Innamincka to Arkaroola Village in a Day?

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 21:55
ThreadID: 105027 Views:4199 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

We are in the middle of planning a trip to the Flinders Ranges next year, and I was wondering if a trip from Innamincka to Arkaroola Village was do-able in a day. It looks like 400-500km which may be too much in a day. If not - then would anyone have a nice spot to pull over and camp for the night??

Cheers

Chris
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 22:15

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 22:15
Easily do able. As a family with a camper trailer did it several years ago, I was amazed at how good the Strezleki track (more like a dirt road Highway) was. That included a lesiurely pack up, a stop at Moomba and separate lunch stop at a bore. From the turn off at Mt Hopeless, the road was less of a Highway but still an easy dirt road drive.

The day we did it, it was an ordinary weather day with strong winds, we never found anything inviting to pull over at, but then we weren't looking or considering it.
For Grey nomads with no timetable, it's a 2 day drive. But I'd much prefer to spend the extra day around the Gammon Ranges than on the Strezleki track.

Mark
AnswerID: 520994

Reply By: Mike & Anne H - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 22:55

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 22:55
Hello, we did this trip in a day, in August 2010. We did some of the back tracks and still managed to arrive in Innaminka before dark. It was windy and had a little rain.
Have a great time!
AnswerID: 520996

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 23:04

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 23:04
Doable.
Turn left and come south to Balcanoona just before Mount Hopeless.
If you wish to camp earlier, Montocalina Bore is on the left 26 km before the turn-off.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 520997

Reply By: The Landy - Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 08:28

Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 08:28
Whilst it is possible, you will much to see in between by rushing through this region....
AnswerID: 521006

Follow Up By: The Landy - Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 09:29

Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 09:29
Meant to say, you will "miss" much of what there is to see by rushing through this region...
FollowupID: 801622

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 10:11

Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 10:11
Agree with you Landy. It might be "doable" but as the country that you pass through is very scenic and interesting, I would question why you would want to rush through. Are you travelling for the journey or the destination?

There is the amazing "cobbler" landscape around Montecollina Bore (which would be a good place to camp) and the beauty of the Flinders Ranges as they emerge from the haze as you go south. Then the very scenic run up to Arkaroola itself.

Apart from Montecollina, you can bush camp beside some of the dry creek crossings south of the turn-off near Mt. Hopeless, and there are National Parks campgrounds as well, though those are closer to Arkaroola. We wrote a blog here, (and also the following blog) of our trip through there in 2012, that may be helpful.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 801626

Follow Up By: Member - Chris_K - Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 11:03

Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 11:03
Hi Val

Very helpful - thanks. Also some nice photo's in the blog! Makes me want to go tomorrow...bit too hot now I would imagine though.

Chris
FollowupID: 801631

Reply By: The Bunyip - Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 10:05

Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 10:05
I can't speak first hand but I'm sure that in the past week or so I read a contribution to this site from a fellow reader highlighting the poor condition of the Strzelecki.
You may wish to go back say a fortnight using the "Forum" link, there may be some useful recent info.
That said, peoples views of these roads can vary greatly depending on their experience & even their expectations!!
AnswerID: 521017

Reply By: Iza B - Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 12:06

Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 12:06
I did just that route earlier in the year and it could be done in a day, pretty easily. I did stop overnight at Montecollina and enjoyed that stop, despite the amount of poo and toilet paper strewn around the place (lots of low class people about).

The two considerations in your planning should be that two spits of rain are enough to make things very,very slippery and the current quality of the road depends on when the grader last went through. One year you could have sat on 130 all the way to Lyndhurst; last trip there were several bulldust holes developing and 80 k seemed to be a safe speed to me.

If you do the turn south off the road and into Gammon Ranges on the way, we took nearly an hour to do the last 25 k into the park because the road was so rough.

An overnight stop out that way is an experience worth having.

Iza
AnswerID: 521027

Reply By: Member - VickiW - Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 22:25

Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 22:25
Hi Chris,

as others have said it would be doable if the weather and road conditions are good. The Stzlecki can be like a dirt highway. But it may be nice to stop along the way. Montecollina Bore could be a lovely place except for the loo paper everywhere - really put me off. The road / track turn off via Moolawatana / North Mulga to Balcanoona has some nice spots to stop if you are self contained. Very quiet.

The Gammon Ranges are easily explored from Arkaroola as they are close. Lots of yellow footed rock wallabies about recently too.

Have a great trip.
AnswerID: 521067

Follow Up By: Member - Chris_K - Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 22:33

Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 22:33
Hi Vicki

Thanks for the heads up - we are pretty much independent - and I like quiet places...will check it out.

Many thanks

Chris
FollowupID: 801675

Reply By: Sigmund - Monday, Nov 11, 2013 at 14:04

Monday, Nov 11, 2013 at 14:04
We did it in a day in June this year taking the eastern route to the Strez (via Balcanoona). That stretch of road is prone to flooding at the northern end. SA authorities tend to be optimistic when they clear it for 4WD only after a rain closure. It took us 5 hours to do the 180 or so km to the Strez junction; got stuck once.
AnswerID: 521254

Sponsored Links