Big Red – restricted access for Big Red Bash, 2-day music festival

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 04, 2014 at 16:32
ThreadID: 106079 Views:3372 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Big Red in the Simpson Desert will be closed at the times listed below for a two day music festival in July. Organisers have kept closures as short as possible to minimise inconvenience. The closures have been planned due to limited space for vehicles and for safety reasons and have been organised in association with the lease-holder Brook Proprietors/Adria Downs, Diamantina Shire Council, Queensland National Parks and Queensland Police.

4WDers are asked to use Little Red, 3km to the south during the closure periods.

BIG RED CLOSURE TIMES – 8th, 9th 10th July 2014

Before 12 noon each day - Limited access - 4WDs can drive straight across using the direct western and eastern tracks and the chicken run to the south. Vehicles cannot drive uphill to the north and onto the top section of Big Red and cannot use the alternative tracks (to the left) on the western side.

After 12 noon each day - Big Red closed - No vehicle access to the top of Big Red or on any vehicle access tracks.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 04, 2014 at 16:45

Tuesday, Feb 04, 2014 at 16:45
A music festival ! Now that's important! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 525747

Follow Up By: Member - DW Lennox Head(NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 04, 2014 at 17:13

Tuesday, Feb 04, 2014 at 17:13
Michael

It "is a fund raising event for diabetes research" that does make it a lot more important.

Maybe you will make a donation to Diabetes research!

DW
FollowupID: 807750

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 04, 2014 at 17:22

Tuesday, Feb 04, 2014 at 17:22
I didn't say the fund raising wasn't important! Its a bit like closing the Sydney harbour bridge for half a day for breakfast as they do! And no, I wouldn't like to make a donation, my wife and I have three favourite charities we support the best we can. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 807751

Reply By: ModSquad - Tuesday, Feb 04, 2014 at 17:54

Tuesday, Feb 04, 2014 at 17:54
No links to your site please. We will moderate this to remove the link then the rest is ok as a public service notice of the road closure.
Moderation is just rules

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 525751

Follow Up By: ModSquad - Tuesday, Feb 04, 2014 at 17:55

Tuesday, Feb 04, 2014 at 17:55
link now removed.
Moderation is just rules

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 807752

Reply By: Member - Jack - Tuesday, Feb 04, 2014 at 20:18

Tuesday, Feb 04, 2014 at 20:18
Looks like a terrific show, too. Darryl Braithwaite/Joe Cammilleri/Ross Wilson and James Reyne in one band. I could almost even tolerate 30 minutes of John Williamson patronising me to see that band.

And of course, a good cause.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 525765

Follow Up By: Luke2 - Tuesday, Feb 04, 2014 at 20:29

Tuesday, Feb 04, 2014 at 20:29
cheers Jack, it should be a great couple of nights.
just to clarify about the cause - this is one of a number of events being set up by the Born 2 Run Foundation (a registered charity) to raise funds for diabetes research. At the first event last year (Big Red Run) $160,000 was raised and given to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. Diabetes is a bit of a hidden scourge - however, 275 people are diagnosed EVERY DAY with diabetes. It also has lots of terrible effects on people, especially the young who get it and often leads to kidney damage and all sorts of complications in their lives.
Thanks to ExplorOz for the opportunity to let people know about the short closures (you'll be able to cross Big Red every day - just not during the afternoons).
BTW Jack - love your signature!
FollowupID: 807772

Reply By: Member - Jack - Wednesday, Feb 05, 2014 at 09:16

Wednesday, Feb 05, 2014 at 09:16
Hi Luke.
You are correct about diabetes. My dad had it and it led to his death from related complications, so it is always something I will try and support. I keep an eye on my weight and diet for those reasons.

And the concert should be terrific, apart from the Supergroup :), Kasey Chambers and (I think) her dad Bill will also be there. I must make an effort.

