Nissan Roofracks ?

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 13:33
ThreadID: 10619 Views:5467 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Can any body tell me if a Roof rack off a GQ will fit straight on to a GU Patrol(ARB orTJM type) Thanks in advance for any info.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: towbar - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 13:53

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 13:53
not sure if width will be an issue or not .on the underneath side of the gutter it tend to slope up at an angle which in some circumstances can cause the clamp to pop off the gutter .some manufacturers have solved this by putting a piece of rod under the gutter in a small channel under the gutter.Better still sell the rack u have and buy a rallyspeed rack from sydney i think approx $850.00 alloy mesh floor .i have even noticed malcolm douglas uses them.mine still going strong after 180.000klm,corrugations the works .Hope this helps best of luck with it
AnswerID: 47197

Reply By: Michael_FNQ - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 15:03

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 15:03
No the roofs are different. Gu has a narrower roof. If you have the new style ARB rack it will adjust in and fit the roof.
AnswerID: 47207

Reply By: Roachie - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 15:10

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 15:10
Pitboss,
I have a mate who changed from an 80 series cruiser to a GU patrol and kept his roof rack (home made with full length gutter supports). The rack was about 35 mm too wide for the Patrol, but we gently compressed the sides together in his carport by placing one side up against the brick wall and using 3 hydraulic jacks and blocks of hardwood. Took a couple of hours of mucking around to get it just right, but worked very well.
I would think the GQ would be a fair bit narrower than the GU, especially at roof level.
To test it, get a legth of timber (or plastic electrical conduit etc) and attach a 6" piece of "something" to it at one end at 90 degrees. Place that on top of the roof of each truck with the "something" on/in one side's gutter. Use another piece of the same "something" to drop vertically to the gutter and mark it off on the piece of wood/conduit. Do the same on the other truck and work out how much difference there is between the 2. I wouldn't think you could adjust the width of the feet more than about 40mm, but it would depend on the individual rack. If it needs to be spread, rather than compressed, you'd simply need to set the jacks and hardwood spacers up in between the supports and push them apart.
Cheers,
Roachie
AnswerID: 47209

Reply By: awill4x4 - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 21:40

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 21:40
Nope GQ racks won't fit GU's. The gutter widths on GQ's average 1364mm and GU's are 1314mm also the GU gutters are further up the turret than the GQ ones so the GU racks should be about 35mm shorter in the legs than GQ ones as well.
The angle on the gutters of the GU's is also different and should use clamps slightly different to normal.
Also be aware that the Ti versions have an extra plastic/rubber edge protruding into the gutter, this presents problems with thickness of legs.
Regards Andrew.
AnswerID: 47265

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 23:16

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 23:16
Pitboss,
I've fitted my GQ ARB rack to my 2000 GU, I had to adjust it because as pointed out the widths are different, I also had to purchase some new outer clips from ARB to hold the roofrack on the GQ ones hit the rubber seals on the doors. My experience, others may vary.Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 47272

Reply By: Member - Bob W - Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 07:57

Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 07:57
I fitted my GQ rack to my GU (full length gutter support) by bending legs to suit, bit of mucking around with the risk of scratching new car but it fits ok.
Bob
AnswerID: 47284

Sponsored Links