Camping on Kangaroo Island

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 14, 2014 at 19:00
ThreadID: 105820 Views:3484 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
We are planning a trip to Kangaroo Island at the end of this week ( by which time the cool change will be here!), and are travelling with the offroad camper trailer. The costs of taking the van on the ferry are astronomical and is even dear enough for the trailer and car alone...

We have done a bit of planning already and note there is a variety of camping options. These include conservation parks, National Parks and private sites.

But we would like specific recommendations for a camp site which is likely to be peaceful ( not overrun with hordes) and scenic. We have a four wheel drive and know how to drive on rough roads so the road less travelled is no deterrent to us. Being near water like a beach or river would be great but a view is a priority, as is nice vegetation and shade. I hope I am not asking for too much....

At this stage we are considering Western River Cove, Murray Lagoon Campground and Stokes Bay.Vivonne Bay has also been mentioned as a good spot. I am just a bit concerned that the weekend may get busy. We go this Saturday.

Does anyone have a recommendation?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jan 15, 2014 at 06:57

Wednesday, Jan 15, 2014 at 06:57
Hi ChrisVal

Have a look at past posts, as there have been a number of enquiries within the last few weeks.

Firstly I hope you have allowed a reasonable time frame to see all the Island, as it is far bigger than you think with 1600 kilometres of good roads on the Island.

Unlike many other mainland locations, you will not have big crowds over there and even this time of the year, you will have many location to yourself.

There are many great location over there on the Island, but one great little spot that you have not mentioned is the eastern and western areas of the Chapman River?

A great council campground right on the water is American River and the best caravan park I believe on the Island is the Western KI Caravan Park.

I have a number of blogs about the Island, so check out my blog details. Enough the Island, it is a fantastic place to visit.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 524537

Follow Up By: ChrisVal7 - Wednesday, Jan 15, 2014 at 13:21

Wednesday, Jan 15, 2014 at 13:21
Hi Stephen.
Your advice is very useful. I have previously looked at your blogs and found them very interesting indeed. I can see you love the place.

The Chapman Rivers camp sites has not cropped ip in my research. Is it a Private concern? I have a list of all the conservation park, national park and council run campgrounds and can't see it there.

We have a week so should be able to camp at two different camp sites.

A ranger has recommended West Bay as likely to be nicely secluded and quiet. She also suggested we might like Snake Lagoon and Stokes Bay.

We are after a quiet but scenic ( and shady!) spot. We are leaving before the long weekend, which will help!
FollowupID: 806237

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jan 15, 2014 at 19:14

Wednesday, Jan 15, 2014 at 19:14
Hi ChrisVal

The Chapman River area is public land and camping is permitted.

Head out of Penneshaw on the Cape Willoughby Road. The first section that will be signposted will be the Western side Camping area which hastoilet facilities, but access to the water is harder and this side has more shade.

To access the Eastern side, continue on and then you will see the sign to the eastern side. There is a large shelter shed and toilets at the end of the Eastern side, just follow the road, and see the third photo. The Chapman River is not deep, but crystal clear, just like rain water.

Enjoy your stay.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 806264

Follow Up By: ChrisVal7 - Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 16:21

Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 16:21
Again Stephen, solid gold information. This will probably be one of our camp sites.

I do hope the expected cool change comes through on Saturday as it is 40 degrees at Kingscote today!
FollowupID: 806330

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 20:01

Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 20:01
Hi ChrisVal

The cool change is now expected here in SA late Friday afternoon with the perfect weekend temperature of 28º C.

It should be perfect over on KI and enjoy the place.

One other point of interest that is well worth a visit to the Birds of Prey Show.

Birds of Prey Show

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 806354

Reply By: Member - Graham Watson (SA) - Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 00:47

Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 00:47
We found Browns Beach a pleasant spot. Towards the eastern end of the island (between Penneshaw and American River) and not far from Prospect Hill which is the highest point on the island. Solar hot water showers are available. There were a few people in the campground when we were there during April School Holidays but we were not crowded.
Graham Watson

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 524592

Follow Up By: ChrisVal7 - Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 16:19

Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 16:19
Thanks Graham.
It is great to have another option. We can call in and look at this one on our way past. Handy to have the pictures!
Chris
FollowupID: 806328

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 21:58

Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 21:58
Hi Graham

Yes it is a great little spot at Browns Beach and here are a few more images at low tide.

You also mentioned Prospect Hill. This is an absolute must climb and the hill is all sand, with unreal views from the top.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 806365

Reply By: Mazdave - Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 15:15

Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 15:15
Definitely Stokes Bay was the highlight for us. Right on the beach and whilst no showers it has toilets, quiet and a shady campground. From memory it was $10 a night, if the store is open, otherwise no-one to collect the fees. Western KI is the best park, which is a great spot to base yourself for the attractions on the South and Western sides. Vivonne Bay was small overcrowded and overrated. Ok if you like your neighbours at arms length. Steven L's blogs are a must read for research on KI.

Have fun
AnswerID: 524675

Reply By: PeterInSa - Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 16:45

Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 16:45
Cannot recall the place that we slide down the big sandhills, had a lot of trouble finding it as there were no signs. Maybe it was on PP.

Peter
AnswerID: 524682

Reply By: ChrisVal7 - Saturday, Jan 18, 2014 at 15:16

Saturday, Jan 18, 2014 at 15:16
Thank you everyone for the wonderful information and detail provided. It has helped enormously. I loved Stephen's blogs.

My husband Valdis has been out fighting fires with the CFS for the past few days and as a result we had to change our booking dates over and back on the ferry. We now go tomorrow. As our town was close to being evacuated yesterday we pray the weather holds fine for us.
Christine
AnswerID: 524718

Reply By: ChrisVal7 - Thursday, Jan 30, 2014 at 15:48

Thursday, Jan 30, 2014 at 15:48
Well, we have just come back from Kangaroo Island. The island is a beautiful place and we enjoyed wonderful weather, all of which is a bonus. We camped at West Bay, Rocky River and American River campgrounds. I wish we had been able to camp at the superb Chapman River sites but as it was the end of the school holidays and a long weekend, those spots were over subscribed.

While I have prepared a trip report on the trip, I can't attach it here as I am not a paid up member.

I am very grateful for all the help planning the trip - it made a big difference.

AnswerID: 525391

Sponsored Links