Innamincka & Diamantina - flood reports

Submitted: Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 17:35
ThreadID: 10508 Views:3464 Replies:6 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone - the Cooper Creek at Innamincka is 3 metres over the causeway! Come on fish. The Diamantina River today at Birdsville is 7.1 metres and still 200 metres from my front verandah. Looked so lovely this a.m. - the sun rose at 6:30 a.m. and rose over the top of the water and treetops - bit of fluffy cloud, slightly coloured pink - oh lovely. Diamantina is now passed Clifton Hills and heading to Cowarie Station (maybe Sunday) - should make Lake Eyre by end of February now. (This is scientific guess work in play here).
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 18:30

Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 18:30
Hope it pores in north Qld so's the water stay's in Lake Eyre till May so we can see it. Thanks for the updates Ruth see you in May.Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 46622

Follow Up By: David O - Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 20:04

Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 20:04
Hope the roads dry out for our Easter arrival.
FollowupID: 308511

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 13:00

Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 13:00
You must have put the kybosh on the big rains coming down here - it sort of fizzled didn't it?
FollowupID: 308605

Reply By: Armo - Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 23:09

Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 23:09
Hi Ruth

We are looking forward to having some more of your great coffee in mid April. We came though in June last year with our Ultimate. This time we have another vehicle with us and two Ultimates. We were planning to leave the campers with you and do the Poeppel Corner, K1 Line, Warburton Track, Inside Track loop. We now know the Inside Track will not be possible. What are the chances that the rest will be OK, using the Outside Track of course?

Walkers Crossing was just OK last June. I assume withe Cooper coming down it is likely to be a no go in April.

We can't wait to get back whatever the situation.
AnswerID: 46647

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 12:53

Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 12:53
Hey Armo - great to hear from you. You aren't using your scone are you? If you can't use the inside track, how are you going to get across the warburton to use the outside track from the K1? Hmmmmm? There's always another answer though - haven't worked it out yet. I'm still recovering from the shock of receiving simply divine flowers for Valentine's Day (fairly difficult here - they came on thursday's mail plane from charleville - 800 klms away). All you nasties out there - I'm well aware they only came this year because I am talking about buying him a boat (he thinks I'm buying it for him - huh!). Just been over to the Billabong Caf for a coffee. We all get together Sunday a.m. about 10:00 for cappas - whole town comes. Mr Plod the Policeman (also known as Captain Pugwah of SS Betoota) has promised (on his honour) to make and bring Carrot Cake tomorrow. Walkers Crossing will be a big questionmark? Coongie Lakes should be stunning. The pilots tell us that the Georgina River (read Eyre Creek) looks as though it will fill Muncoonie Lakes and then hopefully there will be enough water to push it down Eyre Creek (Big Red way). When the Creek comes down there - it's the only place I know where the rich purple monkey faces flower (Mimulus Prostrata for the purists) - looks like a purple groundcover, tiny flower like a violet. I do have photos of that. See you soon.
FollowupID: 308602

Follow Up By: Armo - Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 00:34

Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 00:34
Ok you win and yes I did expect that answer Ruth. I was just dreaming that the Yelpawaralina Track crossing of the Warburton might be possible. Looking at the map again, with my glasses on this time, I can see that the full Diamantina volume is heading that way on the way to lake Eyre so I agree that I was away with the fairies.

On those Valentine flowers, why fly them in, surely you could wait and pick all you want in a few weeks time!

It sounds like you guys have a wow of a time without all those annoying tourists! Don't worry we are all plotting furiously ways to bring you back to reality in the near future.

Keep those updates coming. we hang on every new bit of news. It sounds like I need to add Eyre Creek to the watch list now.

Cheers, John
FollowupID: 308687

Follow Up By: Werner - Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 10:16

Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 10:16
Hi Ruth, in your experience, what are the chances of the Warburton crossing on the K1 being passable in late July ? We are planning a trip through Currawinya NP, Diamantina Lakes, Innamincka region, Birdsville, Poeppel Corner, K1 line then back to Adelaide via Birdsville track & Flinders Ra.

