Face Ache, Twitter etc, etc.

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 19:03
ThreadID: 105292 Views:1940 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Is there a way of getting rid of that stuff off a thread from a post by a non member??? I have noticed these Icons get right in the way of the words in the thread when the poster doesn't have a member profile etc!!!!! Any ideas from the Mod Squad??
Cheers, Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ModSquad - Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 19:34

Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 19:34
Hello

Nothing to do with the Moderation Team - we don't design/create/modify the webpage. That's David's baby.

Either way, can you provide more information on what device you are viewing the web page on (PC, Mac, Ipad, Smartphone?) and browser (+ standard webpage or mobile version?) etc so David can assess your issue with more certainty. It would appear that you have zoomed in (enlarged fonts) but the various shortcuts have stayed the same size..or something ? On my PC, using Mozilla, at standard zoom there is no issue.

Cheers
The ModSquad
Moderation is just rules

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 522200

Reply By: Ron N - Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 20:08

Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 20:08
Kanga - I have been having the same problem with the icons overlying the text in the first post for the past few days.

I'm using Windows 7 and Chrome for a browser. I emailed the Mod Squad suggesting there could be a bug/error in the forum program - and was advised there was no problem with the forum program - but I had probably zoomed in and forgotten to return the zoom to 100%.

However - I hadn't zoomed in, and the problem showed up every day for several days, after I cranked up the computer each morning (which resets the zoom to 100% anyway).

Now, funnily enough - right after I got the email from the Mod Squad, I opened up this site again - and hey presto! - the problem has vanished!

I have no idea what happened. I can only suspect that perhaps Chrome has had a bug in it, and it has been fixed - or some stray code worked its way into the forum program, and then corrected itself. Whatever happened, the problem is gone for me.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 522204

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Thursday, Nov 28, 2013 at 07:12

Thursday, Nov 28, 2013 at 07:12
Hi Ron n,
I have my zoom on 125% and when I shut my computer down and restart it the next day the zoom is still at 125% it dose not reset to 100%. My computer might be different to yours but worth a look.
Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 803197

Follow Up By: Ron N - Thursday, Nov 28, 2013 at 12:54

Thursday, Nov 28, 2013 at 12:54
Andy - You're correct - my error. Zoom does stay set on startup, at what it was set at, on shutdown.

However, I rarely use zoom, except to occasionally examine a small photo in more detail - then I always return the zoom to 100%.

In Chrome, it's easy enough to see if you have zoom set to shrink or enlarge - the magnifying glass symbol immediately appears on the end of the address bar when you have zoomed in or out.

The bottom line is, zoom doesn't substantially affect the problem of the Facebook and Twitter icons overlying the text. However, I can just get the text to appear by shrinking the page to 90%.

Now - this morning, I cranked the computer up again and the problem has returned. I did some editing of the HTML code for the icon alignment on the webpage and the problem went away - until I closed the page and re-opened it.

I shut down the computer and restarted it, and the problem has disappeared again.
I'm starting to think there's a glitch in Chrome which is causing the problem - a conflict between some Chrome code and the forum code.

This forum must use some odd coding as it produces some weird results when you put up a post if you try to use regular symbols or the numeric keypad symbols.
For example, I can type in a simple plus sign and it won't appear in the post, so the plus sign must be used as part of some of the forum code.

I'll give some feedback to Google about the problem and see what they reckon. The programming of Chrome is also becoming exceptionally complex with the addition of a lot of mobile apps to the Chrome page.

Cheers, Ron.

FollowupID: 803212

Reply By: Kanga1 - Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 20:26

Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 20:26
Thanks for your input guys. I am also on Windows 7 using Chrome on my laptop. When the problem presented itself, I asked my resident geek (Mrs Kanga) and the first thing she checked was the zoom but it made no difference. But since reading your replies, hey presto, like Ron N the problem has disappeared.
Go figure?!
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

AnswerID: 522208

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 21:44

Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 21:44
Lol ! All that social media stuff sucks up a lot of time of the people I know who have it. Everyone has a phone but no one wants to use it as a phone. ! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

AnswerID: 522214

Follow Up By: Kanga1 - Thursday, Nov 28, 2013 at 00:14

Thursday, Nov 28, 2013 at 00:14
Know what you mean Michael, sometimes being a TechnoNeanderthal is a real blessing, cheers, Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

FollowupID: 803195

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Nov 28, 2013 at 13:43

Thursday, Nov 28, 2013 at 13:43
...many people just use a computer to surf the net and not for "computing" (its original intended purpose I assume) plus this forum is a type of social media that also contributes to time wasting - just what I'm doing now :)

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 803220

Reply By: Ron N - Thursday, Nov 28, 2013 at 13:58

Thursday, Nov 28, 2013 at 13:58
Kanga - I think I might have pinned down the problem, it appears that perhaps some "loose code" in the Chrome browser cache could be causing it.
The fact that it has been an erratic problem seems to point to this.

I've cleared my browsing cache and did a shutdown and restart, and the problem seems to be resolved.

Here's the relevant Chrome "help" page - https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/2457690

Click on the "plus" symbol where it says "Check the page in incognito mode".

Click on the "plus" symbol where is says "Delete your browsers cache", and follow the instructions.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 522254

Follow Up By: Kanga1 - Thursday, Nov 28, 2013 at 18:43

Thursday, Nov 28, 2013 at 18:43
Thanks Ron, I'll get the resident geek to try out the suggestion hopefully that will sort it out, it is an intermittent problem for us. Very frustrating when those icons cover up the meat of the thread somebody put up! Cheers, Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

FollowupID: 803260

Reply By: SDG - Thursday, Nov 28, 2013 at 17:07

Thursday, Nov 28, 2013 at 17:07
All works well on internet explorer. Have you tried a different browser?
AnswerID: 522270

Sponsored Links