'Spring over' for FJ60?

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 10:56
ThreadID: 10515 Views:6460 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy all.

Um, im looking 2 give the old TOJO a small lift. I'm mostly considering extended shackles ( any recomended brands? ) instead of lift blocks & lift springs. Just wondering whether ( may b a stupid question..? ) anyone has done a 'spring over axle' for a 60 series? are they feasable? my initial thoughts that if Toyota didnt spring over for the cruisers & yet did for the Hilux's etc, that there must b a sound reason for it (.... or is it just 2 keep them a little lower/ less body roll etc )?

cheers in advance

Rowen
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ross - Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 11:54

Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 11:54
I wouldnt do the shackle extension unless your springs are good as youll have too much roll and bumpsteer.
Better to fit new springs that have a 2 inch lift.I paid $660 for my dobinsons from TJM (FJ73),60 series are the same price.

The hilux started its life as a 2wd ute.Later on when Toyota needed a 4x4 in this class ,the cheapest way was to convert the existing body.The problem was, there wasnt enough room for suspension travel or clearance for bigger tyres under the old fenders. The springover fixed this.
The reason the landcruiser doesnt have a springover is because it was a purpose built 4x4 with all the right geometry designed into the body negating the need for the springover.

AnswerID: 46667

Reply By: ross - Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 12:08

Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 12:08
SOA have been done on plenty of 60s series. Fundamentally its the same as a 75 series.Do a search on IH8MUD.Its a mainly US site with pics and tech articles on suspension including 60s. Also Outer limits 4x4 forum ,an aussie site,have owners who have done the SOA and bodylifts.
AnswerID: 46668

Reply By: tour boy - Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 19:06

Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 19:06
Maquarie 4x4 in Windsor NSW have plenty of them running around Sydney with spring over conversion. Last time I enquired it was around $3000. They have to cut the swivel hubs off the axle ends, rotate the diff upwards and then re-weld the hubs back on to ensure correct caster angle for steering.
AnswerID: 46699

Sponsored Links