What is the best tablet ( I-pad, Galaxy etc ) to use when travelling .

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 27, 2013 at 16:48
ThreadID: 104884 Views:5568 Replies:19 FollowUps:33
This Thread has been Archived
My laptop plan is almost up for renewal so I am thinking of changing to a tablet, I want to be able to use it as a GPS while in the outback.
Also want to use it for email.
Does anybody use one of the Telstra Wi Fi units that you can run up to 5 devices at the one time, and are they any good on the pre paid plan?
Being a retiree, I want to keep my costs down.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks Hugh
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rich - Sunday, Oct 27, 2013 at 17:38

Sunday, Oct 27, 2013 at 17:38
Hi,
I use an IPAD like you mention..
I find it very good.

I have a mount for it in the car from Clicon (do a search in google). No screws or suction caps required.

I run both COPILOT and HEMA MAP app on the IPAD, often at the same time, so I can get voice directions while watching the hema maps. Works well.

I also have a 4G telstra unit like what you mentioned and it is very good. Very rarely do you get 4G unless in the cities but works OK. I have a prepaid plan and unless you do heavy internet stuff there $30 plan is adequate. But don't use YOUTUBE on it else will chew up your data allowance.

Alternatively to the WIFI unit you can use your phone (if you have an IPHONE, I think other smartphones have same feature).

the IPHOne has a feature where you can make it a "HOTSPOT". When this feature is turned on it is possible to connect your IPAD to it for internet access. I used it a lot recently and it worked well. This way you are not having to pay any extra for the device.

Just be careful, if you are on a phone plan, make sure you do not exceed your data allowance as it will cost a bundle. I have a prepaid phone so not as big a deal.

The HOTSPOT is password protected.

You could always buy a prepaid account for your IPAD as well.

I am sure you have heard this before but the gPS option is not available in all IPADS (unless this has changed in the newer ones). To get native GPS you need to get an IPAD which has 3G and WIFI instead of just WIFI.

NOTE: you do not have to have a sim card installed to use the GPS in the IPAD (i.e. the 3G + WIFI version) - it does not use the phone network.

Hope all that makes sense.

Summary - IPAD is very good.

Richard
AnswerID: 520450

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Oct 27, 2013 at 18:01

Sunday, Oct 27, 2013 at 18:01
I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab because you can run OziExplorer on it, unlike the iPad. (at present)
If using it for the outback, you will need OziExplorer or similar and suitable maps, such as the Hema digital map range.

After recently updating my iPhone to IOS7 (operating system version) I am not fond of Apple products anymore. The new version is crap compared to the previous one.
Once you upgrade, you cannot go back to the previous version.

Won't buy any more iCrap stuff.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 520453

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Sunday, Oct 27, 2013 at 18:13

Sunday, Oct 27, 2013 at 18:13
I hated the new IOS 7 at firts but after using it for a while I have found it better than the older operating system, the new system brings it into line with the Android operating system but with less gimmicks.

People hate change but in most cases find it better over time and if going back to an older version it seems so outdated.

What don't you like about IOS7?
FollowupID: 800911

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Oct 27, 2013 at 19:51

Sunday, Oct 27, 2013 at 19:51
I'm sure Apple will eventually get their act together, but based on the scathing reports on the internet, I'm not alone in my view.

As far as IOS 7.0 is concerned, the font used is thinner and harder to read in some light conditions.
Battery life has deteriorated.
Apple have already issued an update (IOS 7.0.3) to overcome bugs in the new release, only two weeks after it was first released.

The new system on the iPhone is to enable the same system to be used on the iPad so they can introduce more gimmicks than their competitors.

Nothing in the new version encourages us to update my wife's iPhone at this stage.

I have a Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 which I originally purchased before traveling overseas last year and used mainly for internet banking.
The ability to run OziExplorer was a bonus that helped me choose the Samsung over the iPad which was also more expensive to purchase.

