sights near Sydney

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 20:34
ThreadID: 10602 Views:2103 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all - looking for places near Sydney/Campbelltown that have great scenery and can be accessed with a family car. I'm visiting the area for 3 weeks and want to get away from suburbia occasionally but don't have a 4wd while I'm there.
Thanks in advance everyone
Cheers,
Alex.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 20:53

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 20:53
ANywhere around Picton, down to Kangaroo Valley which isnt really around there, but its all suburbia around Campbelltown...
The place is Hot, dry, and Lock your car... then Chain it down.
AnswerID: 47115

Reply By: LynnP - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 21:52

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 21:52
You can drive from Campbelltown, down the Appin Road, to Bulli Tops. Take the Bulli Pass turnoff and at the bottom, turn left to visit the beaches of Thirroul, Austinmer,etc. Turning right at the bottom of the pass you will head into Wollongong. Further south, you can head towards Kiama. Not a long or hard trip (no 4WDriving) but a pretty one
AnswerID: 47131

Reply By: Lyds - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 22:29

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 22:29
Probably depends a bit on where you are from.

Apart from the great ideas you have already you could also head up to the Blue Mountains or head out through Mittagong to the Wombeyan Caves (winding dirt roads with great views over the sides).

If you don't get to Sydney much, take a ferry to the Zoo ( a sensational part of suburbia). The M5 takes you from Cambelltown right into Sydney.

Cheers,
Stuart
- To err is human, to moo bovine -
AnswerID: 47137

Reply By: duncs - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 00:36

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 00:36
Alex,

Sydney is surrounded by national parks which are shown on the various maps of the place. If you pick up a Sydway street directory, borow one if you can, it will show you the various parks. The Royal in the south has beautiful secluded beaches, pools along the rivers and areas of rainforest if you don't mind walking there is heaps to see. Same up north around Kuring-Gai and in the Blue Mountains. Around Campbelltown there aer some pretty places out near Camden, and Picton.

There are some good books too. I have one called 200km around Sydney, by UBD mine iss pretty old but I bet there would be updated versions.

As others have said be aware of security but there are lots of naturally pretty places to see in the area.

Duncs.
AnswerID: 47159

Sponsored Links