LPG conversion for 99 VX Prado

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 19:19
ThreadID: 10600 Views:2421 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone had any experience with this sort of conversion? or any stats on what the gas consumption goes up by?

Any recommendations on conversion people in Sydney greatly appreciated, as i am currently debating about converting to gas before doing atrip around Oz and seeing if the gas savings will cover the cost on installation.

Any info greatly appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Paul H - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 21:03

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 21:03
Hi, Macca
Not the same vehicle but we gas a gas system installed on our 3.5lt v6 Pajero.
For the sort of travelling we do( outback) & for the lack of economy & power on gas, we found it was a bad decision. We also had a lot of problems with backfiring on gas, where it ran perfectly on petrol.
I have since had it removed & installed long range & auxillary petrol tanks (total 210ltrs). I have never looked back.
Sure the fuel costs of our trips are more than they would be on gas, but we travel into the outback a lot & you cant get gas out there anyway.
These are just my opinions.
Good luck whichever way you go.
PMKGoogs track 2003
AnswerID: 47119

Reply By: Phil G - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 23:47

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 23:47
I agree with Paul. You have to sacrifice your main 90 litre tank on the Prado, and keep the 69 litre sub. Cuts your range a lot.

Then you have potential problems of how well it will run on LPG, and reduced economy. Then you have the withdrawal of LPG subsidies to happen over the next 4-5 years. And LPG converted Prados don't hold their value as well. The V6s are pretty economical on the highway provided you don't floor them or fit a roofrack.
AnswerID: 47152

Reply By: Macca50 - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 07:56

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 07:56
Thanks guys for the info. I was thinking of the coversion as we just bought a 17' caravan and was not sure how the economy would be towing it on petrol versus gas. I think I will stick with the petrol.
AnswerID: 47162

Follow Up By: flappan - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 09:02

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 09:02
When we were looking at buying a Prado , the articles we read were that the V6 doesn't tak gas real well.

The other issue is , that the Govt is changing the rules on LPG which will increase the cost of gas to something near petrol prices. Whilst that is still several years away . . its still something to think about in regards to covering your costs of conversion (something around $3500 I believe).

My personal opinion is , unless you are a Trady , or do in excess on 35, 000 per year its probably not worth the costs.
FollowupID: 309138

Sponsored Links