Tyre Monitor Systems ??

Submitted: Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 12:39
ThreadID: 105122 Views:4127 Replies:15 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
There seems to be quite a few of these systems available at the moment.
Looking for feedback and comments (positive or negative) on the brands people are using.
I will only be needing 4-tyre (maybe 6) system.

Oh!! and looking out the window here- the smoke has all cleared from around Springwood and Winmalee.

Cheers wombat100
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: itsdave - Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 13:12

Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 13:12
Hi Wombat

Join the club in the search for a reliable system. I currently have a 6 wheel Tyredog TD 2000 system with a relay but have always had problems with it picking up signals and incorrect data. The unit is about 4 years old.
I have just spoken to Zylux (importer) and they have said that the latest version being the TD 2300 has overcome these issues so it would be interesting to see what others recommend.
Cheers Dave
AnswerID: 521431

Reply By: two_ks - Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 13:31

Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 13:31
Hi Wombat
I can recommend the Innawise system, internal sender. I have 8 sender unit on ute and camper trailer,works well, saved a tyre and mabey a mag wheel receintly .
cheers Ken
AnswerID: 521432

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 13:50

Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 13:50
While I am not a mad fan of them I am still willing to have a look.Well the navigator asked me about them anyway.

But here is the rub. We have two sets of five steel rims. One set with off road tyres on them for trips and the other set has AT's for times when we are not on an outback trip. We would therefore need a ten unit system. And it would have to be an internal unit. If I have a monitor in the car then I may as well do it properly.

So add that to the specs and we will see what you people come up with.

Phil
AnswerID: 521433

Reply By: The Landy - Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 15:25

Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 15:25
Hi Wombat

Previously we used the TPMS brand which was a sealed sender unit on the valve stem of the tyre, it wasn’t possible to open the unit and once the battery ran out you replaced the sender unit. I found this quite good and it served us well for quite some time.

However the Australian importer of TPMS had a lot of trouble with the Chinese exporter (as I understand it) and they ceased imports.

In our new vehicle I am currently (this week) installing a number of items and this includes the Doran RV 360 Tyre Pressure Monitor, including a set of the TVAN.

What I like about these is that similar to the TPMS unit the sender is a complete sealed unit.

It is also possible to connect an external antenna to assist the wireless transmission from the sender units, however I haven’t installed this as it is unlikely it will be required for our set-up, but thge option is there. They also have a boost unit, if required and the Australian importer has full information opn its website.

As it stands I cannot report on how the unit performs, but I will do once road-tested, but from my experience of tyre pressure monitors generally is that a lot of problems are experienced through dust and water ingression into the sender unit. A sealed unit prevents this.

Doran 360 RV Tyre Pressure Monitor

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
AnswerID: 521439

Follow Up By: Brian 01 - Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 18:34

Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 18:34
I have been using an 8 sender TPMS branded system for about 6 years now. They are not a sealed unit, but do have O-ring seals between the inner body and outer cover, they also have outer theft prevention freewheeling covers.
I alternate the ones on the van with my boat, they get immersed in salt water when on the boat, and plenty of dust when on the van, they have never shown any sign of water or dust ingress.
I don't use a repeater, but do find that you need to keep the batteries in the senders up to scratch, otherwise they tend to be a bit intermittent.
FollowupID: 802139

Follow Up By: itsdave - Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 18:43

Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 18:43
Hi Landy
Had a look at the Doran 360 which looks like quite a good little unit.
My only concern would be not being able to replace the sensor batteries but instead have to replace the whole sensor. They say the battery life is only about 5 years, makes it an expensive exercise if you need to replace all 6 as I would have to.($408)
Cheers Dave
FollowupID: 802142

Follow Up By: The Landy - Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 08:43

Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 08:43
Hi Dave

Whilst confessing upfront that I have no experience with units that have replaceable batteries, I have noted a reasonable amount of commentary over the years relating to water and dust ingression into units that have replaceable batteries, and is the reason I have avoided them as a preference.

In this way I eliminate that as a possibility. But having said that, I am sure there are units that are more suitable for purpose, and others that are cheap on Ebay that will fail at the first water crossing.

Cost wise, the units that require the sender unit to be replaced in its entirety may work out to be more expensive, and my previous experience was that with careful usage, and by careful I mean removing the sensor when not in use, will give around three years of use and at around $50 each, that puts an annual cost of around $17 per tyre.

