UHF install in Holden RG (2013) Colorado

I'm installing a UHF CB in my 2013 Colorado Crew Cab. I've worked out where to mount the components but I'm have trouble finding an easy access to switched 12 volts. My original plan was to just attach to the back of one of the cigarette lighter power sockets as they come on with the ignition and stay live till you open the door. However I can't work out how to dismantle the dash to get to the back of them. I tried both the front and rear one in the console.

Any suggestions for an easy access switched 12 volt source?

Thanks

Brad
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Jan 05, 2014 at 22:39

Sunday, Jan 05, 2014 at 22:39
Wiper motor is a better option than ripping the dash apart, Brad.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 523947

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Jan 06, 2014 at 07:37

Monday, Jan 06, 2014 at 07:37
Hi Brad,

What I have used in my vehicle is a piggy-back fuse adapter.
This enables you to add an additional circuit from an existing one with a blade fuse protecting each circuit. You pick a circuit to "tap" into, remove existing fuse, insert the adapter then install both the original fuse, plus the new one for the additional circuit.
The pig tail allows you to connect the new circuit up to.
You can tap into the fuse block inside the vehicle cab, or the one in the engine bay.
They are available from places like your Holden Dealer (expensive) or can be purchased on ebay, etc.

Piggy-back Fuse adapter

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 523952

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Monday, Jan 06, 2014 at 09:28

Monday, Jan 06, 2014 at 09:28
Hi Brad,
I have no experience with your particular vehicle.

What I did was wire the UHF, via a fuse of course, direct from the battery.

This gave me UHF without the need to have the ignition on. I find this handy when listening to traffic on the airwaves. On the couple of occasions when I have left it on accidentally it has made no difference to the battery SOC. These new radios require very little power on standby and not a lot more when transmitting.

Alternatively, wire it, via an inline fuse, from the cig socket and in this way it will be on when the acc circuit is on without the need to have the Ign on.

In my Cruiser and many other vehicles, the wipers only come on when the ign is turned on. This means, if wiring through the wipers that the Ign has to be on also.

This is OK if that is what you want but it does inhibit radio use to some extent.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 523960

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Jan 07, 2014 at 09:20

Tuesday, Jan 07, 2014 at 09:20
You're right about the wiper circuit, Bruce. Don't know what application I was thinking of at the time.........too big a hurry to stop Brad ripping the dash out!

Having a Toyota, I've always used that little junction box, under the bonnet with batt, acc & ign outputs, for wiring uhf's.

When we were out on the station, did wire the UHF direct to the battery on some machinery, but found the ACC circuit was the best, as UHF was on immediately the vehicle was started. On odd occasion, my days were somewhat spoilt by the odd staff member who didn't turn on the UHF, if it wasn't wired through ACC.

Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 805596

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 07, 2014 at 12:41

Tuesday, Jan 07, 2014 at 12:41
I see your point Bob re the ACC circuit. Good thinking. There is always someone who thinks they can outsmart the boss.

Most bosses I know have been there, done that. Including yours truly. LOL

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 805606

Reply By: Member - Broodie H3 - Monday, Jan 06, 2014 at 12:16

Monday, Jan 06, 2014 at 12:16
Hi Brad,
I wired mine straight to the battery, with an inline fuse, have not had any issues with it.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 523972

Reply By: Croc nsw - Wednesday, Jan 08, 2014 at 08:11

Wednesday, Jan 08, 2014 at 08:11
Hi Brad,
I fitted mine as you are thinking about.

The silver/grey strip that goes around the gear shift section on your front centre console pops off. If you lift from the rear section (closer to your handbrake) using your fingers or something plastic that wont mark your console, it will pop up then you can slide it back towards you, the two 12v sockets come with it.
Wire it on to the back of one of them and put an in line fuse between. Been working fine in mine for six months.
Then you only have to run your antenna lead through your firewall to your ariel.
AnswerID: 524077

Sponsored Links