My wife trialled an iPad before choosing a Samsung Galaxy 3 8.0 when in Singapore this year.
I actually like the size of the 8.0 more than the 10.1 but SWMBO won't part with hers.

The Android OS as used on the Galaxy Tablets and mobile phones is more compatible with other apps and other software, including Microsoft products.
The Apple IOS is still proprietary to their own empire.

Bill

FollowupID: 800918

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Sunday, Oct 27, 2013 at 23:04

Sunday, Oct 27, 2013 at 23:04
There is always going to be a Toyota vs Nissan...... Waeco vs Engle battle and I suppose tablets and smartphones are no different.

Regarding gimmicks; a lot of people have gone away from Samsung due to the junk they put on their phones and more are turning to the new Google MotoX phone as they say they are a more real back to basics android phone.

As for updates, they all put out versions that are updated again in the first few weeks of release...... Jellybean has been no different.

These days most software development companies offer android and ipad versions of their programs, even Microsoft; that is a bit of a shock seeing how much they hate Apple. But more and more is going cloud based.

The advantage of android over apple is android uses an open source code for software and app development whereby apple protects their code and there are a few things apple will not make open source.

We had to buy an android phone recently to run one app on it for work all because apple would not let them have open source code.

If we didn't all have different needs and views there would only be one manufacturer of a given product and we would still bitch and carry on.

It will be interesting now Microsoft are pushing their Windows based tablets and you have the choice of three operation systems.
FollowupID: 800940

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 09:13

Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 09:13
Samsung paid bloggers to attack HTC
You can't believe everything you read. From the Australian today. If Samsung are prepared to attack lowly HTC, what would they do to a more substantial rival.

Samsung have also been caught out fudging performance statistics.

So the outrageous diatribe against Apple from the likes of Sandman above need to be taken with a grain of salt - a very large one.

Bob
FollowupID: 800956

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 09:47

Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 09:47
Unfortunately you can't always believe what is published and it goes both ways...... bloggers even that some say they are independent sometimes aren't.

Statistics can be altered or criteria change to suit ones view.

FollowupID: 800959

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 10:40

Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 10:40
So Bob,

What are you accusing me of?

My comments on the Tablet solution the original poster asked about is based on my own experience to help him come to his own decision for an off road application. The Oziexplorer app is a proven product and currently won't run on an iPad. There are possible alternative solutions, but I don't know of them and therefore won't comment on them, or recommend them as I haven't tried any.

My comment on the iPhone I have is again based on my own experience and simply states I am unlikely to choose an Apple product in the future.
Was I being "outrageous"? I don't think so.

So you can launch a personal attack on me Bobbie, but I think people will judge for themselves, what they buy and why they buy it.

Bill

FollowupID: 800964

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 11:01

Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 11:01
Sandman

"Won't buy any more iCrap stuff."

Good reasoned comment, Bill. And I'm sure a great deal of help the guy asking for advice.

BTW, did you know that the font in iOS is adjustable? (settings, general, accessibility) No, you were just regurgitating some misinformation you read somewhere.

Bob
FollowupID: 800965

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 14:12

Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 14:12
Hi again Bob,

You should really back off your aggressive nature, your "bedside manner" is deplorable.

Yes, I am aware of the adjustable settings in the iphone.
Having spent 34 years in the IT industry, working for a multi-national Company, I do have a basic understanding of these things.

As far as IOS7.x is concerned, IMHO the release was premature.
The display comes across as somewhat "childlike" in both the chosen font and graphical appearance of some screens.

I had no complaints with IOS6.x.
It is only with the release of IOS7 where things have gone pair shaped.
What has put many folk's backs up is the dogmatic attitude of Apple Inc. whereby they will not allow the downgrading to a prior version, until such time as the current version is tuned and loses it's "loony tunes" like appearance.

That of course is my take on things and I appreciate others may have different views.

