Jayco Outback Swan vs Flamingo

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 10, 2013 at 18:33
ThreadID: 105072 Views:21897 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hello there.
We are in the market for a camper trailer for our family of 4 after recently hiring a Quest Timbarra (not enough storage space in our opinion) and have seen a couple of Jayco Offroad options in the last few days that we'd love more experienced travellers' opinions on. We looked at Goldstream but they are too long for our garage.
We are driving from Melbourne to Broome and back next year mostly on main roads with a side trip or two with our 6 and 8 year old.
The Jayco Swan had a roof rack, 1 gas bottle and 1 jerry can holder, full annexe, and I really liked the cupboard and drawers right by the entry.
The Jayco Flamingo had the external shower as well as hot water, space for 2 gas bottles, and more bench space, but just an awning, not annexe.
What have other travelling families found to be the most important factors when travelling with regard? If we are staying in caravan parks most of the time, are the camp showers, ensuites acceptable enough that we won't need the external shower?
Any other pros and cons welcome.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rob d b. - Sunday, Nov 10, 2013 at 19:48

Sunday, Nov 10, 2013 at 19:48
Hi Georgi

We have a jayco swan outback. It is great. It has awnings all round full annex with patio.Alpha pack which is external shower and hot water system. Twin gas bottles, spare tyre holder with tool box mounted on back. Battery system with anderson plug. Twin solar panels on the roof. Twin water tanks underneath. It is well set up for remote camping or pulling up into a caravan park. You will use the external shower for sure when remote camping and you will even use it to wash down even at a caravan park if you need a quick clean up. Most caravan park facilities are good these days just get online to forums and ask. We are in Port Hedland and only do winter camping due to the heat. The vans are quick enough to put up but it's the awnings that take some time to put up and down as apposed to the roll out awnings. The jayco swan tows really well it's only 1300 kg plus or minus water and additional gear. We have taken ours to coral bay, 80 mile, carawine gorge, running waters, cleaverville, some on road and some off road you just pack well and drive to the road conditions. Ours is for sale only because we want a full caravan with air cond for some long trips. Especially while we are up in the north west. They are really open inside when set up with plenty of room for two kids and gear. The windows un zip all round and they are a great mix between van and camper trailer.

You'll love it. There are a few to choose from on the market but the jayco is well priced and well made.

Rob.
AnswerID: 521228

Follow Up By: Rob d b. - Sunday, Nov 10, 2013 at 19:53

Sunday, Nov 10, 2013 at 19:53
One more thing. We chose the swan because it has a separate seating area from the kitchen so you can cook and prepare meals and if the kids are inside they can play down the other end on one of the beds and still have a large L shape lounge to muck around on.
FollowupID: 801896

Reply By: Simon V - Sunday, Nov 10, 2013 at 20:05

Sunday, Nov 10, 2013 at 20:05
Hi

I currently I an outback flamingo, which I would highly recommend these campers
swan vs flamingo its a personnel choice we (family 5) much peferred the extra storage and bench space that the flamingo offers
As per awning vs annex I have had both my first Jayco had an annex and I only ever set it up once as we would normally only ever stay in the one spot for upto a week over the three years that we owned it we never found the need to use the annex when I ordered my new van I fitted a roll out awning to suit our needs.
The roll out awning was very quick to set up and offered a massive convenience factor for us, be aware there are roll out awning and there are roll out awnings, I would highly recommend the aussie traveller awning as it is extremly weather tollerant handles high wind very very well.
I sure you will enjoy what ever you choose

ps I am also selling my flammingo (forced sale) but will buy another one opted the same as what I have when money permitts

AnswerID: 521230

Reply By: Georgi M - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 20:48

Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 20:48
Many thanks for your replies. We have decided after measuring our garage that we actually need to go down a size so we can store it under cover when not travelling and keep the cars in the carport,
Now looking at Hawk or Eagle.
AnswerID: 521325

Sponsored Links