Hema Navigator 6 - 12V Charger Radio Reception Interference

Submitted: Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 10:23
ThreadID: 105221 Views:2559 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I drive a 2000 Nissan GUII Patrol and have just purchased a HN6. I am getting radio interference from the HN6's 12v charger when it is connected to the HN6. I have hard wired the HN6 & get the interference if it is charging from the cigarette lighter or hard wired. I have ditched the Nissan radio & replaced it with a new Kenwood unit, I have also tried different radio aerials but still get the same radio interference. Anyone got any ideas please?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rob D (NSW) - Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 10:55

Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 10:55
Owen,

Without trying to get too technical.

Most DC-DC power supplies in use today are switch mode supplies in which the DC is rapidly switched to create a waveform that can be used by a transformer to step up or step down the voltage to the desired level.

This switching process generates undesired signals (harmonics) over a large part of the frequency spectrum. These are usually filtered (or shielded) to an acceptable level within the power supply itself.

The problem you have is in the power supply and not the radio. It sound to me that the power supply may be defective and even though it puts out the required 5V DC, it must be emitting the unwanted radio frequency signals.

To test this you will need to use a different 5V DC power supply and completely disconnect the supply you have now.

I hope this helps.
If you relax at a faster pace you can get more relaxation in for a given time.
Regards Rob

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 521903

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 14:30

Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 14:30
I had a similar problem.
The fix was to use a different USB cable then problem solved.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 521915

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 18:29

Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 18:29
I would just turn off the radio:-)

Seriously though, is the interference on the AM of FM band.
This is not a normal occurrence with the Hema Navigator.
I had an original HN5 and now a HN6 and have no problem whatsoever.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 521922

Reply By: Owen A - Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 20:39

Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 20:39
Thanks Rob, Dodg & Bill The fault is with both AM & FM and is when I am some distance from the transmitter. ie I lose reception or get interference about 50 km less distance away than I used to. But you are correct the reception improves when I use the USB cable to charge instead of the 12v charger.
Thanks, Owen A.
AnswerID: 521938

Sponsored Links