Bill

FollowupID: 800971

Reply By: olcoolone - Sunday, Oct 27, 2013 at 18:09

Sunday, Oct 27, 2013 at 18:09
You can't go past the Ipad, there are reasons why it's the biggest selling tablet on the market........ it does everything in a simple way and it performs very well.

Apple have always been known for their human interfaces and how their computers function, one main reason why so many use them.

We still run windows based systems at work but we use Iphones for our mobiles and shortly Ipads for on site work.

The only Ipad with inbuilt GPS is the 4g version.

In another week the new Ipad Air goes on sale in Australia.

http://www.apple.com/ipad-air/specs/
AnswerID: 520455

Follow Up By: Andrew D. - Sunday, Oct 27, 2013 at 18:41

Sunday, Oct 27, 2013 at 18:41
Get your facts correct. Android tablets and phones are well outselling the fruit company rip off restrictive slave labour products.
Only those with too much money or swank value buy a fruit company product. Fruit company is like the Gestapo.
Android interface better, easier to use and runs better programs for travellers.
Hell you can buy two Samsung Galaxy Tab3 for the price of one ripoff slave labour fruit company sick tablet.
FollowupID: 800915

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Sunday, Oct 27, 2013 at 21:40

Sunday, Oct 27, 2013 at 21:40
Facts....... I'm not talking about how many android tablets got sold in the last quarter, I'm talking how many people use Ipads compared with android.

Maybe if you got of your stupid immature high horse and stopped dribbling crap and put some sensible constructive views forward I might have more time for you!

BTW do a google search on "samsung slave labour" and you will find all manufactures overseas use cheap labour.

Trying to compare android against ipad is like comparing 28 vehicle manufactures against Ford........ every man and his dog makes an android phone or tablet.

Hell I love being rich and yes I often think of you poor plebs not being able to afford the taste or have the usable brain cells I and many like me have.

And you can by two Great Walls for the price of one Nissan Patrol...... doesn't mean the Great Walls are any good.
FollowupID: 800927

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Sunday, Oct 27, 2013 at 22:04

Sunday, Oct 27, 2013 at 22:04
Andrew fair enough that you don't like Apple products, your choice but does it really warrant an aggressive response like that?
If you are happy to operate within the "Apple world" they are extremely easy products to use hence there popularity
I use both operating systems and they both have there strong points
FollowupID: 800933

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 06:04

Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 06:04
While there is no doubt that the Ipad is still the leader in sales, their sales are now declining at about 14% a year. And the majority of buyers are return buyers from previous tablets.

Samsung's tablet sales are growing at 277% a year, with Asus, Lenovo and Acer all recording annual growth rates of 120 - 300% per annum. They are expected to overtake apple's sales by about the March Quarter. So you can easily make the argument that the Ipad hey days are ending. I'm a share holder of Apple and get quite a bit of sales research. ( I bought the shares a while ago because they are a great marketing company with fantastic margins.)

There are lots of threads on the which tablet for navigating, but it really is senseless paying near $900 to get a tablet that has less real features for the traveller who also wants to look at the internet, their pictures, movies and GPS maps than an Android $300 - 400 device can which can do it more easily if you dan't also carry a PC.

IN MY OPINION of course. LOL

FollowupID: 800945

Reply By: rocco2010 - Sunday, Oct 27, 2013 at 18:14

Sunday, Oct 27, 2013 at 18:14
Gidday

Two replies, one loves apple, one hates it ... Par for the course I suppose. If I was a betting man I would be on android to win!

I travel with a ipad with 3G and wifi and as mobile computer for internet and email etc I and find it an excellent device. I usually buy a data pack when I go away but if cogs is an issue there are plenty of hotspots about.

I have not gone down the navigation road with it yet part from when I have been on foot and lost in Sydney as I have some reservations about mounting a 10 inch device On the dash. I know plenty do, but it just seems a bit big for me on very rough tracks. The ipad mini might be the go if you decide on Apple products and as plenty will tell you there are dozens of choices if you go the android route.

