Sandy Blight Junction Track (And Camper Trailers)

Submitted: Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 08:56
ThreadID: 105135 Views:2134 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Currently I’m planning a trip along the Anne Beadell Highway for 2014 and I am looking for alternatives for the return trip towards Alice Springs.

The trip will commence and end in Sydney, and we will have around 5 weeks, give or take.

I’m canvassing return via the Great Central Road towards Warakurna, and then north along the Sandy Blight Junction Track (SBJT) to the Gary Junction Road and then east to Alice Springs.

At this time I am planning to take our TVAN along the Anne Beadell, and I am quite comfortable doing this.

My question is, how suitable is a camper trailer (of this pedigree) to traverse the SBJT? Interested to hear the views of those who travelled it, either with, or without a trailer…

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 10:27

Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 10:27
Baz last year when we had Desert Discovery at Warakurna a number of the participants came in via the SBJT and a number were towing CT's and none of them had one as robust as the T Van. Word was that the track was good but with the odd corrugated and washed out sections but that was 12 months ago so things can and do change.

Might bump into you on the AB next year if you're travelling in July?

Cheers

Dunc.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 521489

Reply By: splits - Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 11:08

Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 11:08
Baz

I drove over the Sandy Blight about four months ago and it was as easy as can be. The bloke in the shop at Kintore told me the aborigines even drive 2wd cars over it. That would be a challenge but with a few cars travelling together with a few people to push if necessary and other cars to pull, it would be possible.

There are a lot of corrugations, mainly at the top end, as well as a few long sandy sections but they should not worry you.

The track up to the top of the Sir Frederick Range presented few problems. Make sure you drive up it. The views are beautiful. I would rate it as no worse than a mild VHC track. There are a few big holes developing in the three steep sections but you are surrounded by millions of small rocks to fill them with if necessary.

If you just take your time and don't pound the daylights out of the car, you should have a good trouble free trip.
AnswerID: 521491

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 11:57

Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 11:57
Baz

No problem in a Land Rover. Good luck if you are taking a Toyota out there ;-)

Its a great track, and has a bit of everything. Some magnificent stands of desert oaks with great camping spots. The SFR as mentioned above - unhitch the trailer first! The Mu Hills. Dune country. The Davenport Range.

The corrugations can be shocking. The biggest hazard is oncoming traffic- the local coppers traverse the track in about 2 hours.

It really is one of the most magical parts of Oz. I've done it about 20 times, and each time I find something new. Last visit we spent time exploring the Mu Hills. Once you're out there you'll understand its appeal.

Bob
AnswerID: 521494

Follow Up By: The Landy - Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 12:52

Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 12:52
Bob

Now you tell me…strewth, might need another Landy!

I am very keen to actually mountain bike this track, or as much of it as I can. Mrs Landy likes the idea as it gets her behind the driver’s seat for a while!

It sounds like if we take our TVAN along the Anne Beadell it will be fine to come back this way with it…

Cheers, Baz
FollowupID: 802194

Reply By: Member-George (WA) - Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 20:42

Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 20:42
Too many times I read peoples comment regarding the suitability or condition of outback and isolated tracks, months if not a year in advance, including the SBJR, CSR and Simpson Desert track, just to mention a couple. I can tell you, from experience, that it is virtually impossible to give any accurate information regarding any off road track, more than 1-2 weeks in advance of traversing the track. Conditions can change over night, particularly around the months of March-May along the East to West centre of Australia and the wet season months in the Northern regions. Get your road updates just before you leave and continue to get updates as you go. Cheers and safe travelling
AnswerID: 521519

Follow Up By: The Landy - Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 22:58

Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 22:58
It was a "general" question George, but understand fully where you are coming from…

Cheers...
FollowupID: 802231

Reply By: Kanga1 - Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 21:51

Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 21:51
No problems Baz, we towed our Tvan behind the Troopy about 3 years ago through the SBJT, don't tow it up the Sir Frederick range lookout Len put in though, leave the trailer at the bottom track junction, great view and Cairn up there. Quite corrugated up towards Mt Leisler. ABH will be no worries, very corrugated from Emu East, ttttttttttaaaaakkkkkkkeeeee your time on that bit, Cheers. Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 521522

Reply By: KevinE - Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 20:07

Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 20:07
Hi Baz,

I'm planning to traverse the SBJT with our CT in tow sometime in the new year; my plan is: Gunbarrel Hwy from Victory Downs to SBJT, then up to the Gary Junction Road, then down the GJR to AS.

Its a short trip, but sadly I haven't got the time for a bigger trip ATM.

Really hope to see you out there mate!

Cheers,

Kevin :=)
AnswerID: 521621

Sponsored Links