New Ford Ranger/Mazda BT 50

Submitted: Sunday, Dec 08, 2013 at 20:25
ThreadID: 105419 Views:3676 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Newbie to forum.

Am very interested in the new Ford Ranger/BT 50.

Have placed an order on a 3.2l dual cab (ford) but delivery date is now out to May- June!!!!

Now wondering if it is worth waiting or i should cancel and look at something else.

Have looked around the sites and overall people seem quite happy. A bit of noise but hard to tell if these are real systemic problems or one-offs.

The car is well specked, so at this stage i am inclined to hold out but interested in user views on reliability now the new model is about two years old:

motor;
transmission, particularly the auto;
electrical.

Strong postives will see me hang on...i think.

Thx in advance.

jjaffahh

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Outback Gazz - Sunday, Dec 08, 2013 at 21:28

Sunday, Dec 08, 2013 at 21:28
Mate

Get on the NewRanger website and you will find the answers to all your questions !

I've got nearly 40,000 trouble free k's on my 6 speed auto Ranger and I can't praise it up enough ! I look after my cars but I also work them very hard as well ! My first auto and love it ! Recently did a trip from Adelaide to Mount Gambier and back on 1 tank of fuel (860 k's) Makes the current model Hilux look like a 1972 Holden Belmont ute running on 4 cylinders with 2 blown shocks and a flat tyre !!

Wait til May/June and after that you will be driving with the "Ranger Grin "

Cheers

Gazz

AnswerID: 522766

Follow Up By: Ross M - Sunday, Dec 08, 2013 at 21:55

Sunday, Dec 08, 2013 at 21:55
If you want just a GRIN, then the Mazda has it designed into the front sculpturing. It's what people don't like about it.
The Ford is "more better" for looks.
FollowupID: 803928

Reply By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Dec 08, 2013 at 22:53

Sunday, Dec 08, 2013 at 22:53
Generally I'd put a positive on them jjaffhh.

Reffering to a friends 18 month old BT50- auto which I have tested carefully against my Patrol (Petrol) in 4wd situations.

It tows a lot better than the 4.2TD Patrol it replaced.

They aren't as fast, quiet or as strong as the petrol Patrol but it felt quite good for the sort of car it is.

Reasonable engine breaking to and the auto was very smooth , many evaluate cars not on cost to run but on fuel use and its pretty good compared to the Patrol.

We run it a lot against a V6 diesel Navara - and I go for the Navara but its dearer and
in many ways as good or better apart from the power. It has HDC whereas the Navara
has a currently unsolvable problem with downhill runaway.

This car has been raised but the aftermarket spring hangers broke on corrugations.
Has had a heavy canopy and protection plates fitted and all this stuff has slowed it down.

Just recently it was chipped and this appears to have brought the performance back up.

All in All a good buy if this is the style of vehicle needed for your application - and defining your application is a key requirement for getting any car
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 522772

Reply By: coonick - Sunday, Dec 08, 2013 at 22:58

Sunday, Dec 08, 2013 at 22:58
I have had my manual xlt for 19 months, 34000kms.
awesome car onroad and off, as worthy and capable as any other top shelf 4wd on the market, ute or wagon.
Absolutely nothing wrong with the manual.
have been on a few good trips and had it loaded, given it plenty and it hasn't let me down yet.
have many extras which give it even more ability.
At the end of the day you buy what ever you want.........me I do not regret my choice at all.
AnswerID: 522773

Reply By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 14:11

Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 14:11
Hi,

We recently traded to a BT 50, auto diesel dual cab (2nd top model whatever that is) with a canopy and roof bar system capable of carrying 150kgs, snorkel, bull bar and driving lights. So far its only done around 4,000kms but we love it already for the ample space, and its fuel economy( Its more considerably economical when towing our almost 2.6 tonne van than our 2011 Pajero was.) as well as the comfortable ride and all the comforts of Sat nav and Bluetooth phone, USB port for iPod etc that we enjoy.

For us, it was the clear choice because of the appearance which we think is far more streamlined and less 'boxy' than the Ranger and most of the other utes. Also because we didn't want to own a Ford! lol. Obviously many others disagree with us!
Only had to wait a few weeks to get the colour we wanted which is titanium (dark) grey too.
We have had the electric brakes and in car breakaway monitor wired in, along with an Anderson plug (and heavy duty wire) for the 184 litre van fridge which keeps it as cold while we are travelling as when we are using gas or 240v. CB radio, antenna and reversing camera too.
On our recent 5 month trip to WA and the NT we saw many other caravanner's towing with BT 50's as well as Ford Rangers.
Sorry I can't help you with any of the 'technical' stuff but suffice it to say the other half is very impressed with it!

regards,

Heather

Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 522795

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 14:19

Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 14:19
They are a very good vehicle. I went for the Amarok but still liked the Ranger/BT50.
I have heard that some people don't like the BT50 styling. I do - it has got style. The Ranger looks like a brick.
I would also check the pricing. The Ranger is more expensive for what is basically the same vehicle.
The motor comes from the Transit Van and is a well tested and proven motor.
There have been some negative reports about the manual. I have not heard anything negative about the auto.
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 522797

Reply By: Member - Barry P (VIC) - Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 19:14

Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 19:14
ford ranger, was in devenport tasmainia about 10 days ago,at the ford dealer there was a 3.2 auto and a 3.2 manual,both twin cabs for sale, here in melbourne am waiting for a 2014 build auto, the wait time for it is now about 4 months ,was 6 months before when i orded it,bye barry
AnswerID: 522817

Reply By: Member -Shakeejob - Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 21:05

Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 21:05
I'm operating a 2012 BT50 auto, done 40000km ex Perth, up to Cairns and now back down to Canberra.
I cant speak highly enough of the ute, towing a 23ft Coromal loaded to about 2700Kg.
The Mazda handles it well. I had to get down a bit low coming up from Batemans Bay, following a truck up the hill, but with the option of slipping it into manaul control you have it covered.
I thought when I bought the rig, the Mazda's spec was better than the Ford, but essentially they are the same.
You wont regret your choice.
Cheers

Les
AnswerID: 522821

Reply By: Member - Peter H1 (NSW) - Tuesday, Dec 10, 2013 at 10:30

Tuesday, Dec 10, 2013 at 10:30
I got my Ranger Sept/12, now 43k on the clock 35k towing a 5'er GVM 7T.
Average 17-18L/PH km. Replaced worn out original tyres with Maxxis at 39k.
New pads and Roters at 39k, reset springs and fitted extra spring at the same time.
Travelled ex Sydney, Laura NQ, Karumba, Mt Isa, Toowoomba, Birdsville track, Oodnadatta Track, Adelaide, Srtzelecki Track, Newcastle, Narrabri, Sydney, Melbourne, Now in Tassie NW.
Great vehicle tows good.

PeterH
AnswerID: 522846

Sponsored Links