Cheers

AnswerID: 520456

Reply By: Andrew D. - Sunday, Oct 27, 2013 at 18:20

Sunday, Oct 27, 2013 at 18:20
Firstly not stupid enough to pay 2x the price for a Gestapo tablet that cannot load things on I want or all the other restrictions Apple enforce on users.
Galaxy Tab3 with Telstra 4G Wifi or Bigpond Wifi modem with external aerial plug is great.

OziExplorer works on Android and so does Hema. So many better apps on Android for travelling and camping.
AnswerID: 520458

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 09:20

Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 09:20
Andrew, are you being paid?

What a lot of bollocks about restrictions enforced on users by Apple.

Do you own an iOS device? No, I thought not.

How much do you get paid?

Bob
FollowupID: 800957

Reply By: Skulldug - Sunday, Oct 27, 2013 at 18:44

Sunday, Oct 27, 2013 at 18:44
BC,

I use an iPad running Hema maps and Wikicamps. Apple stuff just works better, faster and it's shiny - made of metal and best of all, others hate you if you own one :)

Cheers

Skull
AnswerID: 520463

Follow Up By: rocco2010 - Sunday, Oct 27, 2013 at 18:53

Sunday, Oct 27, 2013 at 18:53
I know the feeling ...
the passion aroused by the mere mention of apple products never ceases to amaze me.

Cheers
FollowupID: 800916

Reply By: mikehzz - Sunday, Oct 27, 2013 at 19:33

Sunday, Oct 27, 2013 at 19:33
I've owned both and you can't really lose whatever you choose......except, DON'T buy a cheap knock off Android tablet. Buy a reputable brand name if you choose Android. Cheers.
AnswerID: 520467

Follow Up By: Quickboats - Monday, Nov 04, 2013 at 14:36

Monday, Nov 04, 2013 at 14:36
Agreed. Apple is a good choice too, however, a lot of apps are easily downloadable and free for Android as compared to Apple. If you choose Android, better choose a brand name and unit with good reviews.
FollowupID: 801392

Reply By: Rangiephil - Sunday, Oct 27, 2013 at 19:52

Sunday, Oct 27, 2013 at 19:52
I have a cheap android Aldi tablet and relied on hotel wifi on a recent trip overseas to South America.
What a disaster.
First Optus changed their webmail page , and you couldn't see the inbox on the Aldi tablet, and from forums this is common to Android tablets. After I came home I found that the problem was with the google browser not rendering and was fixed by installing Firefox. I believe this is still a problem. Also the Optus webmail only allows you to do many things like remembering email addresses in the windows version not the mobile version.
I recently used the tablet again on a trip in OZ using a Telstra 3G wireless mobile modem and it was quite good.
BUT Andorid drives me mad. It is very hard to transport your email contacts over to an android device . I understand you have to convert them to Vcard format, which can be done on your laptop, but I still do not know whether the contacts will be picked up by the email program .
I have given up on Android I am afraid , and not having the money for an Ipad, I intend to take my wife's 13 inch laptop running windows 7..

IMHO, unless you intend to spend lots of money on an Ipad and then lots more on mapping software, you are probably better off with a windows device if that is what you are familiar with.
Have a look at the new Windows "surface" as it has office on it and runs windows and currently is $392 or lower with a contact keyboard. Microsoft will not allow you to run Firefox apparently but I have no problem with Internet Explorer.
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 520469

Follow Up By: Member - Grundle (WA) - Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 18:24

Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 18:24
Hi Rangiephil,I am thinking of getting a lap top and run Firefox on my home pc and wanted to do the same on the laptop.we run windows 7.Iknow nothing about these things,a mate did it for me.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 800989

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Oct 27, 2013 at 19:52

Sunday, Oct 27, 2013 at 19:52
I wouldn't know what's the best, BC, but I'm not about to have a coronary bagging one or the other!!!

