Cooper Tyres STT

Submitted: Thursday, Nov 21, 2013 at 18:31
ThreadID: 105210 Views:3506 Replies:18 FollowUps:17
This Thread has been Archived
Hi I am new to this. Has anyone had trouble with Cooper Tyre warranty? As this has been going on for several weeks now to try and claim on tyres. We went back to the authorised dealer and I had to wait for rep to come back from holidays, to bad if you wanted to get back home.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: 515 - Thursday, Nov 21, 2013 at 18:47

Thursday, Nov 21, 2013 at 18:47
What are you claiming on?
AnswerID: 521844

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Thursday, Nov 21, 2013 at 18:47

Thursday, Nov 21, 2013 at 18:47
Of all the tires people try to claim warranty, Cooper is the stand out.
Just don't buy them.
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 521845

Follow Up By: Bludge - Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 13:03

Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 13:03
I would suggest that is because they do offer such a general warranty when other manufactures don't.
FollowupID: 802767

Reply By: DiscoTourer - Thursday, Nov 21, 2013 at 18:56

Thursday, Nov 21, 2013 at 18:56
Your tyre dealer should just replace them and sort it with the rep when he returns. The dealer should have enough pull with any tyre rep.
So what has gone wrong with them?
I have been using them and punishing them for more than 10 years and have not needed to make a claim, so very curious.
Brett.....
AnswerID: 521846

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Thursday, Nov 21, 2013 at 19:18

Thursday, Nov 21, 2013 at 19:18
Not Cooper but Mickey Thompson which is same parent company.

I had an issue in September after a central Australia trip with a tread block coming off.
I took a photo and emailed the Australian distributor of what my problem was, within half an hour I had received a phone call from them and a rep was on my workplace doorstop within 3 hours of my email. They closely inspected all of my tyres and measured tread wear etc. the problem was inconclusive but to there credit gave me a very generous pro rata credit toward a new full set of rubber to be fitted at my preferred tyre retailer.

I must say the service was nothing short of fantastic. They did check serial numbers to check age and if they were genuine Aussie stock as well, just on that point do you know if yours are genuine Cooper warranty or perhaps there are some stalling tactics going on in your case because the warranty is with the grey importer?
Just a thought.
Good luck with it all

AnswerID: 521847

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Nov 21, 2013 at 19:43

Thursday, Nov 21, 2013 at 19:43
Same as Alby and Brett. We had an issue with a tyre cracking. Out of curiosity I contacted the outlet and next day the Rep was at my front door to have a look at them. No real issue but they gave us 40% off on a new set of five ST maxs. That's the only tyre issue we have had for decades.

Still staying with Cooper.

Phil
AnswerID: 521851

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Thursday, Nov 21, 2013 at 19:47

Thursday, Nov 21, 2013 at 19:47
I've never run Coopers, but a good mate of one of my bros has and had issues.
It would seem that for every bloke who swears by them, there's another who swears at them.
AnswerID: 521852

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Nov 21, 2013 at 20:02

Thursday, Nov 21, 2013 at 20:02
isn't that the same with most "popular" brands. I think that this is the first time that I have even mentioned that I had them.

Some people even like Toyotas and Nissans. And believe it Jeeps.

Ah well.

I think that all the top brands do their jobs well. Just a small difference in the carcas or side walls can make a big difference at the time a stake hits the side wall. We choose and spend our money in the belief that we did it wisely.

Phil
FollowupID: 802727

Reply By: colin t4 - Thursday, Nov 21, 2013 at 19:47

Thursday, Nov 21, 2013 at 19:47
All four tyres have de laminated and falling apart. That is from the authorised tyre dealer. Yet we still had to wait for the rep.
AnswerID: 521853

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 07:28

Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 07:28
I feel for you Colin,

Not much point in 40% discount on a new set of "dodgy" tyres hey!

