cape york trip

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 29, 2014 at 19:52
ThreadID: 106004 Views:2675 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all I am from Newcastle and we are planning a trip to Cape York mid June via Lawn Hill national park. Has anyone travelled between Karumba and the Peninsula Development road Via Koolatah, Oriners, New Dixie on the Dixie Road? I will probably hit this area about the first week in July and was not sure if we would be able to get through. Any information that you could give would be great, I have heard that 8 mile creek crossing could be an issue. I would like to hear from anyone who would also like to do this trip we are driving an 80 series with an Ultimate camper on the back.
I look forward to hearing from someone.
Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - sparra - Thursday, Jan 30, 2014 at 08:10

Thursday, Jan 30, 2014 at 08:10
G'day shaz n steve,i went through that way late august last year,it was a good run,road was in pretty good nick,a road crew was working on the road around oriners.i camped at the mitchell for 3 days on the dunbar side,very peaceful.The causeway was an easy crossing. i will go up the same way again next time. enjoy the trip.

cheers, sparra
no good being the richest man in the cemetry

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 525358

Reply By: Lyn W3 - Thursday, Jan 30, 2014 at 08:30

Thursday, Jan 30, 2014 at 08:30
Joe & Mel went through that way about Oct and there was a thread on this site, do a search and you will find it.
AnswerID: 525359

Reply By: Ian and Pen - Thursday, Jan 30, 2014 at 14:37

Thursday, Jan 30, 2014 at 14:37
Hi, Pen and I are doing the same trip at the same time as you. We are starting from Southern Highlands. Will look out for your 80 series and Ultimate, we shall be in 100 series towing a camper trailer.
Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought stupid than to open it and remove all doubt

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 525386

Follow Up By: Shaz n Steve - Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 12:56

Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 12:56
Ian and Pen we have just started putting some date together we will be on the road on the 15/6 and will be hitting Lawn Hill about the 25th and Karumba on the 29 and leaving for the cape via Dunbar. This is the part of the trip that we would like to travel together with another vehicle if possible so if you are going to be up there at the same time it would be great to catch up and travel with you.
FollowupID: 808089

Reply By: Ian and Pen - Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 06:56

Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 06:56
Hi Shaz and Steve.

The dates you are talking about once again are the ones we will be taking ie. hitting the road on the 15th June so lets keep talking about the trip and dates if they change. We intend getting as far north as we can. Must admit to not knowing about Lawn National Park will have to do a search.
Pen and I have a couple of trips planned in near future so not always available, we going to Tathra end of feb 1 week, then we crossing the Simpson over easter 3 weeks, so it will be all planning for us.
Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought stupid than to open it and remove all doubt

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 526255

Reply By: Member - RUK - Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 22:10

Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 22:10
Hello all. We are planning a trip to Cape York in August this year and would like to hear from fellow members if the thoughts on an itinerary that I have put together is feasible and doable or if we are taking on too much for the time.Please feel free to offer any suggestions that you can think of that can enhance our experience.

Here is the itinerary: Days are for the month of August
• Day 1 – Travel Gladstone to Townsville
• Day 2 –Townsville to Daintree
• Day 3 – Archer Point (south of Cooktown)
• Day 4 - Somewhere in the south or central of Lakefield Nat Park (suggestions on camping sites welcome here)
• Day 5 – Somewhere in the north of Lakefield Nat Park (suggestions on camping sites welcome here)
• Day 6 – Archer River Roadhouse
• Day 7 & 8 – Chilli Beach area
• Day 9 – Moreton Telegraph Station or Bramwell Junction via Frenchman’s Track
• Day 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 – Overland Telegraph Track; stopping wherever throughout this section-whatever takes our fancy. Please make suggestions-Dulhunty River, Gunshot Creek, Cockatoo Creek, Elliot/Twin/Indian Head Falls, Sam Creek, Fruit Bat Falls, etc etc etc etc.
• Day 15 & 16 – North of Vrilya Point on west of Cape or Ussher Point on East of Cape
• Day 17, 18, 19, 20 – Seisa, Punsand Bay, Tip, Thursday Island etc etc
• Day 21 & 22 – Weipa
• Day 23 Far south as possible- Musgrave Roadhouse; Hann River Roadhouse; Laura
• Day 24 – Jowalbinna: Aboriginal art etc
• Day 25 – Maytown
• Day 26 & 27 – Chillagoe caves etc
• Day 28 & 29 – Hightail it home to start work on the 30th (night shift)

Looking forward to the feedback and comments.

Russell
AnswerID: 528069

Sponsored Links