Schooling on extended trips

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 16:01
ThreadID: 10595 Views:1888 Replies:9 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
I am one of those unlucky people that cannot get away from work for an extended period at this time of my life - or rather, I won't quit my job to travel and uproot the family. However, there seem to be more and more people travelling for six months or a year with their kids.

Our kids are 3, 5 & 10 and I know they would cope with three months out of school because the "education they would get out of school would be so much broader and all that sort of stuff." I would think that now there should easily be modules that are available in a program that you can complete and email into school to show that you are continuing to study. Now that much of the school curriculum is on computer, surely such stuff is available and then I might be happy to go for longer or more frequently.

What is peoples experience in exploring this education stuff for kids on long trips.

Andrew2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
"We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing"
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mal (Brisbane) - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 16:42

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 16:42
Andrew,
We have met lots of families that have pulled their kid out of school for a year or so. There seems to be a few different systems. Some kids just had to keep a detailed diary of their trip, and do about one or two hours work a day, which is supplied by the school. Another system is correspondence school by mail and another is school of the air which is done over the internet. Your education department should be able to advise.

Mal T.
AnswerID: 47073

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 20:56

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 20:56
Have a look in Redfern, thats what happens with no education!

Im like you interested in how 6 mths on the road would work... it would be hard on the kids to try to get them to do anywork, as they are moving most of the time, then when they arent, they are seeing what there is to see..
AnswerID: 47117

Follow Up By: Fisherboy - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 23:01

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 23:01
Met a headteacher on the road up at the cape last year with his kids. Had been travelling for months. Main schoolwork was to keep an updated diary with good spelling, and spot on details of the trip. Reading books was the other main priority. Showed the 3 Rs are still in and most important.
FollowupID: 309107

Follow Up By: Brian - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 21:13

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 21:13
I know of 2 families that have done this and both lots of kids were far ahead of the kids they left behind, to the point were one was put up a class! The kids i knew studdied while driving ,diaries maths spelling!!!

Brian
FollowupID: 309243

Reply By: sails - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 21:21

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 21:21
Gooday Andrew and Jen,
we have just returned from 12 months on the road with our 6 y.o. daughter, who we educated for the year using the facilities provided by the NSW dept of Ed. "Distance Education" system. I dont know what system your state employs, could be similar. My wife was the stand in educator, as my patience was not good enough, and it did get difficult as we had a pupil who wasnt all that interested in doing school work. We met many families with 1, 2, 3, kids travelling for 3 - 6 months, and all were doing some degree of school work, if their kids were of an age that required them to be educated. Some had structured work programs designed by their school, and others were using a system similar to ours.
Some of those out for a short period like 3 months or less were doing less structured programs, but all were doing something. We used to give the teachers in Sydney our anticipated major mail drops and they would send envelopes containing each weeks work for us to complete. We would post these off at the end of each week, and we usually had a couple of weeks unused work in reserve depending on if we were going to be in isolated areas or near major population areas.
We were in a camper trailer, and it was a hassle, as the work was structured for a 20 hour week, and we felt it was designed mainly for families who were O/S for a period, but weren't constantly on the move ,as we were. It meant a slow start in the morning, or an early stop in the afternoon, as there was school work that had to be done. Eventually we became less focused on the over all curriculum, and concentrated on the things our daughter enjoyed, like art, and the things we knew she had to have if she was to slot back into school with her old class mates, like maths and reading /writing.
The school work was the biggest frustration for us on the trip, because we were spending so much time doing assignments which weren't relevant to our travels.
My suggestion would be that if you are going out in the middle of the school year, get some ideas from the maths teacher so your 10 Y.O. doesnt loose to much ground, and get that child to do a joournal, which should look after the reading /writing/ spelling side of school. Dont worry about the younger ones at all, and just have a really great family time together. What you can gain in family bonding is the most worthwhile benefit we found. Especially if ,as you say,:-
""I am one of those unlucky people that cannot get away from work for an extended period at this time of my life - or rather, I won't quit my job to travel and uproot the family""
Most of us are bonded into a job with the uncertainty of re employment should we decide to pull the pin and do it anyway.
Good luck and enjoy it.
Sails
AnswerID: 47121

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 22:10

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 22:10
Thanks for you encouraging story. You would think that in this day and age that distance education would be easy to arrange and that it could easily parallel the school system. The envelopes idea sounds a good one though you would think that more stuff would be emailable.
"We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing"
FollowupID: 309090