My Bridgestones may not get the purported 80,000 kms Cooper claim, but I have not had any problem with any of the several sets I've purchased over the years, except perhaps for the last OEM set on a new vehicle that I only got 45,000 km from. (Just wore quickly)
As the vehicle was made in Thailand, perhaps the tyres were sourced there as well:-(

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 802748

Reply By: colin t4 - Thursday, Nov 21, 2013 at 19:50

Thursday, Nov 21, 2013 at 19:50
I have asked the rep to come to the house, the car is currently parked as I am working interstate. I have asked the rep to go to my home to inspect the tyres and to take whatever codes that he needs. But he won't do that he wants it back at his authorised dealer. It has been there already.
AnswerID: 521854

Follow Up By: snow - Thursday, Nov 21, 2013 at 20:07

Thursday, Nov 21, 2013 at 20:07
Would not be safe or insured to drive if tyres are faulty (?).
FollowupID: 802728

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Nov 21, 2013 at 22:41

Thursday, Nov 21, 2013 at 22:41
Cooper rep came to my house to look at damage. SW Vic didn't seem to be an issue with him
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 802745

Reply By: Member - john y - Thursday, Nov 21, 2013 at 20:36

Thursday, Nov 21, 2013 at 20:36
be interested to know tyre size and vehicle involved regards john y
AnswerID: 521856

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 10:11

Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 10:11
And pressures, loads and speed. I guarantee I can make any tyre delaminate. For all four to go out together sounds like they may have been subjected to unreasonable demands, and not just a random failure.

Bob
FollowupID: 802760

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Saturday, Nov 23, 2013 at 21:47

Saturday, Nov 23, 2013 at 21:47
Agree Bob, this is the problem with tyre reviews and experiences. So many variables and opportunities for user error that are usually blamed on a tyre defect.
Not saying that is the case here or sticking up for a particular brand, just saying.
FollowupID: 802896

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Thursday, Nov 21, 2013 at 20:50

Thursday, Nov 21, 2013 at 20:50
My Brother has a 200 registered in WA. He bought a new set of Coopers in NSW and then wandered back to WA to have a Lovells GVM upgrade kit fitted and engineered in WA. Took him a few weeks towing a Boroma 24ft van. When the guys fitted the upgrade kit they noticed the inside walls of the Coopers starting to crack. He went to a local Cooper supplier who replaced them within an hour or so. Bob.
AnswerID: 521857

Reply By: George_M - Thursday, Nov 21, 2013 at 22:12

Thursday, Nov 21, 2013 at 22:12
The warranty claim on a Cooper tyre seems to depend on the dealer, Colin.

I punctured a 20,000klm old Cooper ATR (LT) on the Princes Hway (Highway 1) south of Cann River.

The dealer (Bob Jane at Oakleigh) advised me that the tyre was irreparable, and that the warranty was void because I'd "been"offroad". On pressing the dealer what constituted "offroad", his reply was "anything off the bitumen". Not happy, Jan! Swapped them all for MT ATZs at another dealer.

The Micky Thomson retailers seem to be more committed to warranty matters, even though MT is part of the Cooper group.

George_M.
Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 521864

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 09:43

Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 09:43
George

It would be a pretty generous warranty that covered punctures. I reckon if I was unlucky enough to destroy a tyre by puncturing it, it would be 'tough bickies' and I'd have to stump up. Staking a sidewall, for instance, is just one of the risks you take. Its not the fault of the tyre, its part and parcel of going off road. Holding the tyre outlet or manufacturer responsible would seem unreasonable.

Bob
FollowupID: 802756

Follow Up By: George_M - Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 10:21

Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 10:21
Apologies Bob - my post to Colin was not clear enough.

The points I am making about Cooper tyres are these:

1. The response to warranty claims on Cooper 4WD tyres seems to vary by dealer

2. Cooper's much advertised warranty on 4WD tyres is void as soon as you take your vehicle off the bitumen. It is therefore worthless.

3. Warranty claims for Cooper 4WD tyres are settled at the discretion of the dealer, and are not influenced by the advertised warranty.

So: what I was not happy about was not that I'd destroyed a tyre on the highway by picking up a nail through the tread, but the realisation that Cooper's constantly advertised warranty is not worth the paper it is written on.

George
Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 802761

Follow Up By: Bludge - Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 13:38

Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 13:38
George_M

Coopers advertised warranty is below, your puncture falls into the first item. There is no "warranty void" if you go off road, if the dealer said he should be sacked.

Bridgestone offer free puncture repair or tyre replacement for $12.50 per tyre for the first 12 months of 12000 kms only.

Beaurepaire $9 per tyre is inspected at 5000 then every 100000 kms (after the 5000km inspections at your cost for the inspection) plus terms and conditions.

What is covered and for how long?
Cooper warrants to the original purchaser that if a Cooper tyre becomes unserviceable in private vehicle use as a result of a defect in workmanship or materials during the tread life (see definition), it will be replaced as defined below.

