Road conditions

Submitted: Friday, Feb 14, 2014 at 07:49
ThreadID: 106233 Views:1721 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All, I am heading off from Wollongong next Thursday, 20th, at approx 7am heading to Coffs Harbour, towing a 21ft van. Usually I would go straight through Sydney via the Eastern Distributor but my son tells me I should go via the M7, heading down Heathcote Rd to the M5, onto the M7, then onwards to the Newcastle Freeway. My concern is the bit of road where the M7 joins Pennant Hills rd. My recollections of this Rd are that it is very clogged up. please advise your thoughts.
Cheers
BillM
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member Andys Adventures - Friday, Feb 14, 2014 at 09:25

Friday, Feb 14, 2014 at 09:25
Hi Bill,
It would be better if you left latter so as when you get to Sydney your not in peak hour. The M5/7 are good roads and no lights wide lanes and will be quicker. Pennant Hills Rd will be ok after 10am and normal traffic flow. But its not far to the M1 and your off to Coffs 2 lanes all the way to Port Macquarie. Then one lane till Kempsey.
Cheers Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 526413

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Friday, Feb 14, 2014 at 09:41

Friday, Feb 14, 2014 at 09:41
Take the turnoff at the top of Mt Ousley across to the hume highway, then M7, M2, Pennant Hills Rd, M1 (F3) north. Far easier and quicker but leave it to a bit later so you don't get up to around Liverpool area till around 10 ish as you will have a straight through run at that time.
AnswerID: 526418

Reply By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Friday, Feb 14, 2014 at 09:55

Friday, Feb 14, 2014 at 09:55
We use Picton Road north of Wollongong to get us onto the Hume Highway and then it's smooth driving all the way through using the M7. No lights and only a few kms the northern end before you get onto the Freeway north towards Newcastle. Theres clear signage all the way too.
Makes getting through Sydney so much easier.
As others have suggested, we also find it's best to time it so you aren't there during peak hours, around mid morning.
regards,
Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 526420

Reply By: bill m - Friday, Feb 14, 2014 at 14:21

Friday, Feb 14, 2014 at 14:21
Thanks for the good advice guys. I should have clarified my departure as Helensburgh hence my comment about going down the Heathcote Rd but I agree that heading back towards the Gong and then getting onto Picton Rd would be the best option. I,ll
give it a go and let you know how it pans out.
Cheers
BillM
AnswerID: 526441

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Feb 14, 2014 at 15:22

Friday, Feb 14, 2014 at 15:22
If you are starting at the Burgh I suggest it is not worth backtracking that far. It will add another 40 km and 15 minutes to your trip. Cool your heals on the Heathcoat road.

Aim to be on Pennant Hills Road after the school brats are safely ensconced in their classrooms. It's the school traffic that chokes areas like that. If you are returning that way, get through before the mothers are on the road to pick up their little dears.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 808649

Sponsored Links