Market Direct Campers (MDC) - Bad Service

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 17:27
ThreadID: 104916 Views:19102 Replies:13 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

We recently purchased a Market Direct Camper trailer at the Sydney Supershow. They are the ones that are currently being sold through BCF. We specifically discussed the warranty at the time of purchase because of where we live and we were advised that there are very rarely any issues and that should it be necessary parts would be sent to us and they would source a local service person to install them. We have had few warranty issues and have received terrible, reluctant and aggressive "service". The warranty clerk is unhelpful, and we have to keep contacting them to get a response and pushing to get parts. For example they gave us an incorrect blue slip which meant that we could not register the camper for several weeks. The wrong suspension was installed on the camper, chipboard was used for a bed base for the drop down kitchen table section (broke the first time it was used), the kitchen tap was leaking due to broken connections, water is coming back up from the water tank and going into the camper through the filler. Screws coming loose in the steps, the steps not reaching the ground. Plastic swarf from the manufacturing process coming up through the water tank and blocking the tap connections making them leak. Random screws falling off because they were never tightened, the shower accessory is broken. A lot of the things like tightening screws and replacing the suspension we have just fixed ourselves (after they had sent us the parts). The same camper is currently being marketed by MDC for $24+K.

We live 3-4 hours south of Sydney and MDC are expecting us to return the camper at our expense to have repairs (ie the water leak, the bed base, ladder extension and shower accessory) done, leave it with them for a few days and then drive back and collect it. Problem is that we have not had a camping trip where something has not fallen off or broken and we simply can't afford to return it to Sydney on the way home every time we go camping.

We are not overly tough on our camping gear but we do use it for the purpose in which it was intended. We have just re-homed our well worn 25yo tent as an example. Don't get me wrong, I think that once we get these issues sorted it will be a great unit but it's frustrating and embarrassing that things keep going wrong. We have been approached at all the camping sites we have been to by prospective purchasers who admire our rig (mostly because they have seen it at a BCF) and we are telling them about our experiences.

If anyone is thinking of purchasing an MDC camper, I would hope that they are armed with the information that the sales staff are promising far more than the company is prepared to deliver, they don't stand behind their product when there is a problem, and the quality of the product still requires work.

Back Expand Un-Read 3 Moderator

Reply By: Nutta - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 19:44

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 19:44
In Qld Fair Trading are pretty aggressive on things like that, the equivalent in NSW should be similar.

Keep a written list/times on all calls etc for future reference incase you have a go at them.

Good luck with it.
AnswerID: 520587

Follow Up By: "Not So Grey Nomads" - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 22:15

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 22:15
Qld fair trading??? We paid a company $560 to fix our Coromal 391 brakes. 3 weeks later had to pay another company $260 to refix the brakes...Qld Fair trading wrote one email to the original company, accepted their rubbish response and handballed us towards civil court... who would bother considering the expense. Toothless tiger springs to mind...
FollowupID: 801082

Follow Up By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 09:10

Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 09:10
NSW is much the same.

They send emails or ring but if the company ignores them, they don't have any more shots to fire. And they will tell you this!

I eventually went to the Consumer, Trader & Tenancy Tribunal who have the teeth to summon companies to a hearing and make a determination that is binding.

BUT, you have to go Fair Trading first so the company has had a chance to reply. Just a waste of time if they ignore Fair Trading.

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 801095

Follow Up By: MDC Camper Trailers and Caravans - Saturday, Nov 30, 2013 at 14:55

Saturday, Nov 30, 2013 at 14:55
Hi KOR,

We offer a 12 month warranty on our product and have extended warranties up to 5 years available to all our clients.

I would like to resolve your issues with our product in a timely manner.

I am unable to contact you privately through this system as you are not currently a member. Could you please call our customer service team on 1300 4X4 4X4 (1300 494 494) Option 5 on Monday.

Please explain to them that you have been contacted by the MDC Insider on the ExplorOz forum, and they will assist you with your camper trailer issues.

Alternatively please lodge a claim via our website: http://www.marketdirectcampertrailers.com.au/warranty-claim-form

Thankyou for the opportunity to make this right for you and your family.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks Happy Campers
MDC INSIDER ;)
FollowupID: 803400

Reply By: The Landy - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 21:50

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 21:50
With all those things wrong I'd be giving it back to them and be asking for a refund, tell them you'll consider buying it again, once they resolve the problems.

