Northern Territory

Submitted: Monday, Nov 11, 2013 at 17:27
ThreadID: 105083 Views:2128 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
We are planning our trip to the Northern Territory for mid next year and are working on our route
Can any one advise there are 2 ways we are looking at they are for this leg
1 Tennant Creek to Barkly Homestead, then up the Tableland Hwy to Cape Crawford then to Borroloola then to Bing Bong then from there back to Cape Crawford to Daly Waters.
2 Tennant Creek direct up the Stuart Hwy to Daly Waters
We have a 22ft semi off road van and are self surfecent
Hope you can help us decide?
Thanks
Greg& Leonie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Lisa & Peter (NSW) - Monday, Nov 11, 2013 at 21:22

Monday, Nov 11, 2013 at 21:22
Hi Greg and leonie

We were there in august this year, went across to Borroloola from daly Waters, then later back to cape Crawford and down to Barkly Homestead. The roads were mostly tarred (a few roadworks) but a fair proportion is single lane, you need to get off for road trains. The road from daly waters to Borroloola was pretty good, down to Barkly homestead was quite up and down, and had evidence of van drawbars scraping on the tar in places, best to keep the speed right down. There wer a lot of dead cattle beside both roads, I wouldn't drive after dark if you can help it. We were in Borroloola for the rodeo, one of the highlights of our trip! just loved it.

On the way up, we went straight up the Stuart highway which was good tar road, a bit boring.Daly waters pub is a good night out, good food and a very patriotic entertainer.

We stayed at the caravan park at Borroloola, had a couple of good meals at the pub. We also went up to Lorella springs for a couple of nights. it was lovely but you need to be prepared for very rough corrugated dirt for that one.

Best of luck, I hope that's some help

Lisa
AnswerID: 521275

Follow Up By: Greg M15 - Monday, Nov 11, 2013 at 22:07

Monday, Nov 11, 2013 at 22:07
Thanks so much for that have you got any other suggestions for things to see on our way to Darwin as this is our 1st time up that way and want to see as much as possible we have allocated 4/5mths
Thanks again Greg & Leonie
FollowupID: 801982

Follow Up By: Sandman - Monday, Nov 11, 2013 at 22:28

Monday, Nov 11, 2013 at 22:28
Greg

be very careful...Many folks come for a few months and then stay a lifetime :-)
FollowupID: 801983

Follow Up By: Member - Lisa & Peter (NSW) - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 08:41

Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 08:41
Hi Greg and leonie

We also did a blog of our trip which may help a bit. There's a lot to see, I have to agree with Sandman, my hubby keeps saying he wants to move to the NT. we enjoyed Litchfield NP (busy) and Kakadu but go early in the dry to see the waterfalls at their best.Darwin is a great city with plenty to do, we stayed at Free Spirit park which was clean and tidy, good facilities, could be noisy at times due to the highway and airport.

We also spent time around Uluru, kings Canyon, Mereenie loop, Palm valley, all very worthwhile.

Cheers

Lisa
FollowupID: 801987

Follow Up By: Sandman - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 20:43

Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 20:43
Lisa

We came 5 years ago to Alice from Sydney with work. I can't imagine wasting time daily in traffic. We've just bought a place :-) 5 mins down the road and there is nobody around :-).....:-)
FollowupID: 802018

Follow Up By: Member - Chris_K - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 21:25

Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 21:25
Another vote for Litchfield National Park & worth a visit, and we had a look at Berry Springs earlier this year. Just outside of Darwin, and quite a pleasant place for a lunch...spring water and croc free!

Chris
FollowupID: 802024

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 00:45

Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 00:45
Hi Greg and Leonie

We have travelled both the Stuart Highway and the Tablelands Highway, but did not continue further than Borroloola. You are welcome to look at my 2009 blogs of the area to see which has the most interest for you. The Tablelands itself has little of tourism value. The roads we travelled would be easy to do with your rig.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 521280

Reply By: Member Andys Adventures - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 09:47

Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 09:47
Hi Greg, Bing Bong is just a loading port for the mines so unless you like stock piles of ore it's not worth the 33km.
Lorella Springs is a must and you would need min 3 days to see it. Roads are graded by late April early May.
I've just come up the Barkly Hwy 2 weeks ago and it is rough in places.Cape Crawford to Borroloola is a good road and if you want Ryan's bend Rd (Cape Crawford to Borroloola) is good too.
Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 521289

Reply By: wombat100 - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 11:03

Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 11:03
Hiya Greg
If you are a WW2 buff, there's heaps of historical stuff all the way up the Stuart from Alice to Darwin.
Some of the off the highway airstrips make ideal remote bush camping sites !!
Enjoy the NT...back about 4 weeks now following 9 week trip.

NT means:
Not Today...Not Tomorrow...Not Tuesday...Not Thursday...Not Two days either side of Tuesday...and Not Two days either side of Thursday...

Wombat 100
AnswerID: 521291

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 14:31

Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 14:31
Hi Greg,

We also did this trip last year over three and half months of easy travelling with our van. Not sure what time of year you are going or if you have pre determined hobbies like fishing etc but it is a great trip. We also did a blog for each leg and they can be found on this site. My aim was the squeeze in as much fishing as possible and there are plenty of opportunities so long as you have a tinnie.

Our trip took us up to Darwin via Mataranka and then south via Roper Bar, Tomato Island, Towns River (highly recommended) and into Borroloola to King Ash Bay. Then out via Manangoora and the Savannah Way to Cairns.

A great trip and plenty to see and do. We were later in the dry season Aug/Nov and whilst it warmed up a lot there really wasn't a crowd.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 521295

Sponsored Links