Werner
FollowupID: 308721

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 16:30

Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 16:30
Silly boy Armo, give your glasses a clean next time! Werner, looking into my crystal ball I'd say you had a fair to middling chance of going that way. Nice trip you are doing - make sure you've got plenty of time. Long way into Diamantina Lakes and you need a couple of days at least there (don't forget the fishing gear).
At our usual Sunday a.m. coffee and cake and yes, Mr Plod came with a beautiful carrot cake (kindly made by Mrs Plod) we asked the Mayor (who owns the property with Big Red and most of Eyre Creek and also the plane we try to fly in) and he thinks the water is stretched out in Eyre Creek so much above the Muncoonie Lakes that he doubts it will totally fill the Lakes let alone make its way down Eyre Creek to where we need to cross to go to the SD. Shame that. Still, rain is supposed to happen here shortly and a few inches would run the creek.
We went out after coffee and drove to Lewis Hill to look at the water and collect some flower specimens for one of the girls doing horticulture, lucky we all received our VD flowers on the plane because the heat has knocked the few wildflowers around shockingly. Very very green where the water has receeded. River has dropped to 6.95m now. It is thought that Innamincka (Cooper Ck) will only have a short run in the creek. From the top of Lewis Hill (try driving over big red bundis - pronounced boondi - bouncing over big red rocks up to the top) we could see Roseberth Station homestead in the distance in the river. They are built up high on a bluff with water around them on three sides. Their only way out is to fly into town - takes 8 minutes. They are coming in this afternoon for coffee and fresh (frozen) bread! We could wave to them and watch them wave back in the binoculars whilst talking to them on the 2-way. Better than being bored! They've flown in already and are here knocking on the window. See you all.
FollowupID: 308754

Reply By: Member - Bear - Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 09:27

Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 09:27
Ruth

Enjoy the updates.

Somewhat different in Coogee

Keep them coming
Bear
BEAR
AnswerID: 46658

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 12:58

Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 12:58
Bear - woke up this a.m. overnight temp was 35 degrees and it was 40 when I got up. had one of those mornings when I didn't want to be here and I did want to be at the beach and then you write from Coogee. Not fair. The 4 day forecast has it raining here tonight and tomorrow - we could do with a break from the temperatures, they've been fairly constant. Too hot for tennis.
What's happening in Coogee this weekend - how come you haven't packed the tent and got adventuring? Don't use work as an excuse, o.k.
FollowupID: 308604

Reply By: Member - Frank - Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 10:55

Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 10:55
Ruth even though we do not reply all time assure your feed back is whatched by all in envy

frankCBS
Cant Bl**dy Sitstill
AnswerID: 46663

Follow Up By: Member - Eskimo - Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 11:04

Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 11:04
ditto ruthWow, am I cute! The extra long legs are built-in prevention against ducks disease. Great looks and a real goer. Doesnt waddle along like some.
FollowupID: 308584

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 13:01

Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 13:01
Thanks Frank - aren't you nice.
FollowupID: 308606

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 11:04

Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 11:04
Might have to book my flight for Lake Eyre this year for early MarchLife ISN'T like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of jalapenos.
What you do today, might burn your bum tomorrow."
AnswerID: 46665

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 12:21

Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 12:21
Hey Bonz, do you know where the cheapest spot to fly over Lake Eyre is. We are thinking of taking our tribe for a fight at Easter.
Andrew2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
"We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing"
FollowupID: 308589

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 12:27

Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 12:27
Andrew,

I have a friend with a flying licence so thats always the cheapest, he may be interested in flying the tribe over Eyre, if you email me I'll ask him, my emails behind my pic. How big's the tribe? We might be able to combine and hire a bigger plane, cheaper by the dozen.

RegardsLife ISN'T like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of jalapenos.
What you do today, might burn your bum tomorrow."
FollowupID: 308590

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 13:04

Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 13:04
Remember, it will only be the northern part of the North Lake - but think about this. The Diamantina is about 600 klms long at this stage and in some case 20 klms wide. Same goes for Cooper Creek. So if you pilot is malleable (like that) then you can make a really interesting flight. It's interesting country along the top of Lake Eyre also. Give your maps a good going over.
FollowupID: 308609

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 13:12

Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 13:12
Ruth
We are coming up from Maree to Birdsville and then to Diamantina NP and across to Longreach. Do you suggest we fly from somewhere like Longreach and along the Diamantina or the Cooper. I assume you don't have joy flights from Birdsville yet!
"We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing"
FollowupID: 308612

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 13:12

Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 13:12
Ruth
We are coming up from Maree to Birdsville and then to Diamantina NP and across to Longreach. Do you suggest we fly from somewhere like Longreach and along the Diamantina or the Cooper. I assume you don't have joy flights from Birdsville yet!
FollowupID: 308613

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 13:41

Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 13:41
You got the hiccups? This is the time we need to have someone sitting in Birdsville doing flights. So much easier from here. The only flight you'll be able to do is from Marree, A & J, unless one of these other offers comes about. Now you're coming up at Easter aren't you?
AnswerID: 46681

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 20:50

Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 20:50
Whoops - didn't read this until tonight! Yep - Easter is the go for us. Flight out of Maree sounds the go.
Thanks for the reports. You are a pretty good publicity machine for area - tis working on us - we can't wait to get there. Keep it up.
FollowupID: 308927

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 20:52

Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 20:52
Hiccups? - sometimes my brain has a stutter stutter and tells me to dubba dubba click!2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
FollowupID: 308928

Sponsored Links