Tread Life
When the tread becomes worn down to 1.6mm (shown by tread wear indicators moulded into the tread grooves) the tyre is worn out and this warranty ends.

Replacement Charge
The replacement charge will be determined by multiplying the consumer’s original purchase price by the percentage of original tread depth worn from the tyre. The consumer must pay for mounting, balancing and any other additional charges, or the acceptance by the consumer of a higher priced replacement tyre.

What is not covered?

This warranty does not cover tyres that become unserviceable due to:
1.Conditions resulting from road hazards, such as cuts, snags or punctures.
2.Conditions resulting from improper installation, wheel misalignment, or tyre/wheel assembly imbalance.
3.Conditions resulting from consumer damage, such as improper tyre and vehicle maintenance, misuse, abuse, accident.
4.Passenger car tyres used in any commercial application.
5.Ride complaints after the first 1mm tread wear.
6.Ozone or weather cracking on tyres over four (4) years from date of purchase OR tyres that are worn to 1.6mm tread depth or more than 72 months old (based on date of purchase) whichever comes first.

Australian Consumer Law Notice

Our goods come with guarantees that cannot be excluded under the Australian Consumer Law. You are entitled to a replacement or refund for a major failure and for compensation for any other reasonably foreseeable loss or damage. You are also entitled to have the goods repaired or replaced if the goods fail to be of acceptable quality and the failure does not amount to a major failure.
FollowupID: 802771

Reply By: broometime - Thursday, Nov 21, 2013 at 23:45

Thursday, Nov 21, 2013 at 23:45
living in the kimberly for 9 years now,had problems coopers seperating in the heat.
would never take them if they were free..
AnswerID: 521869

Reply By: Iza B - Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 06:19

Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 06:19
Disco driving friend seriously damaged rear quarter when Cooper delaminated after 3000k. Damaged tyre and other 4 tyres returned for investigation. Tyres were replaced, pro rata, but the problem set has now disappeared as insurance company has asked for access to the tyres. Would not touch the brand.

Iza
AnswerID: 521871

Follow Up By: Kanga1 - Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 09:42

Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 09:42
Ditto Iza, we damaged our Troopy to the tune of $600 when one of the half worn (7mm Tread left) ST-C Cooper 265/75 R16 we had delaminated 70 % of the tread at one end causing the large flap of tread to smash up the inner guard quite badly. Fortunately we were only doing about 60kmph at the time going to the Big Bell in the WA Goldfields. Like you, I wouldn't buy another tyre of that brand
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 802755

Reply By: Batt's - Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 08:16

Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 08:16
Good luck with your warranty claim. I've never had a set of coopers myself so I've never had to make a warranty claim for any tyre I've bought in 30yrs of driving. It seems to be a common thing for people to have problems with coopers they are the most complained about tyres by far on the few sites I visit. Can't understand why my cheap Kumho's have never failed might have something to do with 4WD action not trying to flog them of to unsuspecting customers.
AnswerID: 521880

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 09:36

Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 09:36
I have had Coopers for over ten years and have had a great run. Never had a warranty claim. Hardly a puncture. I do monitor temperature and pressure, however.
Do other manufacturers offer a warranty like Coopers? The relative number of warranty claims for Coopers might just be a result of the fact that the others don't offer a warranty.

Bob
FollowupID: 802754

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 13:23

Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 13:23
Nothing special about Cooper tyre warranty Bob unless you're talking about the expensive and much derided "mileage" pro-rata (!) guarantee which requires wheel rotation, balancing and wheel alignment checks to be done at your cost at an authorised Cooper dealer every 10k.

Tyres are covered by statutory warranty but it's obviously a pretty murky area which requires persistence and patience many of us don't have. If you're cranky enough there's always the power of the "social media" although these days it's hard to sort the wheat from the chaff where complaints are concerned.
FollowupID: 802769

Follow Up By: Member - Rowdy6032 (WA) - Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 18:33

Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 18:33
On my second set of Coopers now for Prado. Also have them on the van.

Never had a problem or puncture.

Wheel rotation, balance and alignment check done every 10K at no cost to me.

Maybe you need to change dealers.

Rowdy
FollowupID: 802788

Reply By: Bludge - Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 13:24

Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 13:24
I am unsure of what style of or age of the Cooper tyres you have.