If I was you I'd be looking for something else…after I got the cheque back!
AnswerID: 520594

Reply By: SDG - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 23:08

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 23:08
BCF in general are not very customer orientated.
Knowing a few people who work or worked for them, I have heard some interesting stories. One of them, which they are told in staff meetings, is that they are not allowed to serve customers. If a customer comes to them, be polite, help them as fast as possible, and get back to what they are doing. Obviously there are some staff members around that don't stick to this policy and are helpfull.
We had an issue with the local one here when it first opened. They were screaming out for clubs to sponsor. The club I was in raised several thousand dollars each year that got spread around to different charities and the bush fire brigades. The manger at the time wanted to sponsor us. Head office in Queensland sent us a letter refusing to sponsor us, as they did not want to be seen as being affliated with a club like ours. We rode bikes.

They seem to like the money from sales, but don't want to keep the customers happy. The only reason customers return is for the prices.

On another note, I was not aware BCF sold campers. Have not seen any at the local one.
AnswerID: 520596

Follow Up By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 07:26

Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 07:26
Gday
Ray's tent sell campers as well. Half made here and half made in a foreign country . Not sure which half is made here.

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 801092

Follow Up By: Member - Ups and Downs - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 08:49

Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 08:49
Muz,

I think it's the left ½?

Paul
FollowupID: 801094

Reply By: Member - Gary R M (VIC) - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 09:27

Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 09:27
Gooday KOR, sorry to hear about your problems and thanks for the "heads up".

I was considering one of these campers earlier this year but ended up going for a considerably more expensive brand that's made locally and I guess your experience validates my decision as the couple of minor issues I've had with my purchase have been addressed hassle free.

Good luck with your endeavours.

Regards, Gary M.
Gary M

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 520609

Reply By: The Landy - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 09:54

Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 09:54
Just as a follow-up, based on what you have said, and I have no reason to dispute it, I would engage a solicitor and have them write a letter demanding a full refund on the basis that the unit is not fit for purpose.

If you are having this sort of problem now it will only ever get worse, both in terms of the product, and the service and for the sort of money being asked you shouldn’t expect to have so many problems. The problems you highlight point to a budget CT put together rather cheaply, and a quick google indicates there are quite a few disgruntled people out there.

For the sort of money they are asking for this unit you can purchase a good quality second hand TVAN or Kimberley Kamper...

Unfortuantely there appears to be a plethora of cheap units coming on the market these days...
AnswerID: 520610

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 10:50

Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 10:50
Hi

Agree with what the Landy has posted.

Our friends have done this with their issues with the same company (read my reply in thread 98479).

Unfortunately, their case is now before the courts. Exactly the same reasons as those listed in the opening post. We have another friend who purchased from the affiliate company and is in the same boat.

Wish you all the best in getting some recompense.

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 801101

Reply By: Penchy - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 09:59

Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 09:59
Similar experience was had by a 4x4Earth forum member. I would be asking for a refund and look at another product.
AnswerID: 520611

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 12:21

Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 12:21
This is the type of problem why I would never import anything expensive directly from overseas to me. Source from overseas, but use a reputable local outlet to manage the importing and provision of all warranty and guarantee servicesy. And all warranty etc in writing on proper with company letterhead. Not on a postit note. A reputable and responsible company will do the warranty stuff without question.

I agree with stopping everything and going to a solicitor. And most importantly get every scrap of paper, notes and documents together and keep a detailed diary.

I wouldn't accept anything less than a full refund and while your at it go for compensation to pay solicitors etc costs.

Rotten luck mate. Too much money to risk on word of mouth.

Phil
AnswerID: 520618

Reply By: Litlbalt - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 13:45

Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 13:45
Was this purchased through BCF or through MDC ??

I note BCF only carry two of the budget versions around the $6500 grand mark.

To be honest if I had spent anywhere near $24K on a trailer I would not be putting up with the crap you are copping, The trailer would be sitting on their doorstep and the money would be back in my account.

Even at $6K i don't think I would be putting up with it either, but at the same time I reckon buying a camper in that price range you are buying trouble.