I’ll let you know how the Doran performs…

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
FollowupID: 802178

Reply By: Mazdave - Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 15:36

Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 15:36
Wombat,
I have the TPMS from Derek at ABS Sidewinder. So far reliable, easy to set up and no issues as yet. These screw onto the Tyre Valve and each has their own replaceable battery. Good value for money and as usual Derek is only to help with queries etc

AnswerID: 521441

Reply By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 19:15

Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 19:15
Hi Wombat

Look at our systems too, here is a link: TPMS from ABR

They work really well and boosters are not required on 99% of 4wd caravan combo's.

Regards

Derek from ABR
AnswerID: 521457

Follow Up By: wombat100 - Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 10:21

Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 10:21
Thanks Derek (and all the others)
Read specs on the MV4...however I require 65+psi rear tyres??
Is there a higher pressure model??
Cheers
David
FollowupID: 802185

Follow Up By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 10:33

Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 10:33
Hi David

All our new stock is now 99psi.

FollowupID: 802187

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 11:58

Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 11:58
Derek, are the senders 100% waterproof after you replace the battery?
FollowupID: 802192

Follow Up By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 12:08

Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 12:08
Yes they are and we supply spare seals with each kit.

FollowupID: 802193

Follow Up By: wombat100 - Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 16:12

Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 16:12
Hiya Derek
What a 'special' price on the MV4??
I have purchased from you before (and very satisfied with your products/service)..

Wombat100 (David)
FollowupID: 802406

Follow Up By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 16:26

Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 16:26
Hi David

$250 with free post on the MV4 kit for EO members. Email me.

Regards

Derek
FollowupID: 802408

Reply By: MAVERICK(WA) - Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 19:48

Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 19:48
for what it's worth here goes - recently did a run into the GVD and 2 of the vehicles with us had them fitted. 200series and DMax. Useful as when there was a puncture the alarm went off and the plug was able to be wacked in before too much damage. I was impressed and heading towards getting a set. However - and there is always a however - when we went into another area where it had been wet and there were big ruts and muds and stuff the sender things on the wheels got ripped off.......not all of them but a couple on each vehicle. They stick outside the rim and were the first thing to come into contact with the rut wall. Thinking it was just us being dumb I asked some others who said - "we don't leave them on when playing as they get ripped off". Seems to defeat the purpose a bit - they use them when towing on sealed or unsealed roads but take them off when heading into the gnarly bits. So far I haven't made the leap and may need to do some thinking. regards
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 521459

Follow Up By: Stevo - Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 17:01

Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 17:01
I easily rectified that issue by replacing the standard valve stems with the ones that are used on go kart rims (less than 2cm in length).
FollowupID: 802207

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 20:09

Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 20:09
I currently have a set of TPMS Australia external sensors.
Bought them on special from Opposite Lock in Adelaide.
I don't particularly like them. I have the locking rings installed and it is a PITA to remove them to air down the tyres.
They are OK to warn of sudden deflation (the main reason I bought them) but are not all that accurate in pressure measurement. I have identified a variance of up to 5 psi when comparing to the digital tyre gauge I use and direct sunlight has a considerable additional effect on accuracy.

I have done some research and determined that the internal sensors are the way to go.
As they are internal, sunlight will have a lesser impact on the readings as only the tyre will be exposed and as there is no "attachment" to the end of the valve stem, airing down will be much more straight forward.

As for brand, I have selected the Inawise internal sensor system as my next choice.
I plan to travel the Kimberley via the Gibb River Road next year and will certainly upgrade before I go.

I have only to decide whether to stick to just the vehicle (need at least 5 sensors to include the spare) or include the camper which will expand the requirement to 8 sensors, including the second spare, which I can also use on the vehicle.

I have pretty well decided on the TPMS-203 with low pressure sensors.
This will enable monitoring of up to 12 tyres (I only need 8) and include accurate measurement down to 8 psi.
This system is selectable to monitor Vehicle only, Vehicle and Trailer/Van, or Trailer/Van only.
The first 2 options are excellent, depending on whether you are towing or not, but why you would only want to monitor the towed trailer/Van only has got me stumped.
I just need to justify the $640 cost (to herself) even though saving the destruction of two tyres will pay for the system.

I have experienced deflation of one tyre on a dirt road and as you don't necessarily get the feel something is wrong straight away, especially when towing, by the time you do, the tyre may be destroyed beyond repair. (mine certainly was)

The one word of warning with the internal sensor types is you must let your tyre repairer know that internal sensors are fitted. Otherwise they could be damaged by an over zealous tyre fitter".