Was given a 3g/Wi-Fi iPad last December, and initially it was only a glorified notebook & movie storage device. Few months back got a sim card, $30/month, and have since upgraded that to $180/12 months($15/month) Have got an email account, surf the 'net and today made my first Facetime call to one of the kids.

On top of this have the Hema app, as well as a few others, ABC, Channel 7, Pages etc etc.

Takes quite amazing photos considering the size of the lens, and you can email them before you get home to the "big computer". I'm only home 2 nights/week, so the iPad is a great way to keep in touch with family & friends, as well as a valuable stoage device for diary entries, reminders, alarm, and a video player(have 10 movies on mine)

If you did get an iPad, get the 3/4g/wifi/gps model, with 128gig. I'd do a fair bit of research, as to which suits you......seems some people are really passionate about the subject:-))))

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 520470

Reply By: Pete G - Sunday, Oct 27, 2013 at 21:12

Sunday, Oct 27, 2013 at 21:12
I am not going near the IPad/Android issue - certainly some passion there.

As a Third option I suggest looking at the tablets which have full Windows 8 (now 8.1) functionality (Not Windows RT).
I am not running any mapping programs and have no experience on these yet.

In May'13 we lprocured a Dell Latitude 10 (Atom Processor Dual 1.6gHz 64 Gb) and an I5 Samsung both with Office Software after having gone to buy an Android Tablet.
Technology changes so fast that my facts may possibly be out of date in the 6 months since.
The Dell Latitude was $630 - seeing similar other makes for $450 now and the Samsung XE700 with I5 processor 128 Gb was $1200 similar now about $1000.

We use the Telstra 4G WIFI modems on the Liberty Plan (speed slows once limit is reached but no charge for over-run). We have never achieved 4G (Chatswood, Brisbane Mater) as 4G is still city centric. That said they do work at 3G where there is mobile coverage and do appear to work faster than previous 3G models we have used.

IMHE the big T coverage is the broadest in general I have found (yes we have tried others) and the extended family have all gone to the the big T.

Reasons for going this way were:
- Full Windows functionality as a full computer on both the Dell and Samsung
- Able to watch movies (and get TV with a receiver)
- The Dell works very well for books, browsing and emails. Beauty is that you can read in bed with both the Dell and the Samsung Tablets.
- It was suggested to us at the time that PDF's were a problem in the apple system and in fact a large training venue in town was snapping up the Dells to view their large training and service manuals typically in PDF format. Daughter who has had IPad for 18 months confirms same re PDF's.
- The Dell and Samsung can be connected to external drives.

I would not suggest pushing the Dell Latitude too hard on serious Office use and it was only bought for Browsing and Emails which it handles with aplomb.

The Samsung with I5 is a full on mid range computer albeit with a small Hard Drive. This works fine with add-on external drives. It has detachable Keyboard as well as the onscreen keyboard.

The key to all of this is connectivity and of course the ultimate is a Satphone as the Hotspot if the budget will go that far.

Another thing to ponder is that the Android phones (Samsung Galaxy and HTC) we have are able to connect to satellite for their GPS although this is provided through Google Maps. Perhaps someone on this forum with more knowledge than I could elaborate further on this point.

Technology is such a great thing, although for me a paper map and coordinates is more my cup of tea.

Good luck in your search.

Regards

Pete G

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 520479

Reply By: get outmore - Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 04:20

Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 04:20
end of the day only one system has the most ready to use maps stright off the shelf including this site, only one system has all these maps compatible with windows, windows ce and android, only one system can you catch up for map swaps compatible with all platforms

its ozi

and it can only be had on windows , windows ce and android

apple will do a bit ,but not all that its desighnrd for teenagers wearing nike sheoes and hats on backwards

.... they have no use for 4wd navigation
AnswerID: 520486

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 06:21

Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 06:21
Ozi is a complex and complicated program compared to the App based Hema, Mud Maps etc which are extremely user friendly.
I have dropped my Ozi after using it for a number of years for the later types
FollowupID: 800946

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 09:34

Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 09:34
GOM,

I just loaded the whole Hema Map set onto an iPad last night. Couldn't have been simpler. Used an app called Bit Map (either free or 99 cents). Also loaded the NSW and VIC topo maps. There are several other navigational apps that I frequently use: Hema, Mud Map, Memory Map, Oz Runways, Two Nav, Air Nav VFR.

