Good service and good people in Roma

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 08, 2014 at 19:42
ThreadID: 105732 Views:2299 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Due to a family illness we were on our way 'home' for xms to the Atherton tablelands from Canberra where we currently live.
We took the most direct route north thru Dubbo, Walgett, Hebel, Roma, Emerald, Charters Towers in our 2006 1KZ Prado. Now the vehicle is normally very reliable and we have travelled many outback and Northern areas many in 4wd.
however this time just after passing Hebel (qld/nsw border) we had a xmas tree dash so we turned around and went back to Hebel where we turned off the Prado.
Guess wot - no more start nothing nada. Oh well lifted bonnet checked all connections etc etc- result 1 dead battery and still showing charge going thru.
I had a dual battery which I swapped over and make fit as LH fittings. started up all seemed ok. Off we go, stopped in St George for lunch. went to start, xmas tree dash again. Now as this is 2pm on the Sunday before xmas we were lucky to find a garage closing but no mechanic etc on duty. this time both batteries stuffed and voltmeter still showing adequate charge. V V baffled, anyway bought a new battery and fitted, hoping no other gremlins raise their heads, got to Roma for the night.
Next morning xmas tree dash again.
Oh bugger, this time anyway was a weekday albeit in Roma 2 days before Xmas. Got the Prado to Blacks Toyota who accepted the challenge to get us going, great service and very good people willing to fit me in and help. It turned out that the Alternator was stuffed and one battery had 'ballooned out'. BUT no alternator in Oz for 6-8 weeks (oh bleep time') The nice woman behind the service desk then rang repco, supercheap and some oyhers that were open again no part until a couple of weeks after Xmas.
I asked if there ws an auto lecy in town, turns out there was but on holidays. I walked around there anyway hoping to catch a break but Yep they were closed. On the walk back to Toyota I saw an Agri shop open with the same name as the auto lecy, turns out they were brothers. After explaing my situation they gave their brother a call and he came in, opened up and had an alternator in stock which I bought.
Took it to toyota got it fitted as well as a new battery etc no further Problems. Got 'home' xmas eve 8:00 pm.
Long story but I had to put out a big note of thanks to the staff of Blacks Toyota Roma for their time and effort to diagnose and get my vehicle going, nothing was too much bother. My biggest thanks tho is to the Dore brothers for listening and taking the time to come in from holidays and open up and get the available part.

Regards

Michael

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 3 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Jan 08, 2014 at 20:08

Wednesday, Jan 08, 2014 at 20:08
Country folk........ can't beat 'em.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 524110

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 08, 2014 at 21:05

Wednesday, Jan 08, 2014 at 21:05
I had a similar experience with a failed alternator on a Sunday afternoon in Albury as we were driving from Sydney to Melbourne. Alternator light came on some way up the track and we limped into Albury on the battery, no-one open of course. Picked an auto sparky business, rang the number on the shopfront. He left his barbie and friends, had no replacement to hand so re-built the alternator while we waited. Now that's service.

As distinct from my current vehicle dealer in Charters Towers who a few years ago listed $90 for an unscheduled handbrake adjustment on an itemised service invoice.

Said it was a difficult system to work on, they had to remove the rear hubs to do it.

Bull#$%. You turn the hub until a hole lines up with the adjuster and use a screwdriver or allen key or something common (I can't remember). It takes a minute each side and can be done while the wheels are off for the mandatory brake inspection. I didn't know that then, but I do now.

Oh what a feeling!
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 805701

Follow Up By: MactrolPod - Thursday, Jan 09, 2014 at 18:53

Thursday, Jan 09, 2014 at 18:53
The name Black Toyota is familiar. Heard a similar story a while ago, good on them for being good at what they do.
Nice read, great to hear of your experience.
FollowupID: 805757

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 08, 2014 at 20:51

Wednesday, Jan 08, 2014 at 20:51
Good story Michael, thanks for telling it to us. The "Xmas Tree Dash" bit's got me curious though, never heard that saying before. Guess it's a wee break, is it? Cheers, Bob.
AnswerID: 524113

Follow Up By: Member - John - Wednesday, Jan 08, 2014 at 21:11

Wednesday, Jan 08, 2014 at 21:11
Dash lit up like a christmas tree................... make sense now? LOL

Had me tossed for a minute also

Merry Christmas
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 805702

Reply By: rumpig - Wednesday, Jan 08, 2014 at 21:52

Wednesday, Jan 08, 2014 at 21:52
always great to hear a good news story like this where someone goes out of their way to help a complete stranger. i realise you would have been over the moon and thanked the guy at the time he did what he did, but i'd be buying something like some instant scratch it tickets and send them to him with a thank you note if that had been me in the same situation. doesn't have to be anything big, but i reckon it'd be a nice surprise for someone that's gone out of their way to help someone else.
AnswerID: 524117

Follow Up By: Member - Michael A (ACT) - Saturday, Jan 11, 2014 at 11:32

Saturday, Jan 11, 2014 at 11:32
Yep was a bad situation made good by the people who were only too willing to help.

The town itself also looks interesting and will be worth a longer visit in the future.

Regards

M

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 805848

Reply By: allein m - Thursday, Jan 09, 2014 at 11:40

Thursday, Jan 09, 2014 at 11:40
yes i agree with that so many negative post and horror stories about bad products or service

thanks you
AnswerID: 524138

Follow Up By: Member - Foot - Thursday, Jan 09, 2014 at 13:15

Thursday, Jan 09, 2014 at 13:15
Yep we had a similar experience in Blackheath in Winter, everyone asleep in the car for the night as there was no accommodation in town, slept at the front of the servo on the main road and the police checked on us a couple of times. The local publican heard our plight and offered us a warm bed later that night at his house. Jump started the car next day and made the run home, remembered his address and sent him a lotto and thank you note. Saved us a freezing night with the kids.
FollowupID: 805721

Sponsored Links