Follow Up By: sails - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 22:02

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 22:02
Andrew,
the real issue is usually how you go about getting 3-6months off work, or longer, and how you structure the cash flow. Business owner or employee, we can always find reasons (excuses ) why its "just not possible, at least not at present." A long term trip has a totally different feel to it to a 2-4 week annual holiday, and there is so much more to do before hand.
Hope you can sort it out.
Sails
FollowupID: 309256

Reply By: Richard & Leonie - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 21:33

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 21:33
My sister in Law and her husband did 9 months on the wallaby with 3 kids about same age as yours. The life education they got on the trip outweighed any disadvantage of not being in school. At their age you can teach them all they need to know and thats what Lo and Ben did. They set aside a special time every couple of days for schooling. They are all grown up now, the eldest boy is a chartered accountant, the middle girl is a Captain in the army, and the youngest has just completed his teaching degree and is teaching in Canberra. Because of the adventure (and others they have completed both singly and as a family) they are very self confident but very much family orientated. They are all adventurers and as a family rafted down the Franklin 1 1/2 years ago. The eldest boy is in Canada at present with his wife of adventuring again.
Go for it.Richard and Leonie, The grey nomads.
AnswerID: 47125

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 21:04

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 21:04
I guess that maybe I get a bit hooked into thinking about school as education and forgetting about the rest of life. Afterall, what you really want for your kids more than anything else is to be happy - and if I live by my motto below, I should have the courage of my convictions!2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
FollowupID: 309241

Reply By: Fisherboy - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 22:22

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 22:22
Greetings Andrew and Jen, Education is life, not out of books. Plenty of families on the road spending quality time as a family, reading maps, adding Klms, working out fuelage and costs. Go for it mate, forget about the formalism. Jordon
AnswerID: 47135

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 06:35

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 06:35
It sounds romantic out on the road for months on end but it does nag away a little bit in my mind that it might actually set the kids back academically (like they might have the same trouble as their Dad trying to spell stupid words like that!).
Might see you on the road somewhere Jordy-boy! Sounds like you have a trip in the offing.
FollowupID: 309125

Follow Up By: Fisherboy - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 08:40

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 08:40
I'll be!!!!! what do you want your kids to be.......something better than fisherman..........They're probably brighter than you think and can retain information beyond your expectations. They won't go back, you'll be amazed how little they learn in a few months in school. Spelling in school these days is if it sounds right.... its correct. I tell ya now mate, they will be educated in areas that a school will never cover. Keep up with the 3 Rs and ya kids will be in front. Look at our kids, we educate em, feed em, bring em up good..........I'll be stuggared......they buzz off all over the country.....Brisbane Kids, electrical engineer..... now off to Darwin. What a waste of worry......... we should have taken to the road years ago and stayed vagrants.
FollowupID: 309137

Reply By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 22:47

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 22:47
Hi Andrew,it's me!!!!!!!!!!!!!lol
Seriously though, mum and dad went around australia when I was 9 and they pulled me out of school then in Melbourne. I ended up going to 17different schools and I don't think it did me any harm at all. (No smart comments).
What I saw and learnt going around Australia, I thought then and still do, was a lot more than I would have learnt staying at school. I know we are talking 27 years ago and that education has changed, but hey, kids adjust, and I think the parents worry about it more than what the kids do. It certainly hasn't affected my life now, I am just as good as the next person in every thing I do. Geoff stayed in the same primary school and the same high school all his years and our 12 year old brought home some home work yesterday and Geoff didn't know how to do it, but good old mum here knew all about it. So it just goes to show his 2 schools and my 17 schools, really havn't made any difference......lol. Don't let it worry you about the kids education, they will cope better than you and Jen will.
See ya
KarenKind Regards
Karen & Geoff
(Happy holidaying)
AnswerID: 47142

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 23:00

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 23:00
Jeez your right, I can see what can go wrong....... No way I will take them out now!!!