No I don't have OziExplorer, but find I can live without it.

Are you being paid to denigrate Apple at every opportunity as you seem to do, or are just a very insecure person who needs to validate your personal choices by putting down others?

Bob
FollowupID: 800958

Follow Up By: get outmore - Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 15:35

Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 15:35
Unsure whats complicated about ozi?
I just push the app button and it works.
Glad your happy with the hema maps.
I do have the full set but rarely use them
The maps I do use most arnt avsilable for download and would need conversion if it could even be done to work on an ipad.
Also while its frowned and tutt tutted fact is it happens. Ozi explorer maps are also able to be freely dustributed
Now let he who has no electronic mudic. Tv or movies they didnt pay for
Tell me how wrong it is
FollowupID: 800974

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 16:07

Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 16:07
GOM
I have found trip planning and setting up waypoints etc a lot easier in these newer programs than Ozi,
You would not be able to use your existing maps on the Hema app but there are a number of other apps that will allow you to convert your existing files and use them.

I have a large library of maps from my Ozi program and considered doing the this but in the end was happy to pay the $100 odd dollars for the Hema app and all of their maps as I knew it would just work without having to deal with bugs etc. Simple is best for me.
FollowupID: 800977

Follow Up By: HarryH - Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 17:58

Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 17:58
I use have the ipad and use the Hema app and it works great for my needs. I've used ozi in the past and find it clunky as all get out. I have no opinion on other tablets other than to say i wouldn't buy an ebay no name thing. I'm sorry but to say the ipad is for teenagers wearing nike shoes and hats on backwards and they have no use for 4wd navigation is just complete and utter nonsense, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about- give yourself a well deserved uppercut.
FollowupID: 800987

Follow Up By: get outmore - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 05:14

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 05:14
glad you find hema adequate

i do have all the latest hema maps (no no need to pay for them with ozi)

and before you arc up i wouldnt pay for them

I rarely iff ever use them they have no where near the detail of other maps i use - ones that are not available through other sources

thats my piont .

and no i have no issues using ozi i just turn it on and away it goes

it rarely if ever selects hema maps as i have it set to most detailed
FollowupID: 801015

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 08:37

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 08:37
We use a range of digital maps when travelling including Hema, there is not one map set thats the best, it's a combination of maps that work.

We have nearly 50gig of maps on our laptop and as a general map they are very good with up to date information on most areas.

Most other maps are so outdated it's not funny.

As for Ozi...... it is a complicated piece of software with many functions the average traveller would not use or know about, we only use maybe 6 functions when travelling and that depends on the are we are travelling in.

We also use satellite imagery , satellite imagery shows one thing maps don't..... the layout of the land and what you are up against, great for in the deserts.
FollowupID: 801025

Follow Up By: get outmore - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 02:33

Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 02:33
ok so with 50gig of maps you could easily fit them into the base model samsung with 64 gig sd card

you would have to spend many 00s of $$more to do the same with an apple product because theres no SD card
FollowupID: 801089

Follow Up By: HarryH - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 10:21

Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 10:21
50 gig of maps? bloody hell! you got maps for the entire galaxy?. In answer to your question yes you'd have to buy the 64 or 128gig iPad which would cost more than the Samsung.
FollowupID: 801100

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 16:47

Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 16:47
When you have 500g of storage you have a tendency to put stuff on that you don't use.
FollowupID: 801123

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 17:08

Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 17:08
BTW you pay $50 for a quality Sandisk 32gigi micro SD card or you pay $100 more for another 32gig on an Ipad.

