Caravan Toilet

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 11:43
ThreadID: 105014 Views:5785 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
I know this is not a nice topic but with caravan chemical toilets can you use them for both number ones & twos as we are planning a big trip up to Alice and Darwin in May next year
Up till now we have only used for Wees any advise would be great I think it is a Thedford
Thanks
Greg&Leonie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lucko - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 12:55

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 12:55
Yes Greg. The Thetford is suitable for big and small jobs! Make sure the cassette has the proper treatment, leave the flap open and away you go! We also give the bowl a quick spray beforehand with that "Spray and cook" stuff, saves skids and lubricates the rubber seal.

Mark
AnswerID: 520940

Follow Up By: Rob d b. - Saturday, Nov 09, 2013 at 14:00

Saturday, Nov 09, 2013 at 14:00
I love the spray and cook idea. Definitely going to do this. These toilets are definitely ok for one and two,s. Make sure you empty them before they are totally full. It's a bit easier to empty. Make sure you have enough chemical in both the casette and flushing tanks.
FollowupID: 801827

Reply By: Ron N - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 12:56

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 12:56
Greg and Leonie - There's no problem with using chemical toilets for all human body waste. Just ensure that the toilet paper you use is "septic safe" (i.e. breaks down easily), and don't place anything in the toilets that doesn't break down easily in water (i.e. sanitary napkins).
Emptying the toilets is no-one's favourite job! - but all caravan parks and shire-operated toilet dump sites have a good setup for disposing of the waste, and they always have water available for washing them out and cleaning them.
One of the smaller shire operated dumps we came across, where no tap water was available, had a neat array of 2 litre plastic bottles full of water for toilet washing!
If you need to dump the toilet contents, and you're in a remote area with no toilet dumps, just head out into the bush, a good way from any road, dig a decent depth hole (at least 60cm) and dispose of the toilet contents in the hole, and then cover the contents with plenty of soil cover.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 520941

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 15:58

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 15:58
Don't use the chemicals that come with a toilet.

Homebrand Napisan is the go and empty about every 3 days whether you need to or not.

This keeps the smells away and you don't buy expensive chemicals.

I throw a lid of napisan and small amount of water and let it slosh around till you need it.

Alan

PS work out what model it is for maintenance.
AnswerID: 520954

Reply By: Griff61 - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 16:01

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 16:01
We use unbleached white paper in our toilet and it dosnt smell. When we used printed paper after couple of days the toilet started to smell. Also we don't use the chemical in ours, we use Home Brand nappy san. There was a blog put on here ages ago. Go search archives for it. BlogID: 3433 It was a great article by Motherhen.
I swear by Nappy San and white toilet paper.
AnswerID: 520956

Reply By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 16:25

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 16:25
Hi Greg and Leonie,

When using the toilet for 'number two's' highly I recommend using a product named 'Happy bowl' - a paper liner shaped to fit into the bowl. The use successfully, keep the seal closed, and make sure the bowl is damp, so the liner sticks to it, and then when finished, simply open and flush and everything will slide through, leaving no cleaning.
I keep a spray bottle of the pink Thetford chemical to spray the bowl before placing the liner in place but water would do the job.

Happy Bowl liners can be bought at RV places or online...just google it. Approximately $15 for 50.Whoever does the cleaning chores in your van will love them!

We have tried all types of chemicals as well as nappy soaker and find that the Blue Premium Thetford works best for us.

cheers Heather

Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 520958

Follow Up By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 16:27

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 16:27
PS. Two ply Woolworths or similar brand toilet paper dissolves away into nothing and doesn't add bulk to the cassette so you won't have to empty it as often!

Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 801563

Follow Up By: Andrew D. - Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 22:31

Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 22:31
Found the Happy Bowel liners a bit of a disaster. They don't break down and hold the 2's together in a lump and cannot empty the cassette.
FollowupID: 801674

Reply By: landseka - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 17:13

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 17:13
I agree with the Home Brand nappy soaker as the only additive required. After emptying I put two capfulls in with around a litre of water. Every #2 another capfull goes in. All good for several days.

We use Cottonelle toilet paper, beaks down quickly.

One important tip....after a couple days use when you are about to sit crack open the flap before opening the lid. If not you can 'go' then when you open you run the risk of wearing it due to pressure build-up. DAMHIK!

Cheers Neil
AnswerID: 520963

Reply By: baz&pud (tassie) - Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 09:53

Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 09:53
GM15
Another hint, only solids into the cassette (plus some fluid) and get a small bucket that sits in the bowl to peeee in, empty under a lemon tree, or similar some where, and you will find the cassette will last another couple of days.
baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 521016

Follow Up By: Franles - Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 21:38

Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 21:38
I found that most of the liquid in the bottom tank came from the flush till I bought a pressurized plastic bottle from Bunnings, filled it with a napisan mixture and flushed with that,. Can then direct the squirt exactly where needed and uses a fraction of the water otherwise used, particularly with electric pump flush..

FollowupID: 801667

Reply By: Andrew D. - Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 22:35

Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 22:35
Use Home Brand Nappy Treatment Coles or Woolworths. Aldi ripoff only half active ingredient and same price as Coles and Woolies.

If you have separate flush tank we use good squirt dish washing liquid into the flush tank. Stops the algae growing and jamming the pump, but also if you give a quick button push a squirt of water with detergent lines the bowel and nothing sticks.

Also use in the cassette a good squirt dish washing liquid with Home Brand nappy treatment. Reason 1 x 2's contain fat and detergent breaks down 2's and keeps cassette spotlessly clean inside.

Found Kleenex Cottenelle best toilet paper. Breaks down to nothing.
Always try and do 15km to 30km before emptying the cassette as ensures everything is turned to liquid.

Rinse cassette and put in 1.5L water and nappy treatment and detergent and ready for next load.
AnswerID: 521068

Sponsored Links