Fuel v distance

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 22:38
ThreadID: 106146 Views:2018 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, me again...
Question this time, for you patient bloggers..
Esperance to Balladonia via Cape le grand and cape arid.. Worked out about 500km, to take road condition into play, driving a diesel prado and pulling a cub camper, I get about 1200km to a tank with out a load. Opinions on wether we need to carry extra fuel. Not to sure on fuel consumption with the camp trailer behind, any ideas? I haven't really any idea on the track conditions in this part of the world.. Thanks Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony (ACT) - Sunday, Feb 09, 2014 at 06:24

Sunday, Feb 09, 2014 at 06:24
You will have no problem making the distance with the fuel you carry.
I have done the trip you describe in the reverse direction and got all the way to Esperance with fuel to spare.
AnswerID: 526018

Follow Up By: Member - Odog - Sunday, Feb 09, 2014 at 07:27

Sunday, Feb 09, 2014 at 07:27
Thanks Tony,
I have been to Esperance and Cape Le Grand before, but not Cape Arid. What vehicle did you do the trip in? And we're you pulling a camper/trailer? Also how is the road? Sorry for all the questions... We leave for Perth in 3 weeks, so just starting to get excited I guess.. Lol
Cheers Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 808149

Follow Up By: Member - Tony (ACT) - Sunday, Feb 09, 2014 at 09:27

Sunday, Feb 09, 2014 at 09:27
We were in our old Troopie and not towing. From Balladonia to Israelite bay the track was quite slow and rocky as you get closer to the coast you get to the tea tree scrub and you need to be careful of branches sticking out onto the track.

We camped at Israelite bay for a week, with a drive down to Pt Malcolm, and up toward the Baxter Cliffs.

A few mud holes on the way to Cape Arid, just be careful if you try to drive around them as it can get boggy. I found because the water was laying there the bottom of the hole was firm.
FollowupID: 808156

Reply By: Shaker - Sunday, Feb 09, 2014 at 09:40

Sunday, Feb 09, 2014 at 09:40
Although you didn't mention if your Prado is a D4D or 1KZ you won't have a problem with either. You could work on around 15 - 16 litres per 100kms.

AnswerID: 526026

Follow Up By: Member - Odog - Sunday, Feb 09, 2014 at 09:54

Sunday, Feb 09, 2014 at 09:54
G'day Shaker
It's a d4d. Manual.. Just wasn't sure if the track from cape arid to eyre hwy was going to be slow going.
It's good to get feed back, and to know that it should be fine with fuel.. Didn't want to back track, and have to go round via esperance and Norseman .. Thanks heaps

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 808160

Reply By: get outmore - Sunday, Feb 09, 2014 at 09:54

Sunday, Feb 09, 2014 at 09:54
I did pt culver to israelite including the beach run then the telegraph track including checking out every bay along the way then to poison creek via bellangers beach and then thomas river doing the entire beach run (you have to double back as its only one entrance) and on to esperance . 700km from memory
did that on the factory 80 series tanks

dont make the mistake of taking parmango road to balladonia from cape le grande as you miss out on alot of good spots such as old homesteads, juranda rock hole, mt ragged etc
AnswerID: 526030

Follow Up By: Member - Odog - Sunday, Feb 09, 2014 at 10:08

Sunday, Feb 09, 2014 at 10:08
Cheers get outmore
From cape arid, we were planning on going up the balladonia rd.. Having a camp trailer on, and just the wife and I, bit cautious about to much beach driving... We're you towing anything? We want to have a good look around, stay 3/4 days in the area.. Any other info to share, which you think might help, would be good to hear. Thanks heaps. Odog

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 808162

Reply By: Member - Peter G20 - Sunday, Feb 09, 2014 at 21:52

Sunday, Feb 09, 2014 at 21:52
Hi Odog.
We have just done the route you have suggested.
Driving a diesel patrol towing a camper trailer hard floor.
No worries with your fuel supply. You can buy fuel at Condingup ( turn off to the Duke of New Orleans Bay.
The Balladonia road is not too bad. The first 30 ks of the last 60 ks at the Balladonia end is a bit rough and deeply rutted in places, so slow down.

Cheers Pete.
AnswerID: 526095

Follow Up By: Member - Odog - Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 15:53

Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 15:53
G'day Pete
That's good to know, could you tell me ,is there also a bit of a shop/general store at Condingup? Thanks heaps

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 808311

Follow Up By: nickb - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 00:35

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 00:35
The pub is also the fuel station which is also the general store.

Highly recommend a burger from the pub, it's big enough to feed two!!!
FollowupID: 808347

Sponsored Links