It's not like your paying another $200 to $300 for another 32gig memory on the Ipad......

I waste more money than that going out each week.
FollowupID: 801126

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Thursday, Oct 31, 2013 at 05:46

Thursday, Oct 31, 2013 at 05:46
olcoolone, there is a chain of computer shops called MSY, I think they are in every capital city. They charge $31 for the sandisk 32G class 10 and $60 for the 64G. There are quite a few discount PC shops with similar pricing.

I had a laugh when I saw an Office works brochure with the 32G on sale for $95.

FollowupID: 801148

Reply By: WBS - Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 08:00

Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 08:00
It is a matter of personal choice really, and I chose to get the one to best suit my needs, a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1.

The reasons were:
1. In built GPS on the tablet. I didn't need to get a more expensive 3G version for twice the price

2. Runs Oziexplorer for Android. A must have app for remote travel. I do not agree that Mud Mad and the Hema app are better. Less complicated to run yes, but not as flexible or versatile either. I can use all the digital maps I've collected over the years.

3. Not limited to on board storage capacity like the Ipad. Can add 32GB of Micro SD card storage.

4. I don't use it as a camera.

Bad points.

- I've gone through/destroyed 2 MicroSD cards for whatever reason- bit of a concern really.

- The camera is absolute rubbish compared to the Ipad

- The display is very good but not as good as on the Ipad

I plan to buy my wife an Ipad for Christmas. I really do like them, just like I prefer an Iphone over the crappy Android smart phones I've experienced. ( I meant "she" not "I").

WBS
AnswerID: 520490

Reply By: Stevesub1 - Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 08:47

Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 08:47
I had an iPad, gave it to the Grandkids when I bought my Android tablet. I would NEVER go back to an iPad unless it had all the functionality of a Android device. Get a good quality Android tablet, not the cheapies as they can have issues with hardware.

For maps, I use Google maps for maps and navigation but the net is needed for nagivation (you can download some maps for off line use), "Maps with Me" and "Mapfactor Navigation" (turn by turn navigation). Both of these use Open Street maps which are downloaded onto the phone (free). I have found that these 3 are all I need for what we do and are very good for international use as well without breaking the piggy bank as there are free.

Be aware that you cannot do everything with a tablet, I still need the PC from time to time.

As for the 3G/WiFi devices, love them, I have a Telstra one that is pre-pay and used when out of anywhere elses coverage and an unlokced on that currenty has no SIM card but I would use an Amaysim SIM, $100 for 10GB data, 12 months expiry on the Optus network. Telstra is too expensive so we only use them if we really need to.

No SIM right now, I just tether off my mobile when I am away from home right now as we are away for only a day or two at a time.

The unlocked device is mainly used overseas when I am working with local SIM cards.
AnswerID: 520493

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 09:54

Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 09:54
Hugh

I have a Nexus 7 and original iPad (about to upgrade to an iPad Air). I got the Nexus so I could run OziExplorer which it does. I have been able to use all my existing maps on the iPad too. One of the first Navigation apps I acquired was Bit Map. It is very easy to upload maps from any computer to the iPad - a dialog appears in your web browser asking which files you want to upload and it does it over WiFi.
I also use OzRunways as I like the WAC charts in some situations. These are also available free in Air Nav VFR.
I also bought the Hema App, and the Mud Map HD App.

Personally I found the iOS environment a lot less clunky than Android, and other than navigation, the Nexus 7 doesn't get much use.

The other issue was that the Nexus 7 died after a year of light use. I found this was a common problem. They were very good about replacing it though.

It interests me that there are posters on this forum who feel the need to disparage the iPad with false claims about its cost and functionality, and do so repeatedly. I openly question their motives, and wonder if they are being paid.

