26, 2013 at 08:23

Saturday, Oct 26, 2013 at 08:23
I used it in a backhoe tyre and it is still up and running . It did take 1 1/2 bottles but saved me a 45 klm walk back to the homestead.
FollowupID: 800809

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Saturday, Oct 26, 2013 at 11:07

Saturday, Oct 26, 2013 at 11:07
Technology may have changed a bit in the last 40 years?
FollowupID: 800812

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Saturday, Oct 26, 2013 at 18:51

Saturday, Oct 26, 2013 at 18:51
Can't be too bad as many car manufactures are providing it instead of a spare wheel and it seems to work. Slime would be one of the better ones that work.

Is it needed if you have a spare........No
FollowupID: 800829

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Friday, Oct 25, 2013 at 20:07

Friday, Oct 25, 2013 at 20:07
The only decent use for the stuff is for the kids pushbikes and maybe the ride on lawn mower.

I would never use it on my vehicles tyres as it makes an absolute mess when you need to change tyres. Definately for use for tubes only.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 520347

Reply By: Peter T9 - Friday, Oct 25, 2013 at 21:08

Friday, Oct 25, 2013 at 21:08
Have found some of these products can cause corrosion of tubeless steel rims ie quad bikes therefore would be very hesitant to use it as a puncture preventative.

I would only ever use it in pushbikes motorbikes etc or in an emergency for a full sized passenger vehicle tubed tyre.

You would be better off carrying plugs for tubeless tyres.

AnswerID: 520351

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Friday, Oct 25, 2013 at 21:59

Friday, Oct 25, 2013 at 21:59
It may be troublesome/unsafe in the longer term with cars ....and big tyres would need a lot of slime in them.. but it is widely used in all forms of serious cycling....there are a variety of slime types for both tubed and tubeless bike tyres...and the stuff is magical in its ability to seal small holes....one version is a milky latex compound that doesnt corrode rims !
AnswerID: 520352

Reply By: Neil & Pauline - Friday, Oct 25, 2013 at 23:05

Friday, Oct 25, 2013 at 23:05
Did once on a 4 wheel motor bike as the guy directed. Total waste of time. It stopped the air from rushing out a hole, just took a day to go down instead of an hour. Wasn't in long enough to do much damage to the rim, just repainted.

Neil
AnswerID: 520356

Reply By: get outmore - Saturday, Oct 26, 2013 at 12:59

Saturday, Oct 26, 2013 at 12:59
Brillant for bike tyres . I went from fixing punctures 2or3 times a week due to 3 corner jacks around kalgoorlie. To no flats for 12months
Wouldnt use it in my car though
AnswerID: 520369

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Oct 26, 2013 at 15:48

Saturday, Oct 26, 2013 at 15:48
Also used it in bike tyres a few times, on bikes that were used for mustering. Often got a lot of punctures due to dried stalks of Mitchell grass, as well as odd thorn or two.

Slime worked well, reducing puncture periods out to 3 months or more, but once the tyre went flat, it was a case of chuck the tube(it looked like a colander by this time) and fit a new tube.

Suggestion above about using it only in lawn mowers, wheel barrows and the like, seems to be the best application for it. If you're running tubeless tyres, you can't beat those "string" repair kits....don't even have to remove the wheel!

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 800822

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)