Glad you liked the signature :)

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 525781

Reply By: BuickM - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 17:39

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 17:39
Closing Big Red in the middle of the SA school holidays.... Not happy with that. I've been looking forward to a Simpson crossing for a long time and the plan WAS to leave Mt. Dare on July 4th but then we end up at a "closed" Big Red.

I support the fund raising but closing an icon like Big Red goes too far and will affect lots of (SA) travelers who don't care about the music and / or don't want to fork out $265 to sit on Big Red.
AnswerID: 526213

Reply By: Luke2 - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 18:11

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 18:11
Gidday BuickM,
we've worked pretty hard to keep disruption to a minimum. It's only the afternoons where we need to close it off because it's a bit crazy with 4WDs flying over the top with people moving around when the festival is on in the afternoon. And we hope that by letting people know with plenty of time you might be able to time your arrival.
What we found people did last year was that if they came from the west and arrived when it was closed (for one day last year) they'd go to Birdsville via Little Red then come back out the next day to have a play on Big Red (it's about 35km from Birdsville). But most people managed to time it so they weren't inconvenienced.
I realise this isn't perfect and does need visitors to help us by being a bit flexible and we thank you for your understanding. We are 4WDers ourselves and we like nothing better than a play on Big Red!
But on the other side of the coin - the community of Birdsville and the whole Diamantina Shire is right behind the event - it's going to bring a heap more people to town which will help out in lots of ways – and the businesses get a bit of an extra boost and the social club gets behind us with sausage sizzles. The local police and Queensland Tourism are supportive. And we’ve kept it away from the Birdsville Races because that’s already a crazy time of year.
Yes, you are right, July is a busy time of year - but the town is looking for ways to build events in the small window they have when travellers pass through and the community and council has been very welcoming of the music festival at this time of year.
Big Red is actually on a pastoral property and for years the Brook family have generously allowed 4WDers free rein on the iconic dune so when we wanted to plan the Big Red Bash our first job was to see if they were okay about the festival and the access restrications – they also welcomed the festival with open arms.
So we hope that visting 4Wders are able to help us out a little by staying flexible. It’s a great cause and we’ve got the community and businesses behind us for what should be a great event.
Thanks for reading this far!
AnswerID: 526217

Follow Up By: BuickM - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 23:50

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 23:50
Thanks for your reply Luke, much appreciated.

Disruption is only in the afternoons, so I have to schedule my 600 km. desert crossing to be there before midday and miss out on relaxing, touring and sunset on Big Red. People go to the Simpson for the desert, remoteness, freedom, sunsets etc. NOT to run into a restricted area.

This event is in the middle of an official, legal and recognized 4WD track / icon. Why do you organize an event in the middle of this area during peak season? Why not use Little Big Red?

Letting us know with "plenty of time" is not correct. Lots of people (check the 4WD forums) start planning a Simpson trip 18 to 24 in advance because of time, long service / annual leave, money, duration, school holidays etc. And, the closure is not even on the Big Red Bash website.

Last year you closed it for 1 day, you can't compare that with 3 days this year. If people arrive at July 8 they have to wait for 3 days to get access. Or, have a quick run before midday. That's asking for a lot of flexibility.

Obviously this event brings in more money for the Birdsville and Diamantina Shire so they don't mind blocking a 4WD track and icon. Maybe South Australians can turn off on to the Hay River Track at Poepel Corner to avoid Birdsville and stay in NT / SA. Seems like Qld prefers the music festival over Simpson crossings in July.

And a question: Why isn't it on the Big Red Bash website that you close Big Red for 3 days? Shouldn't you inform travelers BEFORE they end up at a restricted Big Red?

To be clear, I've got nothing against this event and the fund raising but I think you shouldn't do it during peak season on a 4WD top location. I understand the timing, but not the location and I hate restrictions in the outback. For a lot of people you're spoiling a once of a lifetime opportunity to tackle Big Red.

Cheers,
Buick
FollowupID: 808440

Sponsored Links