Bob
AnswerID: 520495

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 10:04

Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 10:04
Hugh

I meant to say that you can use almost any smartphone as a wireless hotspot. Just connect your tablet's WiFi to the phone's wireless network, or use a USB cable if you prefer. The alternative with the iPad is to buy a Tesltra SIM card which is what I do. From memory you get twelve months to use something like 9GB of data, but you can refresh at any time if you use more.

Bob
FollowupID: 800961

Reply By: Member - wicket - Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 10:04

Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 10:04
I too have been looking for a tablet but everyone I've seen has a highly reflective screen and very difficult to read in sunlight or with the light behind you.

Is there one out there that is easy to read in bright sunlight , my Kindle has a great viewable screen in all conditions can any tablets match it ?

cheers
AnswerID: 520497

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 10:39

Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 10:39
Example of Nexus 7 display in bright sunshine out in the desert.

Another example.

So yes the screen is reflective, but quite usable.

The original iPad was about the same.

Bob
FollowupID: 800962

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 15:54

Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 15:54
Wicket I have not done it personally but have read of people putting matt finish screen protectors on there tablets/ipads to take the reflective finish off the screen
FollowupID: 800975

Follow Up By: Member - wicket - Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 16:30

Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 16:30
Cheers guys, I do have one of those anti reflective screen thingos on my netbook, only just satisfactory.
My kindle and handheld Magellan are both perfectly readable in direct sunlight, why can't tablets do the same.....will look at the Nexus
FollowupID: 800979

Reply By: Member - Noldi (WA) - Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 13:46

Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 13:46
I purchased my wife an IPad some 18 months ago, our first apple product. We both love it. It just works. Recently put hema maps on it and its by far the easiest to see in the car. My 7"GPS running Oz Explores is now stored in the cupboard.

Add to that, Facetime, books pics and ease of use I'll not go back

I want the new IPad Air, and its begining to look like Christmas, whoo hoo.
AnswerID: 520513

Reply By: Gronk - Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 14:38

Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 14:38
I'm keeping an eye out for the new Nokia tablet....supposed to be very good in sunlight, and seeing as I have 2 nokia windows phones, it may also interact good with them..

Which ever tablet I use, I will just tether it to the phone when out camping as it saves another plan..

But for a person that just web browses, any of the tablets would do me....especially if one came along at a good price..
AnswerID: 520516

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 08:47

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 08:47
The Nokia is running Windows 8 RT, the RT version is not a real or cut down version of windows and you might find some apps and software will not work on it.

FollowupID: 801026

Reply By: Robin Miller - Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 18:47

Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 18:47
Hi Hugh.

Surprized that so few above use those devices.

I use the 5 ch Telstra Wi Fi gadget and I use it for its technical advantages.

On pre-paid you can let it lapse ok but probably better left on pre-paid 12 month plan as its just so useful - we even use it to fill in for home pc when nearing our data useage limit.

I couple it with my 10 inch EEEPC notebook now a few years old but still offers its
own advantages if you can mount them.

The unit doesn't have to be physically connected and at more than one of our
campsites we have been able to mount in a small tree or similar such that it gets better
reception than a phone or hand held device etc.

I guess one day we will have to go tablet but its still more flexible to use a notebook
and you don't have to learn a second system , its really great to easily play with recorded tracks etc seemlessly across home/mobile PC's and this saves so much stuffing around with email formats etc.

The notebook has a non reflective screen with better visibilty than any of the pads we have seen to date and also can plug straight into 12v without a special charger.

Also the notebook can run a seperate GPS mouse which is magnetic and sticks onto car roof for better reception.

You can get external aerial for that wi-fi device to.

Next time I will probably get a single ch wi-fi to increase battery life.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 520532

Reply By: Member - Coldee - Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 19:03

Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 19:03
I really don't want to use the internet while I am travelling.

I'll probably spend an hour in McDonalds (not eating but maybe a coffee or soft drink) and take advantage of the free wi fi while passing through a big town if I ever want to get in touch with my email or post a photo on line, but it will probably wait until I return.

AnswerID: 520536

Sponsored Links