Perth to Sydney

Submitted: Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 20:18
ThreadID: 105260 Views:2001 Replies:9 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
After some very helpful suggestions from forum members re vehicle hire, we now proceeding with our plans to drive from London to Sydney via Perth.
We will hire a 4x4 in Perth and plan to take about 3 weeks to get get to Sydney.

There are many route options - have members any suggestions for 'must see' places or 'must do' tracks?

Are there any forums where we can get some suggested route options for a journey of this length?

many thanks,
Andy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Chris_K - Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 21:44

Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 21:44
Try this one:

http://www.outbackway.org.au/

You obviously don't need to go to Cairns - but an alternative.

Chris
AnswerID: 522102

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 11:16

Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 11:16
Got the following warning when I tried to open that link.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 803060

Follow Up By: Member - Chris_K - Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 11:22

Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 11:22
Hi Peter

Perhaps try just typing the address into the web browser instead of following the link? Sometimes it's the link that is identified as the problem - it could be that there is a problem with ExplorOz trying to pop up a new window.

We run some pretty heavy firewalls and virus stuff in our office - and never had a problem with the site.

Chris
FollowupID: 803061

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 12:45

Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 12:45
No good. I tried it in three browsers and none co-operated. I posted the name into Google and it produced a few entries. The one with the same address as the link above bombed out. The link to the permits (http://www.outbackway.org.au/get-permits.html) worked OK. So do most of the tabs on that page. However the home page tab gets blocked. Looks like it is an Avast problem.
PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 803063

Reply By: Candace S. - Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 22:32

Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 22:32
I'm not sure if you want to tackle truly remote travelling, so here's a suggested Perth to Sydney driving itinerary that gets you out on the dirt but not too remote:

Perth to Kalgoorlie.
Kalgoorlie to Leonora; along the way, visit the Lake Ballard sculptures.
From Leonora, head east on the Great Central Road to Yulara; along the way are caves near Tjukayiria Roadhouse, Giles Weather Station, Lasseter's Cave, etc.
Yulara: Kata Tjuta and Uluru, AKA The Olgas (highly recommend the Valley of the Winds walk) and Ayers Rock.
Yulara to Kings Canyon (Watarrka Nat'l Park).
Kings Canyon to Alice Springs via the Mereenie Loop Road and Namatjira Drive; I recommend the West Macdonnel range gorges you can visit along this drive.
There are various things to see and do around Alice Springs.
Alice Springs to Coober Pedy; I recommend seeing the Breakaways north of Coober Pedy, and there are things to see and do in Coober Pedy.
South from there to Adelaide then east to Sydney (I don't have any personal experience with the countryside east of Adelaide, but obviously there would be plenty to see/do in Sydney!).

I'm sure others here will either recommend a completely different route, or point out some other sights to see along the way!
AnswerID: 522109

Follow Up By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 08:25

Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 08:25
Gday Candace
You missed the Coorongs south east of Adelaide and the Great Ocean Road to Melbourne .

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 803053

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 20:24

Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 20:24
I would NOT recommend the Great Central Road or Central Australia in summer. Especially to someone coming from the depths of a northern winter.

From Perth, I would head south and do the wineries, beaches and forests of Margaret River and Pemberton. Perhaps the Yeagarup dunes and the Warren River mouth and then on to the giant karri trees at Walpole. The south coast from Denmark & Albany east thru Bremer Bay all the way to east of Esperance is absolutely magnificent at that time of year with plenty of 4WD options.

Cross the Nullarbor and then you've got the Eyre Peninsular in SA before Adelaide and the Barossa etc.

What happens in the barren wastelands east of there is of no interest :)

My two penneth worth
FollowupID: 803092

Follow Up By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 07:18

Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 07:18
Gday Paul
You must be talking about NSW and Qld as there are no barren waste lands in Vic .

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 803100

Follow Up By: get outmore - Thursday, Nov 28, 2013 at 20:18

Thursday, Nov 28, 2013 at 20:18
If I was to take the firsrt suggested route I would do it via the golden way between kalgoorlie and leonora -- the bitumen drive is a bit ordinary excitment wise.

and if i was doing the southern route Id pick up the 4wd trips on the south coast guide book available from most newsagents.

when hitting the Eyre penninsula if time didnt allow for the whole triangle Id take the alternative highway1 (flinders highway) checking out the sites between ceduna and Talia before taking the road to pygery and highway1
FollowupID: 803272

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 08:04

Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 08:04
Hi Andy,

The time of year will influence which route you you might take, also whether you need accommodation along the way (cabins, motels etc) or are self sufficient for bush camping. The fact that you are hiring a 4wd suggests you want to get off the bitumen which means there are a few options.
Sounds like a real adventure.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 522118

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 11:21

Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 11:21
"Are there any forums where we can get some suggested route options for a journey of this length?"

The site I use for route planning is - Google Maps. In the top LH corner you will see a link "Get Directions."
PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 522124

Reply By: Member - Noldi (WA) - Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 15:01

Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 15:01
Andy, not sure if I'm going blind but I can't see any reference to When?