Like others I have personally had 2 sets of STT's on my own vehicle and covered around 160,000 kms with one puncture which was really my fault, for not taking care through a rock filled gully.

Have you spoken to Cooper or is this conversation via the dealer?
I have spoken with Cooper on various occasions for other vehicles and always got a response. 1300 266 737

I a little surprised that the Dealer has not sorted this out, as authorised dealer it would be in his interest to get this solved ASAP. If he can't then I would want to know why not.

The Cooper warrant (below) has the Australian Consumer Law Notice statement, see last paragraph. I would push this first to the Tyre Dealer who sold you the product and under consumer law is responsible, then if no joy to Cooper with a complaint about their dealers inaction. Then consumer affairs in your state.

Cooper’s Manufacturer’s Warranty

What is covered and for how long?
Cooper warrants to the original purchaser that if a Cooper tyre becomes unserviceable in private vehicle use as a result of a defect in workmanship or materials during the tread life (see definition), it will be replaced as defined below.

Tread Life
When the tread becomes worn down to 1.6mm (shown by tread wear indicators moulded into the tread grooves) the tyre is worn out and this warranty ends.

Replacement Charge
The replacement charge will be determined by multiplying the consumer’s original purchase price by the percentage of original tread depth worn from the tyre. The consumer must pay for mounting, balancing and any other additional charges, or the acceptance by the consumer of a higher priced replacement tyre.

What is not covered?

This warranty does not cover tyres that become unserviceable due to:
1.Conditions resulting from road hazards, such as cuts, snags or punctures.
2.Conditions resulting from improper installation, wheel misalignment, or tyre/wheel assembly imbalance.
3.Conditions resulting from consumer damage, such as improper tyre and vehicle maintenance, misuse, abuse, accident.
4.Passenger car tyres used in any commercial application.
5.Ride complaints after the first 1mm tread wear.
6.Ozone or weather cracking on tyres over four (4) years from date of purchase OR tyres that are worn to 1.6mm tread depth or more than 72 months old (based on date of purchase) whichever comes first.

Australian Consumer Law Notice

Our goods come with guarantees that cannot be excluded under the Australian Consumer Law. You are entitled to a replacement or refund for a major failure and for compensation for any other reasonably foreseeable loss or damage. You are also entitled to have the goods repaired or replaced if the goods fail to be of acceptable quality and the failure does not amount to a major failure.

AnswerID: 521911

Reply By: Shaker - Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 15:38

Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 15:38
Never again, their warranty is as bad as their tyres, & at the time that I was dealing with them their State manager was a liar & a cheat!

AnswerID: 521917

Follow Up By: abqaiq - Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 16:09

Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 16:09
Good tire information [IMO] on the Beadnell Tours website. Not related to warranties just heavy duty tires and such.
Abqaiq
FollowupID: 802777

Reply By: troopmaster96 - Saturday, Nov 23, 2013 at 08:23

Saturday, Nov 23, 2013 at 08:23
Hi all, I have always called myself a Coopers Snob, had a new set of ST Max's fitted to my Troopcarrier on New Years Eve, 11 months and 26,000kms later they are almost bald!!
I loved the older block pattern, this new tyre is more maintenance and not as grippy IMO.
I have had many sets of Coopers, I think it's time to try something else!
PS: all new Wheel and Swivel Hub Brgs, and Tie Rod Ends on mine.
AnswerID: 521959

Follow Up By: troopmaster96 - Saturday, Nov 23, 2013 at 08:24

Saturday, Nov 23, 2013 at 08:24
Sorry, nothing to do with the thread subject.
FollowupID: 802827

Reply By: Coenen N & G (WA) - Saturday, Nov 23, 2013 at 22:31

Saturday, Nov 23, 2013 at 22:31
We had STTs that did the same thing and after inspection from the rep (WA) we were given a new set less the value of the tread we had worn ie we lost 25% . Our second set which were STs did exactly the same thing after about 50,000 kms, however they still had plenty of tread left. We were always careful with air pressures and weight etc. After one blew out we decided to change the remaining two in Port Hedland where the agent told us that the Coopers cant withstand the heat up north so we bought another brand and so far so good! Good luck!
AnswerID: 522003

Follow Up By: Slow one - Sunday, Nov 24, 2013 at 06:51

Sunday, Nov 24, 2013 at 06:51
Had an identical thing happen with ST's. About the same K's and one blew.
FollowupID: 802900

Sponsored Links