Good luck in your choice.
I hope I have been helpful.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 521461

Reply By: Member - Graham N (SA) - Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 20:44

Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 20:44
Hi Wombat,
I have used a SensaTyre pressure monitor system for the last three years and found no problems with the valve cap system, I have just received a new system in the mail for the 'new' tow vehicle. I want them on both the work and holiday vehicle.
I previously used the tyre dog system and found no problem with it but needed to upgrade to a six wheel system and had to buy a whole new system so thought I would try SensaTyre. Both prices seem expensive till you save a tyre or two, I've had about eight punchers in the time I've had the monitors and have a full set of repaired tyres on the vehicle I use around town.
Cheers
Graham
AnswerID: 521463

Reply By: Mal & Paully - Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 21:31

Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 21:31
Hi Wombat

I have the Inawise system on vehicle, trailer and spares, have found it very good. Pressures are accurate. Have no hesitation in recommending, not cheap but you get what you pay for.
AnswerID: 521466

Reply By: Idler Chris - Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 21:34

Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 21:34
I have Sensa Tyre monitors banded internally on the rim for my 4 road tyres and two spares. You get what you pay for and these are great, would not have anything else. You get pressure readings within seconds of turning the ignition on and when I have to air up they make life very easy. I have an air-on-board system so I clip the air hose to the valve for 30 seconds the move it to the next wheel, while it is pumping up the next tyre I check the pressure from the tyre monitor and roughly estimate how many more seconds I need to get to the required pressure. External monitors are a waste of time in my opinion. The are easily damaged and they are not accurate on tyre temp. If you keep your tyre temps under 50c you improve the life of your tyres. With a bit of trial and error you soon learn the relationship of speed and tyre pressure to how hot your tyres get, a great safety feature if used. Simply if your tyres are getting to hot either slow down or put more air in, or a combination of both. It is interesting to note that with normal driving rear tyre pressures need to be about 40 to 45 psi. However when fully loaded in trip mode the rear tyres need to be 60 - 65 psi to stay at the same temperature.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 521467

Reply By: Member - Judy and Laurie - Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 22:11

Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 22:11
Hi, would highly recommend any sort of tyre monitor. We have TPMS from opposite lock . Narellan NSW and have recently done a 14,000 km's trip to the Kimberleys . travelling from Sydney to Mt Isa , Lawn Hill, Savannah Way to Roper Bar, Darwin, Lake Argyle, Kununurra, ElQuestro, the Gibb River Road, Mitchell Falls, Broome, Bungles, Alice Springs, Ayers Rock, Coober Pedy, Port Augusta, Renmark, Sydney. We had 1 tyre go down a little which we got repaired before it destroyed itself, and apart from that nothing the whole trip. We sometimes loose signal on the monitors as we have 6 , we tow a camper, but get the signal back after a while. Tyre repairs or replacement can be costly when in the outback . so thumbs up for TPMS. Cheers Judy
AnswerID: 521468

Reply By: Mick O - Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 22:56

Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 22:56
W,

did a review of a couple of systems I have used.

Tyre Pressure Monitors

Cheers

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 521470

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 18:22

Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 18:22
I started out with Tyre Dogs, externally mounted on the rubber valve stems. Had an early failure (replaced under warranty) but wasn't happy with the senders flapping about on the valve stems so changed to SensaTyre internal system which have performed excellently.

The only issue that worries me about the SensaTyre is that the integral valve stems are rigid aluminium. This is probably necessary for support and as an antenna for the internally mounted senders . Although I have not had a problem I worry that an object could strike the projecting metal valve stem and break it. The cap of the stem is only 30mm inside the line of the tyre wall and looks rather vulnerable.

When they ultimately require replacing due to battery failure I will consider changing the system to senders strapped to the inside of the wheel well. Just have to be very careful when removing or replacing tyres.
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 521516

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Nov 16, 2013 at 10:28

Saturday, Nov 16, 2013 at 10:28
Just realised.........not "SensaTtyre"
I meant 'Inawise'
Thanks Brenton, below, for the wake-up.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 802243

Reply By: Member - Brenton H (SA) - Saturday, Nov 16, 2013 at 10:11

Saturday, Nov 16, 2013 at 10:11
Just for general info
A well educated mate of mine just went through the whole gambit of research as to the best system for his 4WD plus extra sensor capability for towing his boat.

After much debating he chose the Inawise system.

Cheers
Brenton
AnswerID: 521543

Sponsored Links