LOL LOL LOL LOL haha haha haha2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
FollowupID: 309106

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 23:12

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 23:12
I knew as soon as I hit submit reply, I left myself wide open..........LOL
Maybe it wasn't the schooling that affected me, maybe it was because I lives in Melbourne for the first 9 years of my life. That would have to have an affect on anyone..........Sorry Jen
KarenKind Regards
Karen & Geoff
(Happy holidaying)
FollowupID: 309111

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 16:28

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 16:28
Education was better 27 years agoRegards Bob
Where to next
FollowupID: 309187

Follow Up By: Fisherboy - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 17:31

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 17:31
True, Bob & Lex,anything prior to 27 years, and who is better to educate the uneducated. When I see what has happened in Melbourne recently, shows education is a little wierd down there. I'd be takin off with me kids too. I am surprised to see Geoff has a Karen and Andrew has a Jen. I can see Melbournes population declining in the future.
FollowupID: 309199

Follow Up By: GOB & denny vic member - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 19:09

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 19:09
goodday andrew & jen sorry to have missed you last sunday anyway one lot of people we struck while travelling had the kids (older 2 0 doing maths every night they had a map and had to calculate next days travel and fuel usage killed 2 birds with 1 stone
btw was it you and jen putting vhs tapes onto dvd

steve
imagine a 03 gu 4.2tdin the picture
as i am having trouble sizing the picture
FollowupID: 309227

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 20:47

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 20:47
Steve - There's lots of Geoff's and Jen's and stuff happening around here. Just for your info, Geoff and Karen are different to Geoff and Jen; Andrew and Jen are different to Geoff and Jen. The two Geoff's are not in love and the two Jen's have a jen-uine friendship. Andrew and Karen have no aliases thank your lucky stars.
It was Geoff and Jen that were doing the vhs onto DVD I think - must be busy coz I haven't heard from them for a while!!
Andrew 2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
FollowupID: 309239

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 21:53

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 21:53
I think Fisherboy is alluding to the mass gay marriage thing that happened here recently. I am not sure if there is a link to our education system though. My understanding was that the incidence of homosexuality is fairly constant through different cultures.....now how have we got onto this!!!!
Andrew and Jon2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
FollowupID: 309253

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Jen - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 21:53

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 21:53
Here we are, no that far away. Busy being Grandies and Parents and a Son and Daughter has brought our life into a rut. With a new grandbaby and a dad passing away, and kids saying quick come! So there you go . Great to catch up again JenLooking forward to the cruise and snooze years.........Retirement
FollowupID: 309254

Reply By: terryo - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 19:34

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 19:34
A teacher friend of ours said don't let school get in the way of a good education when we were taking our kids out of school.
Got some work off the teachers before we left and fitted it in when we could.
Two in high school actually improved in marks in final exams after returning from holiday.
Terry
AnswerID: 47247

Reply By: Blackie - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 19:52

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 19:52
The majority of schools will be only too glad to help you with some ideas for the trip. Most schools could recommend a maths text book for primary age kids and even indicate the areas of study your child could miss while you are away you could probably even get the answers if you think you may have a problem. You could supplement the book work with practical activities along the way. Other curriculum areas could be dealt with the same way if you wish but i believe lots of reading and diary work should cover the rest. There are most likely heaps of teachers doing the same trip anyway, they'll help you out.
By the way what educational crisis occurred in Melbourne recently?
AnswerID: 47250

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 22:43

Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 22:43
Blackie, did you and someone else spend lot of last year travelling and playing with the dolphins at Monkey Mia and a great meeting in Geraldton?These are Diamantina Barra
GO HARD OR GO HOME
FollowupID: 309362

Follow Up By: Blackie - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 09:02

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 09:02
Not me Ruth but it sounds like a good idea.
FollowupID: 309660

Reply By: Paul63 - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 21:13

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 21:13
Andrew and Jen,
We read with interest the various replies to your question. We are both high school teachers in Sydney and have three children of very similar age to yourselves. In 1998 we spent six months with two pre-schoolers travelling Australia. On Easter Monday this year we will leave home for about three months to travel through Queenlsand. Two of the children are in primary school. We recently met with their principal and he was of the same opinion as ourselves - enjoy the time together as a family ! He was not recommending any formal work although we plan to have the children keep a journal, read and possibly keep in touch with their classmates through electronic communications. I am taking long service leave and it is not my intention to have school work dominate the holiday. We will be away from the everyday routines, including fitting homework around a multitude of activities. In short, the adventure of a lifetime awaits us all. All the best with your discernment of hese matters. If you plan to be in Qld during April, May or June we may meet you. Regards,
Paul.
AnswerID: 47258

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 21:42

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 21:42
Will be in Birdsville around Easter and then up north to Diamantina Lakes and then back home - only have two weeks. We did have six weeks in Cape York last year and will have two weeks for Birdsville and surrounds this year, and then 3 weeks for Corner country and Flinders in September...so we are not doing too bad!!2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
FollowupID: 309252

Sponsored Links