AnswerID: 520623

Reply By: kev s - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 16:07

Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 16:07
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Post Removed by Request Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
AnswerID: 520634

Reply By: Member - Andrew L (QLD) - Thursday, Oct 31, 2013 at 12:02

Thursday, Oct 31, 2013 at 12:02
Maybe I am getting older, more cynical...and wiser......but if a camper trailer is sold with a name of...MARKET DIRECT CAMPERS....or any product for that matter sold as 'MARKET DIRECT" ....doesn't the "gut feeling" alarm bell chime once or twice that there is some "spruik" or B.S. going on and further investigation and analysis of the product is needed. ..?

Post sale it doesn't help your situation, but good luck with it, keep chasing them.
AnswerID: 520668

Reply By: The Landy - Thursday, Oct 31, 2013 at 14:52

Thursday, Oct 31, 2013 at 14:52
KOR & Kev s

The President of the Guild of Camper Trailer Manufacturers, Roger Fagan (0411 040 848) would welcome a call from you to discuss the issues you have faced.
AnswerID: 520681

Reply By: mark688 - Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 10:02

Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 10:02
I too recently purchased a Voyager Rf camper I was mostly happy with it except the stops on the feet for the fold out camper part were only tacked in position and broke off first time opened out.
The winch supplied was totally useless the ratchet didn't engage at all I removed the winch and replaced it because it was easier than running back to MDC .
I emailed them pictures and a description of what was wrong I have not received any reply at all my emails were polite and suggesting improvements to benefit the company. It seems as thought they are to busy publicising how good they are to take care of customers .
I would recommend anyone thinking of buying a camper to think again if they are considering buying MDC THE CUSTOMER SERVICE IS NONE TERRIBLE
AnswerID: 521897

Follow Up By: MDC Camper Trailers and Caravans - Saturday, Nov 30, 2013 at 03:29

Saturday, Nov 30, 2013 at 03:29
Hi Mark 688,

We offer a 12 month warranty on our product and have extended warranties up to 5 years available to all our clients.

I would also like to resolve your issues with our product in a timely manner.

Have you contacted our customer service team via the warranty claim form on our website? http://www.marketdirectcampertrailers.com.au/warranty-claim-form

or

alternatively call our nationwide phone line on 1300 4X4 4X4 (1300 494 494) press extension #5 for direct line to our warranty officer.

Thankyou for the opportunity to make this right.

I would contact you directly, but it seems I cannot do so if you are not a member of ExplorOz.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks Happy Campers
MDC INSIDER ;)

FollowupID: 803373

Follow Up By: mark688 - Saturday, Nov 30, 2013 at 15:02

Saturday, Nov 30, 2013 at 15:02
Thanks MDC Insider

The whole point of my two emails that went un answered to you guys was just to help with your research and development!

I wasn't bothered about warranty It was easier and cheaper seeing that I work 6 days a week to do the fixes myself.

It would have just been nice to have had a reply and possibly an apology for the problems.

I really like my trailer and hoped my information was helpful so you could improve things as I said in the original emails it would be a shame if silly little things get you a bad name. I was more disappointed with your customer service than the welding and winch.

Regards
Mark
FollowupID: 803401

Follow Up By: MDC Camper Trailers and Caravans - Saturday, Nov 30, 2013 at 19:24

Saturday, Nov 30, 2013 at 19:24
Thanks Mark,

Could you possibly forward those e-mails to me (mdcinsider at marketdirect.com.au) I would like to follow them through with our R&D Team.

Thanks for your help.

Happy Camping
MDC INSIDER ;)
FollowupID: 803432

Reply By: MDC Camper Trailers and Caravans - Saturday, Nov 30, 2013 at 03:02

Saturday, Nov 30, 2013 at 03:02
Hi Kor,

I am from MDC, and I am new to this forum.

I would like to help you with your camper trailer issues. We have company owned warehouses / service centres across the country in Brisbane, Adelaide, Sydney, Melbourne & Perth.

I will PM you, so hopefully we can resolve this issue and get you back on the road asap.

I am very sorry that this has not been resolved earlier.

I'll have someone get in touch with you, if you don't mind.

At the end of the day, we want all our customers to be happy with our product and see this beautiful country of ours.

Thanks Happy Campers
MDC INSIDER ;)
AnswerID: 522359

Sponsored Links