Would certainly make a difference to my plans
AnswerID: 522135

Reply By: allein m - Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 18:43

Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 18:43
I did the trip glasgow to london and onto Southampton by train and from south hampton to Fremantle melbourne and onto Sydney

20 pound s

I was 12 not sure if the kids had to pay but mum and dad were ten pound migrants way back in 1967

Amazing trip Perth to sydney so much to see and do

I have done it many times by car bus and train and ship

A web site of a German couple who did the trip Perth to queensland via great central hwy

some good images sorry but it is all in German but you will get a idea
AnswerID: 522145

Follow Up By: allein m - Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 18:45

Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 18:45
sorry we went by ship it took 3 weeks and we were the last one to use the sueze canal for some time some thing about a 6 day war
FollowupID: 803082

Reply By: agbucks - Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 18:55

Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 18:55
Thanks for all your very helpful suggestions.

The journey time we have allocated is approximately 3 weeks from Perth commencing mid-October 2014.

Regards,
Andy
AnswerID: 522146

Reply By: agbucks - Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 19:03

Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 19:03
I note several of the tracks under consideration require permits. Is there a single permit to give access to all areas or do we apply for each separately? Can the application be done on line and how long does it take?

Also, note some areas are min 2 vehicles - this does not work for us as we will be travelling solo.

Andy
AnswerID: 522149

Follow Up By: Candace S. - Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 15:54

Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 15:54
There are different agencies issuing permits for various areas/tracks. You'll have to decide on your route first, then determine which permits you need. If you use the search feature under either "Places" or "Treks" on this site, it should help you contact the permit agencies.

Curious where you got the information that a minimum of 2 vehicles are required for travelling? Or was that simply a suggestion?
FollowupID: 803146

Follow Up By: agbucks - Tuesday, Dec 03, 2013 at 00:00

Tuesday, Dec 03, 2013 at 00:00
Re the 2 vehicles, this is a specific requirement I understand if you want to travel the abandoned section of the Gunbarrel highway. I got this information from the Ngaanyatjarra council website. However, I do not think this will impact on our travels.
FollowupID: 803577

Reply By: allein m - Thursday, Nov 28, 2013 at 15:28

Thursday, Nov 28, 2013 at 15:28
one thing I did forget to say is after some research for some one else who were coming from over seas I found out many over seas road service companies have got a joint agreement with Australian road companies RAA for example in perth it is RAC

I know you will be hiring but I am not sure what road service they offer but once you get out of the city the basic service offered is almost worthless due to some serious Ks between towns

some thing to look at saves a lot of heart ache in the end

few weeks ago some of the people were discussing costs of major breakdowns and some were fully covered and paid nothing others well some very expensive

AnswerID: 522259

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, Nov 29, 2013 at 12:52

Friday, Nov 29, 2013 at 12:52
could be wrong but I would have thought if your hiring the hire company has sole responsability of taking care of vehicle breakdowns and making sure you get what youve paid for.

thats for no fault break downs obviously
FollowupID: 803331

Follow Up By: allein m - Friday, Nov 29, 2013 at 14:04

Friday, Nov 29, 2013 at 14:04
I have never hired a car so i have no idea but would it not be easier to know before hand if you have got cover from your own company in another country beforehand and just say they do not have have cover from the hire company

I have had to rethink my RAA cover living in Broken Hill basic cover is worthless once you leave town

and for me it is just a suggestion knowing what I know now

FollowupID: 803336

Follow Up By: get outmore - Saturday, Nov 30, 2013 at 10:25

Saturday, Nov 30, 2013 at 10:25
interesting rou say RAA being in NSW although broken hill is kind of south australia.

I was a member of RAA for years before switching to the RAC (WA)

ive used RAA in WA and RAC in the NT and found they work pretty seamlessly in other states

as you say you definitly need premium cover which (assuming most AA are fairly simular) gives 100k of towing which i made use of when holing a radiator near Arltunga near Alice Springs

and just as a piontless aside I recently got my gold RAC card as years joined gets carried over from other states AA service
FollowupID: 803382

Follow Up By: allein m - Saturday, Nov 30, 2013 at 14:05

Saturday, Nov 30, 2013 at 14:05
get outmore

yes I lived in perth since 1967 and joined rac in Perth but rarely used them for 20 years.

I found it a little bit of getting used to living here in Broken Hill

I meet my wife on the net and moved from Perth to wagga wagga and i did feel like I lived In NSW but when we moved to Broken Hill I feel more like I am in SA

our TV is SA based and most news in From SA and with the RAA they have a big office here in town and offer a lot I was with NRMA they have one person in town and do not offer the same sort of help with just one person

we were so lucky few months back after buying new tire went off to Adelaide and two front one went down and we found out the tub less valves were not replaced $1200 tow home we were just on the 100ks from town in the middle of no where

that is what many people just never see is the huge distances you have to travel once you get further away from major cities

FollowupID: 803396

Sponsored Links